If You Like To Think Of The Star As A Good Ship...Do NOT Read This Review

SailorJack

The Parthenon on top of the Acropolis in Athens. It is going through renovation now and just really great in a year or two.

2250605120106582660S600x600Q85.jpg

The Parthenon was not the only struture on the Acropolis. This is the Temple of Athena.

2422966180106582660S600x600Q85.jpg

A theatre cut into the base of the Acropolis.

2133117280106582660S600x600Q85.jpg

Some of the statuary was magnificient!

2250531100106582660S600x600Q85.jpg

Dear Sailor Jack and Sailor Jill,

We write trip stories for our website , but NOTHING can compare to your hysterical writings.

We hope to be in BC around next August, and would be honored to meet you

Would love to meet you, but we have taken up residence in Atlanta now, but I know you will enjoy your trip to BC.

"...........had spent several weeks with the Biscotti tribe and so fell in love with this cornmeal cookie that the great Biscotti chief, Lleen-goo-inni, had the recipe written down and presented it (along with several other traditional tribal recipes) to Amerigo – which he took back to his hometown of Florence."

"Lleen-goo-inni"!!!

Can't

Stop

Laughing!

Well written.

Glad you liked it. I was going to have more fun with that one, but ran out of space.:)

Loved the article!

You mentioned you took a cab back to the airport. Were cabs readily available outside the ship when leaving. We need one to get to our hotel. Did they take credit cards?

Thanks

Pam

When we left the port I did not see any cabs at the gate. That's not to say there aren't any - just didn't see any. We used Rome Cabs - a company that has a permit to enter the port, so they picked us up right outside the baggage claim area. We made reservations with them before we left. They only accepted cash. There were 8 of us and the fee was 50 Euros per couple - or 200 for the ride to the airport, but they will drop you off at your hotel also. We used them to get from our hotel to the port.

They will make multiple drop offs for an extra fee (15 Euros I think) - so if you can find another couple or two who are going to stay in Rome then you can reduce your cost.

Well, I just learned a good lesson. I uploaded my pictures to Webshots and then downloaded them to my review. After doing that, I then deleted the pictures on Webshots. YOU CAN'T DO THAT!:o The pictures then disappear from the review. So I am reposting the missing pictures.

Here are the pictures SailorJill took of the antipasta plates at Sabatini's:

2620277920106582660S600x600Q85.jpg

2007918980106582660S600x600Q85.jpg

Well, I just learned a good lesson. I uploaded my pictures to Webshots and then downloaded them to my review. After doing that, I then deleted the pictures on Webshots. YOU CAN'T DO THAT!:o The pictures then disappear from the review.

YOU didn't know that? :confused: I'm shocked !! :rolleyes: Hope you haven't deleted pics from all your other reviews, otherwise, there's gonna be a lot of empty spaces on those reviews! :D

As for the antipasto - those are (I'm thinking) the plates that they take the antipasto off to serve you a smaller portion?? You can't possibly get that amount of food at each table - I know we didn't last year!

YOU didn't know that? :confused: I'm shocked !! :rolleyes: Hope you haven't deleted pics from all your other reviews, otherwise, there's gonna be a lot of empty spaces on those reviews! :D

As for the antipasto - those are (I'm thinking) the plates that they take the antipasto off to serve you a smaller portion?? You can't possibly get that amount of food at each table - I know we didn't last year!

I am really embarassed about this. :eek: I don't think I did it on any other reviews because I only used a picture or two. Here the folder got so big I had to start scrolling down, so I figured what the heck...I'll same some time and make it easy for myself.:confused:

And you are right about the platters...they downloaded from those plates.

More replacement pictures:

This is the Trevi Fountain. We if you throw a coin over your shoulder into the fountain it guarantees you will return to Rome one day...and helps the city fund its retirement plans.:)

2432123220106582660S600x600Q85.jpg

This is the inside of the Colosseum. They have partially reconstructed the floor to demonstrate how it worked. The rooms underneath the floor housed the gladiators and animals - which were brought up on hoists.

2300967610106582660S600x600Q85.jpg

I am really embarassed about this. :eek: I don't think I did it on any other reviews because I only used a picture or two. Here the folder got so big I had to start scrolling down, so I figured what the heck...I'll same some time and make it easy for myself.:confused:

And you are right about the platters...they downloaded from those plates.

I did the same thing ONCE !! Live and learn - we all do it!!

Thanks for taking the time to redo everything.

Last of the replacement pictures! I'll post new ones as I upload them.

This picture was actually taken inside the Circus Maximus - where Ben Hur raced his chariots.:) We stumbled across a rehearsal for a reenactment battle with a tribe of barbarians - you were rehearsing at the other end of the race course. This picture is the Roman Legion preparing for battle.

2543563850106582660S600x600Q85.jpg

This is Fort Qaitbay in Alexandria- built circa 1480 and still in remarkable condition. It is notable, however, as it was built on the foundation of the Lighthouse of Alexandria - one of the 7 Wonders of the Ancient World.

2080629060106582660S600x600Q85.jpg

Just went back and checked... it seems that if you keep the same name on the pic u upload to webshots, it'll come back onto the original post. If u change the name on the pic it will not show up on the original post - just an x.

Just went back and checked... it seems that if you keep the same name on the pic u upload to webshots, it'll come back onto the original post. If u change the name on the pic it will not show up on the original post - just an x.

Good information in case I have another mental relapse .. which has been known to happen from time to time. Thanks!

Good information in case I have another mental relapse .. which has been known to happen from time to time. Thanks!

As I think about it.. if you upload your pics with the same names, you really don't have to post them again... they shud just go back into the same placemat that they were in. One Canuck (originally) to another - trying to help.

It seems to always be undergoing renovation as can be seen in the picture below from 3 years ago.

You are right. The picture I took was from the back end because the front end looked almost exactly like your picture - complete with scaffolding. Maybe this is another cost/plus contract.:D

Here is my last picture of the Parthenon taken from below at the Temple of Zeus. No scaffolding from this vantage point.

2301918860106582660S600x600Q85.jpg

This picture shows some of the ruins of Pompeii and how close the city was to Vesuvius. That's it in the background.

2992966080106582660S600x600Q85.jpg

One of the streets of Pompeii. Notice the three stones in the middle of the street. They are placed there so people can step across the street when it is flooded and the stones are placed so that chariot/wagon wheels can pass.

2614544430106582660S600x600Q85.jpg

Some of the ruins were no more than small brick and stone enclosures, but some - like this one - must have been spectacular.

2589646090106582660S600x600Q85.jpg

You really must do a collection of all of your best reviews and self publish them on Lulu. I'll be first in line to buy a copy.

Thanks for the thought, but another Cruise Critic member has already done that.:) He collected all of the reviews and put them in an e-reader format and has offered them to anyone who wants to download the collection.

I am not sure if has included this review, but I know he has collected all the others.

Just finished your review and loved it. Brought back many good memories as it had ports from both my 2008 Med cruise and 2009 Holy Land cruise. I did toss a coin in Trevi in 08 and our cruise in 09 ended in Rome so I guess that coin toss is right! I just watched the camels from a "safe" distance, I am glad I didn't ride one.

About the Yangsee (?sp) River cruise, a good friend did that about 10 years ago and loved it, nothing but good to say about it. She did it through Grand Circle Travel as she has done many trips with them.

It sounds that you had a great time despite all the mishaps. But I do want to say something....That by far was the best and I mean it the BEST review I have ever read on this board. I was laughing so hard, i was almost crying. I will be sure to check the names of the camels before we attempt this ride.

Thanks,

Archived