What to get Mom for Bon Voyage gift?

Izzblizz

My Mom is taking us adult kids/spouses and the grandkids on the Fantasy this December. I wanted to get her a Bon Voyage gift to thank for the cruise. (First time cruise for me and my SO, but Mom has cruised many times with Dad before he passed away a couple years ago).

I am thinking flowers (althought the choices are not so hot, I hate roses, they just seem so generic. The tropical arrangemnet looks ok).

She is 70 years old, and an experienced cruiser. What Bon Voyage gift would you do? She doesn't drink.

This basket looked nice, but as she has to fly back to North Dakota, not sure how practical it is. http://www.carnival.com/BonVoyage/AddToCart.aspx?cat=Specialty+Items&pid=7F8

Food or cake just seems kinda silly when you are on an all you can eat floating ship :p

Also, one other question when I looked online, I have to have her booking number? (that kind of ruins the surprise if I ask for that?). If I call can they just look her name up? Was planning on calling to get some Bon Voyage Liquor for us anyway. (we have our own booking number, but looked like had to give them hers to get her gift delivered to her room).

What about paying for her to go on an excursion? I'm sure she would love to be offered this gift back. You can either pick the excursion for her, or pick one out as a family.

Flowers die, food gets eaten, this would be making a memory. Memories are priceless for all involved!

Whatever you decide, have a wonderful cruise!!

Oh great idea! I didn't even see that on the bon voyage, I must not have been looking in the right place. Where do I get that? Or do you buy onboard?

You may have to get it on board. You can always call and ask.

Wonder the Jewerly shop on board with her see if she picks something up and then puts it back as it's not something she would buy herself but likes. There's a lot of items that are not really expensive. I always see something that I would like and wear but doesn't fit in my budget right then. Or something that I just don't feel right buying for myself. Or what about either photo coupons or have a nice family photo done and buy it, frame it and give it to her while on the Cruise. They have frames with the Ships name on them. What ever you get her I'm sure she'll love it.

Wonder the Jewerly shop on board with her see if she picks something up and then puts it back as it's not something she would buy herself but likes. There's a lot of items that are not really expensive. I always see something that I would like and wear but doesn't fit in my budget right then. Or something that I just don't feel right buying for myself. Or what about either photo coupons or have a nice family photo done and buy it, frame it and give it to her while on the Cruise. They have frames with the Ships name on them. What ever you get her I'm sure she'll love it.

Oh those are great ideas too!! Glad I asked. I know she has purchased a lot of pics on past cruises of her and dad, so she would probably like a good family portrait (as if 13 of us can pull THAT off, lol!). If the picture is framed on the cruise, do they ship it home to you??

It would be nice to maybe have some token of appreciation in her room. Just so she knows we do appreciate it at the start.

I agree with the family photo. When we were on the Dream last Jan. There was a special for pictures done on canvus. We had a beautiful family pic done and it looks great. Have Fun!

Canvus? Or do you mean canvas? They screen print it onto canvas?

(sorry total newbie if this is some cruise term).

Call me old fashioned but IMHO it is kinda cool to have something fun in your room upon arrival. Flowers will last the whole cruise - or a bottle of champagne to toast sail away.

The portrait is also a great idea - if you can swing both I know she'd be thrilled!

Call me old fashioned but IMHO it is kinda cool to have something fun in your room upon arrival. Flowers will last the whole cruise - or a bottle of champagne to toast sail away.

The portrait is also a great idea - if you can swing both I know she'd be thrilled!

I agree. Plus going to float the idea by my sisters, just in case they decide to get flowers too! Although my sisters are completely disconnected from the whole cruise thingy. I think they are of the "Just tell me where to show up." Whereas I am a super planner (on all my trips, even though this is my first cruise.).

I am sure if I mention that we should go together on flowers or some cabin thing, plus a picture and/or spa treatment, they will be like "huh"? lol.

My daughter and son in law got us some candy. Really simple, but just loved it. It was a mixture. A container with dividers and about four different kinds. Sometimes it is nice to just have some sweets handy without having to go to the buffet or where ever. Sure they didn't pay an awful lot for it, but was fun to have it in our room when we boarded. Plus we could offer it to everyone else when they came to our room.

Last year we went to Walt Disney World with my god mother who was celebrating her 75 years old. Before we left i looked in all my picture (old and recent) and got her a photo book with her husban and kids. Then i put it in my luggage and manage to put it on her bed. She was so happy. When we got back she was showing her photo book to everyones that went to her place.

What ever you get her you can ask room stewart to put it in her cabin or ask to the waiter or Maitre D to bring it to your table while your eating.

Even if fowers are nice to have i beleave that it will be better if she can keep what your going to give her.

I agree. Plus going to float the idea by my sisters, just in case they decide to get flowers too! Although my sisters are completely disconnected from the whole cruise thingy. I think they are of the "Just tell me where to show up." Whereas I am a super planner (on all my trips, even though this is my first cruise.).

I am sure if I mention that we should go together on flowers or some cabin thing, plus a picture and/or spa treatment, they will be like "huh"? lol.

Well...if they are anything like my sisters they will say you plan it and tell us how much!:)

Last year we went to Walt Disney World with my god mother who was celebrating her 75 years old. Before we left i looked in all my picture (old and recent) and got her a photo book with her husban and kids. Then i put it in my luggage and manage to put it on her bed. She was so happy. When we got back she was showing her photo book to everyones that went to her place.

What ever you get her you can ask room stewart to put it in her cabin or ask to the waiter or Maitre D to bring it to your table while your eating.

Even if fowers are nice to have i beleave that it will be better if she can keep what your going to give her.

Oh that is a nice idea too! I will have to find out her room number pre boarding if we do something like that. I assume you just go down after boarding and tip the steward to put it in her room?

also be aware that I have in the past ordered surprises for my daughters b'day and they did show up but with no card which they assued me would be in the room. At least you are on the cruise - my daughter spent a whole week trying to figure out who or why she had these things in her room!

How about several photo coupons? Maybe with a plate of the chocolate strawberries?

Another idea is pay for and go with her on the Behind the Fun tour of the ship if she has not done that before. If she likes cruising she may really enjoy that tour. You have to sign up right when you get on the ship.

Jen in SoCal

My Mom is taking us adult kids/spouses and the grandkids on the Fantasy this December. I wanted to get her a Bon Voyage gift to thank for the cruise. (First time cruise for me and my SO, but Mom has cruised many times with Dad before he passed away a couple years ago).

I am thinking flowers (althought the choices are not so hot, I hate roses, they just seem so generic. The tropical arrangemnet looks ok).

She is 70 years old, and an experienced cruiser. What Bon Voyage gift would you do? She doesn't drink.

This basket looked nice, but as she has to fly back to North Dakota, not sure how practical it is. http://www.carnival.com/BonVoyage/AddToCart.aspx?cat=Specialty+Items&pid=7F8

Food or cake just seems kinda silly when you are on an all you can eat floating ship :p

Also, one other question when I looked online, I have to have her booking number? (that kind of ruins the surprise if I ask for that?). If I call can they just look her name up? Was planning on calling to get some Bon Voyage Liquor for us anyway. (we have our own booking number, but looked like had to give them hers to get her gift delivered to her room).

How about several photo coupons? Maybe with a plate of the chocolate strawberries?

Another idea is pay for and go with her on the Behind the Fun tour of the ship if she has not done that before. If she likes cruising she may really enjoy that tour. You have to sign up right when you get on the ship.

Jen in SoCal

Oh that is a good idea too! I will have to discretely ask if she has been on that before.

I just got her room# out of her! So at least know that now.

Behind the fun is a great idea, just do it asap. only 16 people per cruise get to do it. I did .it on the Dream, LOVED IT! :D:D:D it was 95.00 however I got 3 8x10 photos of us on the bridge,very tip of the ship...plus a hat, lanyard,bracelet,bag....with the prices on the ship we got back more than 95.00 in stuff...

also a good idea would be a digital camera as a gift, then the memories will last forever.

I believe it is $55 on 5 day or less cruises and the tour is shorter. We were on a 7 night on the Spirit and it was $95 and billed as 3.5 hours but went about 4. I wish I had gone, my family who went loved it. It was a real highlight, plus the goodies they felt it was worth the $95.

Jen in SoCal

Behind the fun is a great idea, just do it asap. only 16 people per cruise get to do it. I did .it on the Dream, LOVED IT! :D:D:D it was 95.00 however I got 3 8x10 photos of us on the bridge,very tip of the ship...plus a hat, lanyard,bracelet,bag....with the prices on the ship we got back more than 95.00 in stuff...

also a good idea would be a digital camera as a gift, then the memories will last forever.

I know she has purchased a lot of pics on past cruises of her and dad, so she would probably like a good family portrait (as if 13 of us can pull THAT off, lol!).

Our 10 immediate family members plus aunts and uncles cruised last January. The 10 of us went down to the photo area in the staircase on formal night and had a bunch of 'proper' pictures taken. Then the photog says "GROUP HUG !" so we all leaned in and HUGGED each other - we were all laughing ! It was the best picture and I have it on my wall as we speak ! Great memories ! I recommend that !

Our 10 immediate family members plus aunts and uncles cruised last January. The 10 of us went down to the photo area in the staircase on formal night and had a bunch of 'proper' pictures taken. Then the photog says "GROUP HUG !" so we all leaned in and HUGGED each other - we were all laughing ! It was the best picture and I have it on my wall as we speak ! Great memories ! I recommend that !

ahhh!!! that sounds super cute and fun! I am just imagining someone with their eyes closed in every pic! But yours sounds much more fun than stiffly posing for a pic and trying not to blink!

Archived