Upsell offered only once?

DryCreek

About a week or so ago, I received an upsell e-mail from the "fairy". It was an offer to move from the Main deck on the Ecstasy to an upper deck, and the total cost was to be $40. It didn't specify that it would be a different class room (booked an inside room, M-34) so I passed on that offer.

I have been keeping an eye on Ecstasy sailings for November. We depart on 11/27 for the 5 day Western Caribbean itinerary. I have watched the other cruise dates apparently "fill up" as time has passed. By filling up, I mean that I have noticed one or more type of cabin become unavailable (dashed line where price should appear). For instance, on the 11/18 departure no Balconies or Suites are available. On 11/22 no OV rooms are available. When you look at our departure date, all room classes are available, and the rates are typically lower across the board. Is this indicative of them having trouble selling cabins? If so, shouldn't I be expecting some more "upsell fairy" e-mail action? I would gladly shell out $30 to $50 (total, not PP) more for an OV - even on Riveria or Main decks!

Am I reading too much into the cabin cost/availability shown on website?

http://www.carnival.com/BookingEngine/SailingSearch/?dat=112010&embkCode=GAL&dur=D1&dest=CW

About a week or so ago, I received an upsell e-mail from the "fairy". It was an offer to move from the Main deck on the Ecstasy to an upper deck, and the total cost was to be $40. It didn't specify that it would be a different class room (booked an inside room, M-34) so I passed on that offer.

I have been keeping an eye on Ecstasy sailings for November. We depart on 11/27 for the 5 day Western Caribbean itinerary. I have watched the other cruise dates apparently "fill up" as time has passed. By filling up, I mean that I have noticed one or more type of cabin become unavailable (dashed line where price should appear). For instance, on the 11/18 departure no Balconies or Suites are available. On 11/22 no OV rooms are available. When you look at our departure date, all room classes are available, and the rates are typically lower across the board. Is this indicative of them having trouble selling cabins? If so, shouldn't I be expecting some more "upsell fairy" e-mail action? I would gladly shell out $30 to $50 (total, not PP) more for an OV - even on Riveria or Main decks!

http://www.carnival.com/BookingEngine/SailingSearch/?dat=112010&embkCode=GAL&dur=D1&dest=CW

This close to sailing, I may be wrong, but I believe they release cabins for sale in small quantities to keep the prices higher.

If you see something you'll like at the same price, or for less, or for $ more that you're willing to pay, just call them (or your TA if you used one), and ask for it. You have a good chance of getting it.

Just today, I told a friend to call her TA and ask to be moved from inside to a balcony for $60 more and they approved it. Now she owes me a dinner ;). Also I changed our inside cabin from deck 6 to deck 7 and they said yes also.

It doesn't hurt to try. The worst that could happen is that they say no.

Enjoy your cruise!

If you see something you'll like at the same price, or for less, or for $ more that you're willing to pay, just call them (or your TA if you used one), and ask for it. You have a good chance of getting it.

Just today, I told a friend to call her TA and ask to be moved from inside to a balcony for $60 more and they approved it. Now she owes me a dinner ;). Also I changed our inside cabin from deck 6 to deck 7 and they said yes also.

It doesn't hurt to try. The worst that could happen is that they say no.

Enjoy your cruise!

Being this was our first cruise, I approached it like I do finding flights to our usual vacation destinations - I booked directly through Carnival, online.

To be honest, I booked at exactly the right time. I got nearly the lowest rates thought imaginable - $279 pp. Since I booked ES, I was surprised to find the rates dropped to $269 pp during the three-day sale. I submitted by request and we now have $20 OBC. Looking at the current prices for OV, it is $389 PP - that is $120 more (pp) than we paid for inside. I am not willing to upgrade at the published price. I was wondering if I could call and make an offer - or do they frown on that? I am also considering standing pat for another week and see if something good will be offered closer to departure date. As long as they show availability for OV or balcony, I guess I can hold out hopes on getting an upsell call or e-mail.

Note - I am not asking for an upgrade (free cabin class change), although one would not be turned down! I just figured that since I got the most lowball price available, they would rather upgrade someone who has paid a higher base rate. I think $30-$50 (total) for an upgrade to OV on Riviera or Main deck would be fair to all - or am I just being too stingy?

Not much of an upsell if you ask me. I think you made the right decision, I mean upsell me to a Balcony or something.

Fred

Archived