Annual Travel Insurance

Eddie and Park

Do any of you get annual travel insurance? I know Travel Guard offers an annual policy. What do you see as the advantages of annual insurance? Thanks.
Yes. In addition to cruise insurance, we have Medjet Assist annual insurance. They will fly you from anywhere in the world to anywhere you need to be in a private jet with medical personnel as long as you are 150 miles away from home. We used them in February and they were very responsive and worth every penny.

For me, its a no brainer since I also do a lot of business travel. That said, check your annual policy closely, most of them do not cover items like cruise fare depending on cancellation reason.

I have the annual policy, then I buy additional coverage for vacations as appropriate (for example, we just came back from SoCal, and I paid an additional $53 to just cover our prepaid stay at Disneyland, since my annual doesn't cover that, but it would cover air travel, baggage loss and medical.

Our annual policy only covers medical - but it's good to have in case of an evacuation from the ship - that would really break the bank!

If you are evacuated from the ship by the Coast Guard, I do not believe that you have to pay for it. That said, our annual policy covers medical and evacuation.

DON

They are really two entirely different kinds of policies. (At least in the US) The biggest difference is that the single-trip comprehensive policies generally cover cancellation, interruption, and delay, while annual policies do not.

An annual policy can be great if you can absorb the cost of "losing" a vacation.

• 3 months later...

Does anyone know an annual plan for a US citizen that would include pre-existing conditions. All I can find excludes pre-existing conditions within the last 2 years and most of them have wording that says even if it hasn't been diagnosed or treated in the last 2 years if you have a recurrence during travel it will not cover in excess of $20K. Looking for the medical portion - not just medical evacuation.

Would like to buy annual insurance for travel -- both cruise and land. For cruise travel pretty easy to buy but for extended land trips -- not finding it. Cancellation, trip delay (closed airport etc mostly domestic but some international) lost/damaged luggage. Any product out there?

I have medjet Assit for medical.

We have MedjetAssit yearly family plan so the medical evacuation segement is covered, BCBS Fed covers international DR/hospital.

Is there a cruise insurance out there that does not include medical but does include cancellation, trip delay, lost luggage etc. ?

Wish we had the English travel insurance billed once a year. Maybe I don't understand it at all well but sounds pretty good. I have to buy travel insurance for a trip just about every other month.

Dear friends:

I wouldn't count on your insurance for overseas travel. I would still buy travel insurance with a good medical plan.

I just read the BCBS Federal Benefits on the website. For an overseas hospital admission, you either have to pay a $250 co-payment upon admission, or a $150 per day co-payment upon admission up to $750, depending on which of the two plans you have. You could use that $250 - $750 towards buying a good annual travel insurance policy.

Your doctor benefits are also subject to your plan deductibles, etc. Again, a good travel insurance policy would avoid this.

You might want to check out some of the following websites, which aren't very common for the U.S. market, but are quite popular for us Europeans and provide extensive coverage.

http://www.bupa-intl.com

http://www.ihi.com

http://www.dkv-globality.com

Also, the annual policies we can purchase in Europe from Chartis (your Travel Guard), also include cancellation apart from medical. I don't know if the annual policies in the U.S. provide this.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

Archived