Glory Stuck In Nassau............

nassaucruiser

If vouchers were given out because of a mechanical failure he got lucky. Probably just complying with 240. Plus, doing things like that is one of the reasons why the top six airlines in the country are in or near bankruptcy. Cruise lines don't fall under those Federal laws (don't think the airline would do it because they are good guys do ya) And I say again, just because something does not happen as we expect it to (including an unexpected mechanical breakdown while underway) does not give us an entitlement or expectation to get some additional perk(s)! Plus, when a plane breaks down they often can substitute another, pretty hard to do that with a ship.

Well, they may not have to but you'd think they'd do a little more than that for missing 2 major ports for something that is their failing. That's a huge part of the vacation. Sure, you make the best of it, but clearly, the passengers did not get what they paid for. I'd say a $200 credit at least plus a discount off a future cruise.

"My beef is that, as soon as my wife and I decided to get off the cruise, we were treated shabbily," said Margo, who recently moved to Cocoa from Long Key. "We were told to arrange for our own baggage transfer, and we were treated like second-class citizens. We just moved from the Keys. That's the last place I wanted to see. I wanted to see the Virgin Islands."

that was from our local paper

http://www.flatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050222/BUSINESS/502220332/1003

"

How about mech failure. My son was given 3 flight coupons worth $500 each because his plane had mech failure and he arrived at his destination 10 hrs later then he should have. Mech failure and weather are two complete differant issues.

Your son is lucky...we have had many flights interrupted by mecahical problems....my daughter goes to school in KY and flies back and forth frequently...my DH travels for business....mechanical disruptions have happened more frequently that not, and neither has EVER gotten a thing.....if you pay top dollar for your ticket, maybe you get compensated, but if your buying your ticket, discounted from Expedia...forget it...you get squat.

Your son is lucky...we have had many flights interrupted by mecahical problems....my daughter goes to school in KY and flies back and forth frequently...my DH travels for business....mechanical disruptions have happened more frequently that not, and neither has EVER gotten a thing.....if you pay top dollar for your ticket, maybe you get compensated, but if your buying your ticket, discounted from Expedia...forget it...you get squat.

have NEVER ever paid top dolllar for a ticket. Son is studant. infact, low budget airlines do more for you then the big expensive guys................

. Let alone mech failure. AIRLINES offer MORE then $100 for mech. failure.!!! Airlines are doing everything to keep you as a customer.

[/b]

The airlines I have flown on have only moved us to a new plane if the one we were supposed to fly on had problems. No airline has ever given me money or vouchers because a plane had engine problems.

It seems as though a lot of people think that Carnival could have prevented these engine problems or should have been able to predict them. Well the next time your car breaks down on the road ask yourself "Did I know ahead of time that this was going to happen?". Mechanical parts fail....things break down....it just happens sometimes. I was on the Elation and the azipod broke. It was no ones fault...it just broke. Stuff happens.

I feel bad for you but at least you get some compensation.

We had booked Oct. 23 for Mariner of the Seas last Sept. over a year in advance. We picked that week because our friend is a manager in retail and cannot go after Nov. 1 and later in the fall is always better as far as hurricanes.

In Jan. we were notified the ittneary was changed and that we would not do Jamacia. We tried to switch to Oct. 9 but it was a no go-unless we paid $100 PER PERSON more.

We had just done Costa Maya on Inspiration last year so we did not want to go back there-we ended up changing to Oct. 2 and doing the St. Thomas,St. Marteen, Nasssau cruise. We were still charged $20 a person more.

I found all that unfair-I know that is a popular ship and the prices only go up on it -which is why we booked so far in advance- but I felt as they would turn around and sell our previous booking for more money then we paid that this was unfair. Heck I don't know why they bothered to notify us of the ittenary change if they were not interested in helping us rebook so we would get the ports we wanted.

I realise things happens. Sometimes there can be problems with the ship, hurricanes can change things too. Like you though I feel if the cruiseline really appreciates my business they would try to make me happy.

One thing Carnival will do if you write and complain after you get home is they will offer you a dscount on a future cruise.

I am on the March 5 sailing, and I just called Carnival at 1-877-885-4856. The woman I spoke to said they "expect everything to be fixed." I know it's a very general answer, and it hasn't really eased my mind. Maybe others on this Saturday's sailing can call and get better info, then post the results here?

they were about as forthcoming to me too. The ship is limited by Speed of Advance (SOA) hence their decision to stay near the States. They'll be limping into Key West on Wednesday, boarding some techs, who may or may not be able to make repairs depending on the parts required. Many are watching...

This morning's article in Florida Today (Link above) said Tech's were already on-board in Freeport. That would make sense. Why wait another day to get working on it.

I'm sure they're just telling us what we want to hear at this point.

After the Holiday breakdown and the P&O Aurora World Cruise cancellation I'm sure Carnival is hot on the case. That's all they need is another big problem.

Lets keep our fingers crossed.

Thanks for the updates, Lucy. We are scheduled to leave on the 4th, so fingers are crossed that you are good to go next week.

I am sailing on 3/5 Eastern Caribbean on Glory. I already went to key west I have my heart set on seeing St Thomas and St Maarten. I hope the ship if fixes by then. I am also a TA and booked two other couples for that week.

Here's the latest - as of 10PM EDT - we are limping towards Key West at 9MPH. The "word" among the crew is that tomorrow is the key day. If repairs can be made in port, then no cancellations are needed.

For those who offered opinions, Carnival has provided $100 per person refunds for the missed ports. In my case, I've never been to Key West, so I do visit a new port. Things happen, so I will not fault Carnival.

IMHO, a week at sea beats a week at work. Despite the change in ports, there is still no cellphone, no fax, and no work stress. Life is good!

Regards!

IMHO there are several factors here. I agree the comparison between airlines and cruiselines are worthless, airline travel is usually a one day event as opposed to a week on a ship, and they have the availability of other planes. I also think that weather related changes are "Acts of God" and not under the control of either the airline or the cruiseline.

Planning a vacation brings on many expectations (not to mention the time spent researching destinations, activities etc.). I mostly prefer cruising the Eastern Carribean for the ports of call - also the shopping in St. Maartin, cost of hanging out and drinking in port there. Part of my vacation planning is how much money I will need to do the things I want to do, and many times I reserve activities in port in advance. When your itinerary changes so does you finances! Just compare the cost of a drink in Key West as opposed to a drink in St. Maartin! (Then multiply it by the number you and company may have LOL) And then the souvenirs you were going to bring back for 10 family members and friends went up another $100! And the 5 bottles of booze ... forget that. Forget that ring you planned on buying and just GET OVER IT .. yeah sure! The pictures you have been staring at of the beautiful islands, dreaming of the 85 degree temperatures are all out of reach.

Yes, there is a lot of disappointment and I think the cruiseline should do what they can to pacify the guests. $100 credit is an insult especially since it has to be spent on the ship anyway and cost them very little. They are saving money on fuel that will more than make up for it! A "Sorry this cruise has disappointed you, but please come back with 50% off on you next cruise so you can do the things you missed" is a great way to retain your customers and also great free publicity when they tell their friends how great Carnival was under the circumstances.

very well put. ..... I only compared airlines with the thought of keeping a customer happy even at a loss, and we all know the situation with the airlines now days.

I also agree, weather and mech failure are two differant things. I missed the bahamas last sept due to hurricane . .. it was sad, but hey, nothing we could do. But, it was weather........

Also, considering not all of the guests on that ship would book that half price offer, its a win, win for carnival. Its the thought that counts.

remember all those people that got stuck in there swim suits over night on Royal's private island because the sea was too rough too tender...... ?

The story's were great, and the people were still happy. They were offered a free cruise. .,..... cold, wet and hungry. even scared, but still happy! :D And had a great story to tell.......

again, I see things from a customer service perspective. Having my own company, its all about keeping people happy. You can do it even by making them think you are giving them a great deal, when in reality, its a better deal for YOU!:D Great Moral' is eveything.

Archived