Pacific Jewel Melbourne Cup Cruise Cancelled

Kiwi_cruiser

Karen, P&O said on their site that cruises J033 - J035 were cancelled and they didn't anticipate an impact on other scheduled cruise departures. Once the dedicated team from France arrive and progress has been made on the full repair, they will be able to provide an update.

So, at this stage, J036 is still going ahead.

Perhaps I should just clarify, in the telephone call from P&O advising that J035 was cancelled, the caller also advised that the first confirmed PJ sailing was J037.

Thanks for clarifying that info NZguy! - Makes it easier when you get the whole story. What I posted was what P&O put on their site.

....Quote:....... don't anticipate an impact on other scheduled cruise departures. Once the dedicated team from France arrive and progress has been made on the full repair, we will be able to provide an update. End Quote.

This sounds to me as though they are unsure at this stage, which of course is natural, given the circumstances. The French engineers have to investigate the problem first.

Anyway, I hope J036 does go ahead - and that all those passengers who have had their cruises cancelled can find another holiday to enjoy.

Sorry for those who have had cruises cancelled. I did warn about OV2s (Jewels) engine probs before she headed South so they have known about it. Guess they ran out of sticky plaster fixes!

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=20227328&postcount=5

Maybe the Brits should have said that it runs on "Super" and not "Unleaded 91".

Single Cruiser,

The previous problems with OV2 were generator related and impacted electricity availability, per your original post. The current issues are with the propulsion motors, so a different issue. As I have noted elsewhere, the ships are 'run' quite hard from Sydney with a 1,000nm run to and from Noumea. I'm sure the poor old girl will be herself again shortly!!

David

According to P&O at this stage it is planned to go ahead. Cruises J033 - J035 are cancelled.

P&O Cruises Australia: We don't anticipate an impact on other scheduled cruise departures. Once the dedicated team from France arrive and progress has been made on the full repair, we will be able to provide an update.

When they cancelled J032 they didn't expect J033 or J035 to be impacted either. Sadly, that was not the case.:(

:)

Thanks for clarifying that info NZguy! - Makes it easier when you get the whole story. What I posted was what P&O put on their site.

....Quote:....... don't anticipate an impact on other scheduled cruise departures. Once the dedicated team from France arrive and progress has been made on the full repair, we will be able to provide an update. End Quote.

This sounds to me as though they are unsure at this stage, which of course is natural, given the circumstances. The French engineers have to investigate the problem first.

Anyway, I hope J036 does go ahead - and that all those passengers who have had their cruises cancelled can find another holiday to enjoy.

Hi ,

Its a shame the cruises have been cancelled and I really feel for those who had the holiday plans disrupted.On the the other side I applaud P&O for taking the hard but correct decision to fix the problem completely and not just do a makeshift fix.They did that with Pacific Sun until it broke completely.Now after extensive repairs its going gangbusters.

When I sailed on Jewel this year I thought it was one of the quietest and smoothest running ship I have sailed on.

Lets hope all works out for the better .:)

Col :)

Single Cruiser,

The previous problems with OV2 were generator related and impacted electricity availability, per your original post. The current issues are with the propulsion motors, so a different issue. As I have noted elsewhere, the ships are 'run' quite hard from Sydney with a 1,000nm run to and from Noumea. I'm sure the poor old girl will be herself again shortly!!

David

Surely it's the same. The Engines burn fuel-oil and generate electricity which is used both to power the ship and to power the motor that spins the props!

In the P&O statement it said engine not prop motor.

In her last season she frequently had to run at reduced speed and was late arriving as often running on one of her two engines. In port she normally drops down to one engine which they normally alternate but must have been same one as even in 2009 when I was on we had a power cut and was restored by starting the other engine!

Surely it's the same. The Engines burn fuel-oil and generate electricity which is used both to power the ship and to power the motor that spins the props!

In the P&O statement it said engine not prop motor.

In her last season she frequently had to run at reduced speed and was late arriving as often running on one of her two engines. In port she normally drops down to one engine which they normally alternate but must have been same one as even in 2009 when I was on we had a power cut and was restored by starting the other engine!

The Pacific dawn lost all power to the engines this year nearly taking out the gate way bridge in Brisbane, 2009 The Pacific sun lost all power to the hole ship for six hrs off the coast of suva.

from face book

Hi everyone,

As we mentioned in yesterday's communications, P&O Cruises' staff will be at Flemington Racecourse on Melbourne Cup Day, Tuesday 2 November from 9am until 1pm, to give out entry tickets. Please note, photo identification must be presented and tickets are only available for passengers affected by the unavoidable cancellation of J033.

Passengers can access a printable map, to easily locate the ticket collection on the day: http://goo.gl/XQ2S

If you are planning to make your own travel arrangements to attend the Melbourne Cup and would like to collect your tickets, please let us know at your earliest convenience, by emailing melbourne.cup@carnivalaustralia.com.

In the email, please include your booking number and the full names of everyone who plan to collect their tickets.

Thanks

P&O Cruises

hi,

mmmm this has got me thinking?

2 things if it is the propulsion motor room problems on deck 1 this is right near the propellers....so to get to think dry dock means taking the shafts and rudders off a huge job?????see images of deck 1 on ga plan.

or on deck 2 there is a room called propulsion electric motor room which is deck 2 not near the propellers and shaft area... see deck plan deck 2 ga plan.

so it must be around this area that is the problem.

cheers matt

deck 1

img003.jpg

deck 2

img004.jpg

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f383/carnott1961/img003.jpg

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f383/carnott1961/img004.jpg

Hi All

Just want to say i booked my Melbourne Cup cruise 15 months ago on the Pacific Jewel. To say i am disappointed is an understatment. This is the second cruise that i have had cancelled by P&O.

Having said that at least they gave us enough notice to make alternate arrangments which i did and we are now flying down and have accomodation in the CBD. So i will still get to use my enclosure tickets that we purchased but it wont be the same at all as it is all the hype leading up to an event like this and i had never dont it before.

I would not be too sure that the ship will be back in service in the near future. So if i were any passengers that are booked maybe just start to have a plan B just in case.

So today has been a better day then yesterday and i will be glad to get on the plane on Sunday and then cant wait to get among the revellers at the Melbourne cup and soak up the atmosphere and check out the rose gardens and then witness the race that stops a nation, that is the running of the 150th anniversary Melbourne Cup. GIDDY UP :D

cheers

Kruzein

I'm glad you're making the best of it and it's great news that you found accommodation and flights - it's obviously not the same as a cruise but at least you'll be there for the Cup (not to mention shopping on non race days - lol).

We had actually booked this cruise sometime last year, but decided to change the booking to the Tahitian Treasures cruise in May this year when that became available at a great price.

We re-booked the Jewel for next year's Cup cruise so fingers crossed all will be well by then.

I hope you enjoy the Cup and that the weather is kind to you.

Sorry for those who have had cruises cancelled. I did warn about OV2s (Jewels) engine probs before she headed South so they have known about it. Guess they ran out of sticky plaster fixes!

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=20227328&postcount=5

Ok ok.So I know how many Band Aids to buy what are the problems we should be aware of with OV/Pacific Pearl.

Do you think that P&O have added to the situation by cranking up the number of passengers they put on board?

I mean these ships coming down here were designed to cope with "x" number of pax.

By adding all the quad cabins, it must put extra pressure on what the ship was designed to handle...

eg...

extra number of showers per day

extra number of times the toilet is flushed

extra number of meals from the galley

extra number of sheets to wash

extra number of towels to wash

etc..etc..

Archived