Back from Tranquility Budapest to Prague

stretchcruz

Thanks for the recommendation, BPcruiser. We do have reservations for dinner both nights since we are there on Dec. 25 and 26 but will walk by and see if the place you recommend is open.:)

It is a bit closer to the Hilton that Avalon uses for their pre and post cruise stay which we stayed at that Hilton as part of our Avalon package but then moved a bit closer to the Old Town Square for our remaining nights at the Hilton Old Town Square. Pivovarsky Klub would be easy to walk to from either Hilton. You would be pleasantly amazed how well you can eat at a reasonable price with good beer for lunch. Beer was cheaper then a diet coke!

It is a bit closer to the Hilton that Avalon uses for their pre and post cruise stay which we stayed at that Hilton as part of our Avalon package but then moved a bit closer to the Old Town Square for our remaining nights at the Hilton Old Town Square. Pivovarsky Klub would be easy to walk to from either Hilton. You would be pleasantly amazed how well you can eat at a reasonable price with good beer for lunch. Beer was cheaper then a diet coke!

My husband enjoys a good beer so this will make him happy. I am not a fan but have been researching Czech wines to sample.:)

Thanks for the recommendation, BPcruiser. We do have reservations for dinner both nights since we are there on Dec. 25 and 26 but will walk by and see if the place you recommend is open.:)

Kolkovna Celnice was the other very good restaurant we ate at in Prague! In fact we ate Dinner there on Thanksgiving night and it was awesome! This was also recommended to us by the concierge at the Hilton as well as a CC member in one of his reviews of his AMA Danube cruise (SteveandKathystravels). Reservations are recommended for both of these places for Dinner. There is a non-smoking section downstairs and Kolkovna Celnice is only about 1 block away from the Marriott and Hilton Old Town and next door to a very nice grocery if you need any items for your Hotel Room etc. We were able to get bottle water etc. there very inexpensive. We would go back here again in a heartbeat as well.

Water levels are rising, you should have a great Christmas Markets Cruise :)

Here is the website for the restaurant we liked (it is in Czech but will give you an idea)

http://www.uceskeholva.cz/

From the front of the Hilton you walk across the street and there is a small mall there. There is a grocery store in the mall where we bought meat, cheese, bread, and wine...we generally ate very light in the evening in the room. If you walk straight through the mall, go out the opposite door, and you will be on a street. Turn right, and Uceskehlva is on your right. It is next to the Jurys Hotel. There is a green awning outside. You got in the door and go down to the basement. The dining room and bar are down there. There is a nonsmoking section in the back, and they have English menus. It was so good and so filling! The wienerschnitzel and mashed potatoes were wonderful. Their salads were also really good, good selection of beers and wines. Very inexpensive.

If you want a private guide, Jana was incredible. The Avalon tour was fine, but walking around Prague with her was like being with a friend. It might be a bit cold this time of year, however!!!!

Have fun, and enjoy!!

Jana is not available but recommended a friend. I am going to do some research on her later toady.

We look forward to the cold and hope to have snow. We had 22 inches while in Germany and Austria last year and it was gorgeous! We live in FL so the cold is a welcome change.

It is unlikely we will do the included Avalon tour as we have not been thrilled with them in the past. They move slow and we prefer a faster pace. It is well worth it for us to have a private guide, and then explore on our own.

Thanks everyone for the recommendations.

• 4 weeks later...

Great review.I haven't been on the boards since we returned from our Med cruise in October.

Just catching up on some reading now. We did the same cruise you did only we were on the Tapestry.we did it in August 2010. Reading your review took me right back. I must say a totally agree with everything you said.

We also had the electric violin player..Georgio Benedetti. He was great...I bought his CD and it brings back memories of the wonderful time we had.

We are booked on the Avalon Scenery in May for the Burgundy to Cote D'azure (sp). We were so pleased with Avalon that we decided to stick with them for our second river cruise. I am so with you when you say you are a river cruise convert...but the price does tend to slow one down.

Again,thanks for taking so much time to write such a detailed review.

Archived