A day at Labadees

cynt

I just returned from Labadees and there are a few things I want to point out about the private island. I had not been there in 6 years so I was shocked and elated at the new and improved private island.. 6 years ago it was one huge massive beach w/ a pavilion for the BBQ, beach volleyball nets and a huge make shift warehouse for the Haitian vendors. Now it is truly a wonderful beach paradise for everyone. This was one of our favorite ports.

The first thing I noticed is that it's clean and has that special retreat resort feel. I thought for sure I was at a private beach resort. The area has paved paths as well as white sand paths to lead you to various destinations on the island. There is more than one beach front. Do not stop at the first beach on your left keep walking and exploring and check out the beaches on the right hand side behind the trees. There are several beach alcove areas and I was really impressed at the layout of the island. Think of the island area as a peninsula with things to do on both sides. As you first enter the island and go beyond the entrance you find the first beach alcove. It’s the left side of the island with the current. It’s a long stretch of beach and waterfront access. The water looks spectacular and this is also the area where the long zipline suspends over the water. We stopped at this spot first like so many others before we went and explored the island. It’s rocky and not really designed for the kids to play in the water. Excellent views and photo ops, especially watching people zipline across the ocean. However as you continue down the path in the middle of the island and go further onto the island there’s another beach area along the left side you will see with smoother waters. This path dead end into the market area. There’s a building housing some vendors as well as another path heading onto the other side of the island with numerous vendors on both sides of the path. Take note, you do not have to go to the end of this path to get to the other side of the island. Along that main path down the center of the island are walking paths to take you to the different alcoves. So if the haggling for business bothers you don’t go to the end of the path. Cut through and use the various trails and walkways to get to the right hand side of the island. On the right hand side of the island the water is calm and the entrance to the water is better suited for lounging around and playing at the beach. I think there are three alcoves on this side. Each alcove on this side of the island is separated by trees and shrubbery; make shift walls and walking paths. There are walking trails connecting the alcoves. Yes one of the alcoves is for the suite guests w/ the cabanas but there are two other beach alcoves for everyone else. I point this out because you don’t need to rent a cabana to enjoy the calm waters. There are still two other beach alcove areas FREE OF CHARGE. These areas are very large with plenty of room and space for everyone.

There are numerous trees throughout the private island and at all the beach alcoves. Of course the shaded areas fill up fast but there are plenty to go around. I’ll say half were under trees which provided much needed shade and half weren’t but don’t worry because there were blue shade/tent/thingies available to shade you as well. And it’s not jammed pack crowded because of all the different beach alcoves available. There are plenty of lounge chairs available for everyone. The restrooms are plentiful and clean. They even have an outdoor shower to rinse off the sand. There are several pavilions which serve the BBQ lunch and numerous tables and chairs to enjoy your lunch.

I enjoyed this day because it was a nice lazy beach day. I didn’t anticipating staying out there all day but we did. We enjoyed every minute of it.

I've heard that the beaches are so rocky its hard to walk without those watershoes. Did you say the beaches to the right of the island were better? I really would like to find a sandy area to go into the water and get wet, maybe float on a raft for a bit. Would I go to the right after getting off the ship?

• 4 weeks later...
I've heard that the beaches are so rocky its hard to walk without those watershoes. Did you say the beaches to the right of the island were better? I really would like to find a sandy area to go into the water and get wet, maybe float on a raft for a bit. Would I go to the right after getting off the ship?

there were some rocks and one beach which I think is mainly used for snorkling was rocky but the beach to the right was golden sand and the water was warm and clear. Beautiful place. We just got off FOS on Sunday

I just have to say that we were there less than 2 weeks ago and I thought that it was horrible. I used to love Labadee and was looking forward to having a nice relaxing beach day. After getting off and being stalked by a local who followed us for a half a mile trying to "help" us find a chair, we simply picked an empty spot and relaxed in some chairs.

I don't mind the locals trying to make a buck and I'm used to it from previous visits so it was more of an annoyance than anything else.

What really bothered me was the water/beach. We were on the ship side with the multiple alcoves where it is fairly calm. The garbage that was floating in the water and on the beach was disgusting! There was pop cans, plastic bags, diapers, and all sorts of assorted trash floating in the water. I tried to go swimming and was completely grossed out by the experience. I kept thinking, why can't they have some people cleaning the beach/swimming area instead of standing around bothering people to find them chairs?

When we got back on board the ship I rinsed out my swimsuit and hung it up to dry. The next day my wife was asking what that smell was in the room? She got closer and took a whiff of my suit and ran to the bathroom and almost got sick. It smelled like raw sewage, it was absolutely rancid. I just kept thinking what was I swimming in yesterday?

This was just my experience during my day at Labadee and I want to say again that I always enjoyed Labadee prior to this. I would probably give it one more try but I hope that it gets cleaned up and maybe next time I'll just try swimming on the "rough" side.

I just have to say that we were there less than 2 weeks ago and I thought that it was horrible. I used to love Labadee and was looking forward to having a nice relaxing beach day. After getting off and being stalked by a local who followed us for a half a mile trying to "help" us find a chair, we simply picked an empty spot and relaxed in some chairs.

I don't mind the locals trying to make a buck and I'm used to it from previous visits so it was more of an annoyance than anything else.

What really bothered me was the water/beach. We were on the ship side with the multiple alcoves where it is fairly calm. The garbage that was floating in the water and on the beach was disgusting! There was pop cans, plastic bags, diapers, and all sorts of assorted trash floating in the water. I tried to go swimming and was completely grossed out by the experience. I kept thinking, why can't they have some people cleaning the beach/swimming area instead of standing around bothering people to find them chairs?

When we got back on board the ship I rinsed out my swimsuit and hung it up to dry. The next day my wife was asking what that smell was in the room? She got closer and took a whiff of my suit and ran to the bathroom and almost got sick. It smelled like raw sewage, it was absolutely rancid. I just kept thinking what was I swimming in yesterday?

This was just my experience during my day at Labadee and I want to say again that I always enjoyed Labadee prior to this. I would probably give it one more try but I hope that it gets cleaned up and maybe next time I'll just try swimming on the "rough" side.

This is horrible. Did you give these comments to the corporate office of RCI? If not, it needs to be done. I have always loved Labadee but if it has become this bad my opinion will change. We will be there Dec. 13.

Archived