Am I to understand........

moonandsun

When you have a 10pm sail (out of San Juan, lets say) you can still begin boarding around noon, but not leave the port till 10? Then the drill will be after you sail say 11 pmish? When you fly in, say you have an arrival time at 1pm you can go to the ship get checked in and then visit San Juan as a "port of call" :confused:

We have never taken a night sail so May will be our first.

Please advise. Thanks!!

yes, that's what we plan to do in Feb when we sail on the Victory. Plan is to board around noonish and after we eat and get our room we will leave the ship to explore San Juan a little. I learned we could do this by reading cruise critic. thanks to all for the wonderful info. have fun!

When you have a 10pm sail (out of San Juan, lets say) you can still begin boarding around noon, but not leave the port till 10? Then the drill will be after you sail say 11 pmish? When you fly in, say you have an arrival time at 1pm you can go to the ship get checked in and then visit San Juan as a "port of call" :confused:

Please advise. Thanks!!

Yes, that's correct. You can board the ship around noon, go out and explore San Juan, just make sure you're back on board well before sailing time. The muster drill is done BEFORE the ship sails, not an hour after.

Ship docks right in Old San Juan, so many attractions are within walking distance.

Per maritime law, the muster drill must occur within 24 hours of the ship sailing. Out of San Juan, I have done the drill before the ship sails, but a couple of times I've done it the following day if we will be at sea.

Please advise. Thanks!!

Yep, just like another port day. I am pretty sure that you have to be back on board by 8 pm. The dining room is open for supper, be sure to be by the fort near the bay entrance at sunset, around 6 to 630 it is so pretty! :D

We'll be on the Victory in December, and just were in San Juan during our August cruise. I'm so looking foward to seeing the fort we didn't get to see and doing some shopping. Our time in port was very short in August so we're glad to get to see some more of the city. Thanks for the information!

We'll be on the Victory in December, and just were in San Juan during our August cruise. I'm so looking foward to seeing the fort we didn't get to see and doing some shopping. Our time in port was very short in August so we're glad to get to see some more of the city. Thanks for the information!

There is the Fort at the end of the island. There is also another Fort within the old city and it is sorta a museum. It does cost but is not much. So, enjoy both if you have time. Note: The one within the city closes at 5PM so do it 1st if you want to do both. Have fun and enjoy your cruise. We love the old city of San Juan!:)

We sailed this past Feb on the Victory. It was Superbowl Sunday so they did not do the muster drill that night. They did it the next night as we sailed from St Thomas.

On that sailing they told us we had to be back onboard by 8:30. We sailed just a little after 10 pm.

First night is open seating in the MDR from 6 till 8:30.

We will do this cruise again, we loved OSJ and all the ports we visited.

There is the Fort at the end of the island. There is also another Fort within the old city and it is sorta a museum. It does cost but is not much. So, enjoy both if you have time. Note: The one within the city closes at 5PM so do it 1st if you want to do both. Have fun and enjoy your cruise. We love the old city of San Juan!:)

They both close at 5 pm, however, they will let you sneak in to use the ladies room if you have the need. :o

Please advise. Thanks!!

My 1st 2 cruises were out of San Juan with a 10pm sailing and the drill was done much, much earlier. It had to be b/c I wouldn't have remembered too much of it by 10pm. Also, I remember it was daylight.

The late departure is probably one of the best parts of leaving out of San Juan. There is so much to do, especially in the old part of the city! It's really like you have another port day before the cruise begins!

On my first cruise I did a Segway tour before sailaway (different line but still a later departure.) Then with our Carnival Victory cruise, we had plenty of time to wander and take pix around the nearly empty ship, eat lunch, tour a fort, hit Senor Frogs and still make it back in time for supper onboard!

Check out my review, linked in my signature, for all the details.

Please advise. Thanks!!

YUP!

We've sailed out of there twice. Checked in and boarded, and then went on shore to explore.

I don't remember when we mustered, but some sailings have been the next day. Not sure if this was one of them.

i can't remember the time of the muster drill (but like the other poster mentioned) it couldn't have been THAT late or i wouldn't have remembered! the first night onboard is always a cause for celebration if you know what i'm saying!

sad to say...but we always hide out in our cabin during the muster drill. if you've gone once, that's plenty in my opinion. no one's ever caught us yet!

i'm sure you'll love the victory out of san juan...guessing its still the same intinerary with all the ports of calls (st. thomas, dominica, barbados, st. lucia, antigua & st. kitts?) that was our BEST cruise yet!

sad to say...but we always hide out in our cabin during the muster drill. if you've gone once, that's plenty in my opinion. no one's ever caught us yet!

You should be made to walk to your muster station blindfolded, just to see how well you can make it in an adverse condition.

We just sailed out of San Juan 2 weeks ago. We boarded at 12:30pm...let me advise you though, it was VERY crazy at that time. They still had people leaving the ship at this time and it was so hectic because there were taxi's waiting to take people to the airport and then people like us arriving early, so taxi's were EVERYWHERE!

We did check-in, dropped our carry-on's off in the cabin and went back out for a few hours. It was very hot that day, so we did not tour the city. We went back to the ship, explored and got ready for dinner. Then went back out for drinks before having to be back on-board.

The muster drill was at 9pm that night....

Archived