SeaDream I & the hurricane

Jim Avery

Any news out there as to what/where SDI will go with Hurricane Tomas due possibly (according to some computer models) over Puerto Rico? Looks pretty sloppy down there. Hope all fare well. I expect the Captain will do the usual good job of finding a safe harbor.

J.

Just got back from the 7-day and yes, the hurricane did change plans a bit. We had to change the order of the ports of call (no big deal to me) and we had some very rough seas in St. Barts (it took one tender 1 1/2 hrs to get in) and could only spend one day there.

I had the scariest ride of my life on the last tender in from St Barts. The tender was jumping 3-4 feet in the air and the stairs were swinging back and forth in a most alarming way. The SD crew was AMAZING! They got all 5 passengers back on board safely. My hands were shaking when I got back to the cabin, but I was so impressed by the way the crew handled the situation that I quickly settled down. OK, maybe the cocktails I had once back on board helped too;)

Saba was also a no-go because of the heavy swells so we went to St Martin instead - better shopping so I was happy (not sure DH would say the same...)

Saddest of all was no "Splash" at Jost Van Dyke because of the swells caused by the hurricane. We had to have the Splash onboard. Crew was fantastic, but it's really not the same, is it?

We were traveling with some SD first timers and it would have been great if we could have made it to Jost. Captain tried to hold the splash at other locations, but it just was not possible. Oh, well BBQ was fantastic and served Topside.

Chef Tomaz (sp?) is very talented. I loved all the food onboard and thought it was even better than last year. Wine selection was hit or miss but we ordered a couple of very nice bottles from the cellar at great prices and were able to try some wines that are just too expensive at home.

Housekeeping staff were wonderful as always and I can't say enough good things about the spa ladies. Staff also did some lovely things for our anniversary that were much appreciated, especially since we didn't give them any prior notice.

The trip was so wonderful in fact that all 4 of us made an open booking for next year.:D

All in all a great time had by all and it's comforting to know that SD will do everything in their power to make your trip the best it can possibly be even if a nasty hurricane blows in.

I forgot to add that there were only 48 passengers on our SD I sailing and 2 of them left part way thru, so then we were 46. It was a different dynamic than when we sailed last year with 100 passengers on board. It was much quieter and the TOY bar only had only 5-10 people after dinner.

Both were very enjoyable and I'd be happy to sail again with 100 new friends or 48 new friends. It's just a different experience

Archived