Miami Hotel - Is there one walking distance to port AND beach ?

AnnArbor_707

I realize this topic has a LOT of threads, but for anyone with enough patience it would be helpful to get some opinions! :)

Our flight gets into Miami at 11pm so we probably won't even get to the hotel until midnight. Pair that in with our cruise (NCL Epic) leaving the next morning and I really just want a "cheap hotel" for the night. First choice would be to wake up and be able to at least check out the beach (on foot) for a few minutes so that we can leave our bags in the room (probably just a morning walk in the beach). Obviously I don't want a crappy room - but doesn't have to be super nice either. Does anyone know if there's a hotel close enough to not have to cab it to the port ? Under $100 is the target, but open to anything. And not have to cab it to the beach ? Looking at maps it seems as though there isn't but thought I'd check.

Here are a few I found at least on the beach - just looking for opinions

Days Inn Miami Beach - $55 This one seems decent.

http://travela.priceline.com/hotel/hotelOverviewGuide.do?key=gg825flu&propID=44080&jsk=1f03010a9803010a20101107150805EDA611520100&plf=PCLH

Mariott Biscayne Bay $80 - Seems pretty close to the port and it's in "Miami Beach" but is it walking distance to the beach ?

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/miabb-miami-marriott-biscayne-bay/

Wyndham Garden Hilton $89 - Seems close to everything ?

http://travela.priceline.com/hotel/hotelOverviewGuide.do?key=gg825flu&propID=1454605&jsk=1f03010a9803010a20101107150805EDA611520100&plf=PCLH

Where would you recommend and why ?

Of the 3 hotels you mention I have stayed at the Marriott Biscayne Bay. It's a nice place and $80 is a decent price. However it is not on the beach or near the beach. A cab will cost you about $10 the next day to get to the port of Miami. There is no way to get to the beach unless you take a cab.

To answer your question, I don't think there are any hotels within walking distance to both the beach and port. Your other option would be to get a hotel on the beach and then you will get your morning walk but have a longer cab ride to your ship. I have stayed at the Sagamore right on the beach. Sometimes they have specials on their website.

It's not really recommended that you walk to the port itself. The Port of Miami is on an island served by a very busy causeway. The island serves not only cruise vessels but cargo ships, so a lot of the traffic is truck.

You won't find any hotels close to both a beach and the port, since the port is in the city of Miami, and the beaches are in Miami Beach. There's a large bay (Biscayne Bay) that seperates the two. The Biscayne Bay Marriott is not in Miami Beach. There are a couple of Courtyards by Marriott and possibly other Marriotts in Miami Beach, but the specific Biscayne Bay Marriott is not. However, $80 for the weekend after Thanksgiving is a pretty good price for that hotel.

Thanks for the comments guys! Very helpful. Now it seems as though I should target a hotel on Miami Beach walking distance and just cab it to the port. I called the Days Inn one I listed above for $55 and the guy at the desk said the beach is literally across the street. The only downside is that "south beach" which I guess is the restaurants and "cool beach" ? are a 3-4 mile drive.

If there are any comments or opinions of where you would stay let them fly! Otherwise I may just be a cheaparse and go with this days inn for $55 and use cabs.....

I'm wondering if I read someone else needing November 28th and thought it was you, since going back and re-reading your post I don't see that information anywhere. What date are you looking for?

In the long thread asking for Miami recommendations, many people are finding deals on Last Minute Travel. There are directions, posted by both myself and MapleGirl, on how to determine what hotel you'd be getting so it wouldn't be a surprise. You might find a better hotel for the prices you've listed above, or a better price for the same hotel(s).

I don't have any specific recommendations of the three since I've not stayed in any of them. We almost stayed at the Marriott since my travelling companion was, at the time we booked, a Marriott employee. She switched jobs, so that became a moot issue. But in the research I did for the Marriott Biscayne Bay, there's a park not far north of the hotel that is overlooking the bay. That'd be a pleasant morning walk.

Of the other two choices you've mentioned, I would do as much research as I could, but would lean towards the Wyndham Garden mostly because of my experience with that chain being better than with any Days Inns I've ever encountered.

If u want the beach experience then suggest you find a hotel right on Miami beach; then take a taxi later that day to the port; the port of Miami should be no more than ten minutes from Miami beach. The drive from Miami airport to Miami beach; at midnight should be no more than 10-15 minutes.

Thanks for the comments guys! Very helpful. Now it seems as though I should target a hotel on Miami Beach walking distance and just cab it to the port. I called the Days Inn one I listed above for $55 and the guy at the desk said the beach is literally across the street. The only downside is that "south beach" which I guess is the restaurants and "cool beach" ? are a 3-4 mile drive.

If there are any comments or opinions of where you would stay let them fly! Otherwise I may just be a cheaparse and go with this days inn for $55 and use cabs.....

Look on http://www.lastminutetravel.com and http://www.easyclicktravel.com

Sometimes they have good prices.

Is the walk on the beach really a must when you will be cruising beach ports? In order to do that, you will end up paying more than perhaps you want as you will be in Miami Beach. Of course MUCH depends on when you are cruising.

Coming in that late, my thought would be to spend the night at an airport hotel, look at the BLue Lagoon area. Or look at La Quinta east with the shuttle to the port and breakfast. Head to the ship at 11:00. Or... look at the Intercontinental or other downtown hotel, an easy walk to Bayside for breakfast and a nice view of the ships in the port with a $10.00 cab ride in the morning to board.

Of course, staying in M Beach and checking out the S Beach area is nice and FUN if you are planning on spending half a day or so.

Archived