Smoking Policy?

OCruisers

What's the Smoking Policy on Star Clippers?

This from the ship's daily newspaper on day one-

"For the comfort and safety of your fellow passengers, please respect the smoking policy onboard: smoking is allowed on the open decks with the exception of the aft deck close to the zodiacs. Smoking is strictly forbidden in all enclosed areas including your cabin. Pipe and cigar smoking are only permitted on the sundeck."

I would assume that this policy is worded the same, or very close, on the other ships in the line.

• 3 weeks later...

In the other thread Star Flyer/Clipper several people reacted to the smoking policy on the ships. When I boarded in Cannes on October 2nd, there was nowhere to sit being in the Tropical Bar. Smokers everywhere. When Jo and Jan and myself brought up the subject with Captain Mariusz, the same day the signs were on the bar. Thank you Captain, much appreciated, but wind is not always blowing in the same direction the whole day, and to me it seems only the non smokers are aware in which direction the wind blows! This is probably caused by the smell! The bartenders are doing their best, but especially German passengers seem to smoke a lot and are not very co-operative when asked to sit in the other side of the bar. The company policy states smoking cigars and/or pipe is only allowed on the sun deck is not working. Since then the daily programme mentioned the smoking policy on a regular basis, but I still got the impression that the smokers did not understand the rules (or did not wish to, I don't know). The first week we had several cigar smokers, and they all smoked in the Tropical bar. During the crossing there was one pipe smoker (American) who smoked whenever possible, wherever he was. Brrrrrr. I heard that on the cruise from Barbados to Panama a friend of mine had to go inside during a performance of local dancers, and that the hotel manager refused to do something about it. Seemingly the smoker was in the middle of the tropical bar. The smoking policy indeed changed over the last couple of years, thank goodness no more smoking in the piano bar and the restaurant, but I hope they will ban the smoking of cigars and pipes completely. In the meantime we have to ask the bartenders to change the signs and ashtrays to the right side of the ship, or do it ourself. No problem for me.

I still had a nice cruise, met very nice passengers and will do a crossing again next autumn.

Smokers unfortunately seem to rule the ship on these cruises (just returned from one on the Star Flyer). Yes, they have the litle signs for no smoking on the one side of the bar area. But, smoking is allowed virtually anywhere on the ship, and is quite annoying. Europeans seem to snub their nose to any requests, and no one asks if you mind them smoking. We even found people trying to smoke on the side with the signs for no smoking, hoping they could get away with it. Might be the reason that the percentage of Americans has gone down significantly over the years.

Originally Posted by pralientje

"I heard that on the cruise from Barbados to Panama a friend of mine had to go inside during a performance of local dancers, and that the hotel manager refused to do something about it."

Indeed, this happened. :( I am the one who talked to the hotel manager, after our friend had to leave a wonderful performance in Cartegena due to her reaction to cigar smoke when a passenger lit his cigar right in the middle of the Tropical Bar. This passenger had been asked by several other passengers rather loudly to put it out and ignored that, so our friend had no choice but to leave. I went to find the hotel manager to ask him to at the very least have the cigar smoker move all the way to the far edge of the smoking section away from the non-smoking section, but he would not even do that, much less enforce the no cigar policy. The manager argued with me.... my favorite :rolleyes: quote of his, "What do you want me to do - throw him overboard? I can do nothing."

I know of THREE people on the ship who were physically ill the day after this occurance due to the cigar smoke. One woman told me she had to use her inhaler for the first time in 4 years after this.

My husband is refusing to go on more Star Clipper trips until the smoking situation improves. I love the two trips we have taken (so does he) so I very very much hope things change for the better soon.

... My husband is refusing to go on more Star Clipper trips until the smoking situation improves. I love the two trips we have taken (so does he) so I very very much hope things change for the better soon.

Age and national origin play a key role in attitude toward smoking regulations. It is my impression that older Europeans tend to feel they are entitled to smoke what, when and where they want too. They have the same “right” to smoke that non-smokers have to breathe clean air.

We must have had an extremely compliant group of passengers on our cruise. Smoking and smokers weren’t an issue. However … If you haven’t done so already, you need to make your position on future cruises aboard Star Clippers known to their management. They do understand loss of revenue. Inconsistent application of corporate smoking policies aboard ship is a problem on all cruise lines.

Age and national origin play a key role in attitude toward smoking regulations. It is my impression that older Europeans tend to feel they are entitled to smoke what, when and where they want too. They have the same “right” to smoke that non-smokers have to breathe clean air.

We must have had an extremely compliant group of passengers on our cruise. Smoking and smokers weren’t an issue. However … If you haven’t done so already, you need to make your position on future cruises aboard Star Clippers known to their management. They do understand loss of revenue. Inconsistent application of corporate smoking policies aboard ship is a problem on all cruise lines.

My husband is working on a letter to Star Clippers as I "speak".

Archived