Block Booking Allocations on Foreign Flights

Joecors

This is not a personal customer relation problem and it does affect fly/cruise guests from the U.K.

Azamara/RCCL, to reduce costs, use a system of block booking allocations for flights on British Airways, and maybe other airlines. As a result guests are unable to print off boarding passes prior to arriving at the airport on the flight day.

This may be considered a small matter but on flight out of LHR for the last fly/cruise we took (The Quest on 20th Sept) the intention seemed to make sure that families did not sit together on the flight; it was almost akin to throwing the boarding passes up in the air in terminal 5 and telling passengers to help themselves.

Cost has been quoted as the reason for “block allocation”, but on a personal note we have cruised with Az. since 2008. I am virtually a non-drinker and the introduction of free wine at lunch and dinner was given as one of the reasons for increasing prices on Azamara. I was, and am still, prepared to live with that because of the service, courtesy, friendliness provided by the crews of the Quest and the Journey. I realise that your prices are commensurate with the luxury Az. provide.

The extra costs involved in avoiding block bookings when shared between all bookings would be negligible. Why not try it?

One further thing! I referred to the service provided by the crews. What chance of sending the U.K. Customer Relations staff on a short cruise to see how it is really done?

Bill

Can we widen this and look at the general product offering in the UK - particularly

1. (related to this thread) why can we not have access to a product equivalent to Choice Air

2. (related to No 1) if this is not possible, why can we not have alternative package offers - it is galling to see offers of $2000 air credit on cruises we have to fork out full fare for even higher flight costs

3. Back to back cruises - discounts - why are they not being offered in the UK?

Thanks for your attention

Ann

Bill

2. (related to No 1) if this is not possible, why can we not have alternative package offers - it is galling to see offers of $2000 air credit on cruises we

Ann

This thread should probably have been labeled as a "UK" issues thread, but since the Choice Air promotions are being referenced - it is just as frustrating to be in the US and see these Choice Air promotions (months before the final payment date) and be unable to use them because as a loyal customer one booked their cruise while onboard and already purchased (non-refundable) air which many do 11 months out when the air is available. It would have done a lot from a customer service prospective if Azamara offered an alternative for not using the Choice Air web site. The price is actually just being taken off the cruise fare anyway. It depends on the stateroom cost but in some cases it is over a 40% difference in cruise fare, which is huge. To make matters worse, we are currently booked directly with the cruise line and Azamara has never told us about Choice Air or tried to sell us on using it.

Bill

1. (related to this thread) why can we not have access to a product equivalent to Choice Air

Ann

Are you sure you don't? Try going to the US Celebrity web site and plugging in your Azamara booking number. When I asked about it this is what I was told to do as the link was not on the Azamara web site in the US. Also, if not available, why does the web site state if you are using a currency other than US and book Choice Air you can not transfer your booking to a travel agency once done. This tells us Choice Air can be used outside of the US.

According to the site

Starting July 1, 2010, ChoiceAir will be expanded to include 2 new features: ChoiceAir FlexFares and ChoiceAir Plus. This suite of products will replace existing packaged air programs for round trip cruises in the continental U.S. on July 1, 2010 and for all sailings by November 1, 2010

However, I followed yor advice and here is the response I got

ChoiceAir is not available for direct guests, please contact your travel agent for air arrangements

eh? my booking is a direct one (I actually have made my own arrangements already but it would have been interesting to have seen what was happening)

According to the site

Starting July 1, 2010, ChoiceAir will be expanded to include 2 new features: ChoiceAir FlexFares and ChoiceAir Plus. This suite of products will replace existing packaged air programs for round trip cruises in the continental U.S. on July 1, 2010 and for all sailings by November 1, 2010

However, I followed yor advice and here is the response I got

ChoiceAir is not available for direct guests, please contact your travel agent for air arrangements

eh? my booking is a direct one (I actually have made my own arrangements already but it would have been interesting to have seen what was happening)

So, you went through this "Cruising Power (dot) com" web site and it recognized you were in the UK? You have to plug in your Azamara booking number.

http://www.cruisingpower.com/choiceair/

That is interesting that it won't let you book flights.

"What is ChoiceAir?

ChoiceAir is our Air/Sea program's internet booking website that assists the guests when buying their air transportation to and from their cruise vacation.

Program

The ChoiceAir Program is a departure from traditional air/sea programs because it allows guests to purchase their airline tickets at the best available prices, when they are booking their cruise. Unlike the legacy air/sea model, customers select their own flights from all published airline schedules and fare types. Guests may book directly on the website, over the phone with us, or through their travel partner. No matter who makes the ChoiceAir reservation, the guest is assured the best value for their cruise by tying their airline reservations to their cruise. This allows RCCL to monitor our Guests’ travel to the ship, and step in to help should they run into trouble in transit. We will ensure the Guest makes it to the ship or if necessary work with our airline partners to get them to the next port-of-call, whenever possible.

Website

The ChoiceAir website allows guests, travel partners, and RCCL contact center employees to book all published airline schedules and fares on the Internet. It has a familiar look and feel, similar to leading consumer websites; however, it is customized to meet the needs of our guests. Unlike consumer sites, ChoiceAir filters air displays to fit the cruise time parameters, allows a guest to use different credit cards to pay for each guest in a reservation, links the air reservation with their cruise reservation, and provides optional airport to seaport transfers.

What is ChoiceAir Plus?

ChoiceAir Plus is a service providing professional assistance for guests that prefer a high-touch, concierge level of service when making their travel arrangements. The agent will present all of the appropriate flight options and prices, for even the most complex itinerary, and will complete the reservations over the phone – assuring that all of the details have been addressed. It will replace our Custom Air program on July 1, 2010.

ChoiceAir Frequently Asked Questions

Countries

Fares

ChoiceAir Service Fee

Flight Interuption and Downline Support

Seat Assignments

Ground Transfers

Functionality

Countries

Is ChoiceAir available outside of the United States?

ChoiceAir will be offered in many of our International Markets.

Fares

What types of airline rates are available on ChoiceAir?

In addition to all of the published rates available through travel agencies and airlines, we will from time to time offer ChoiceAir Specials. Customers will have their choice of virtually any economy, business class, or first class fares.

If cruise is cancelled how will non-refundable air be treated?

All tickets are subject to the airline's rules. Generally on a nonrefundable ticket, the guest may re-use the ticket, subject to any fees imposed by the airline.

What happens if I purchase a Choice Air non-refundable airline ticket and now need to change or cancel it?

You will be subject to any penalties or restrictions imposed by the airline. Guests may call the ChoiceAir Support desk and change or cancel the reservation.

What happens if I purchased a Choice Air Refundable ticket and now want to change or cancel?

You can call the ChoiceAir Support desk and change or cancel the reservation. The ticket will be subject to any penalties or restrictions imposed by the airline.

What happens if I purchase a ChoiceAir fare and want to change it to a FlexFare?

You may cancel/change your ChoiceAir tickets based on the airline rules which may involve penalties or no refund and then rebook a FlexFare. If in doubt, check with the ChoiceAir Support Desk who will provide you with any change or cancellation fees associated to your current ticket.

What if I can find lower fares elsewhere?

It is possible that certain websites or airlines may offer promotional rates. It is also typical for airline inventories to fluctuate on a moment-by-moment basis making it difficult to comparison shop. While in the vast majority of cases those fares will be the lowest, it is not guaranteed in every instance.

How far in advance may I book my ChoiceAir flights?

Based on the airlines loading of their fares and availability, you may select and book your flights 11 months out. This allows you to book from 330 days to 4 days to flight date.

What is ChoiceAirFlex?

FlexFare is our most flexible fare type, which usually prices at higher fares and payment is due during final cruise payment.

ChoiceAir Service Fee

Is there a fee for using ChoiceAir?

Yes. There is a $15.00 per person non-refundable service fee for domestic North American destinations and $25.00 per person non-refundable for International destinations.

What happens if a guest with ChoiceAir cancels their cruise?

Guests that cancel their cruise after purchasing ChoiceAir will have their air reservation canceled as well. Their refundable or non-refundable airline ticket will be subject to the rules, conditions and penalties of the airline, based on the specific fare rules.

What are the fees for ChoiceAir Plus?

The ChoiceAir Plus fee is $50.00 for domestic North American destinations and $60.00 for International destinations. This fee includes the $15.00 or $25.00 ChoiceAir fee and $35.00 for the personalized services provided by our professional air agents. The ChoiceAir Plus fee is per person and is non refundable.

Can the ChoiceAir Plus fees be waived?

The personalized service fee of $35.00 is waived for Celebrity Cruises Captain's Club Members, Azamara Club Cruises Le Club Voyage Members and Royal Caribbean International's Crown and Anchor Society Members that are Platinum level and above. The ChoiceAir service fee of $15.00 or $25.00 per person applies to all ChoiceAir reservations. Additionally, we will also waive fees if the website is down or not accessible for technical reasons.

Flight Interruption and Downline Support

What protection is provided when I purchase a ChoiceAir ticket?

Guests purchasing airline tickets through ChoiceAir will receive assistance on travel days, should there be a disruption to their scheduled airline service. While we monitor flights, guests should first check with the airline to request re-accommodation, and then call us if the new flights will not enable the guest to meet the ship. We will work with the guest to find a seat on the next available flight, on a regularly scheduled airline, and in the same class of service to the ship. If there are no viable options, we will work with our airline partners to accommodate the guest on a flight to the next available port, where a guest may legally join the ship.

Are we protected when we book through another air booking source?

RCCL does not provide support for airline reservations made through other sources, regardless of the issue.

If we purchase ChoiceAir and miss the flight, will you refund our Air or Re-accommodate us?

We will not refund airline tickets due to a missed flight. While we will work with our guests and airline partners, any additional costs will be the responsibility of the guest. Tickets are subject to the airlines rules and penalties.

If I cancel the cruise for any reason and do not have Cruise Care, will you refund or exchange the ticket?

We will provide assistance within the guidelines of the rules of the ticket. Guests purchasing through ChoiceAir are subject to the carriers' rules and restrictions.

If I have Cruise Care and cancel my cruise for any reason, is my air covered?

Cruise-Care travel insurance does have provisions for covering trip cancellations and interruptions under specific conditions. Please consult the Cruise Care brochure.

How will I be advised of Airline schedule changes?

Schedule changes will be handled with an email or telephone call to the Travel Partner or Guest.

Can I book my air reservations at another time other than when booking the cruise?

Yes. Guests may book ChoiceAir up to 7 days prior to sailing.

Does the ChoiceAir service fee also apply for Loyalty and Crown & Anchor members?

Yes, the service fee is the same for all guests.

Airline Seat Assignments

Do I need a separate seat for my Infant?

Infant fares (under 2yrs old) cannot be booked online. You must contact the Choice Air Support desk or the airline directly to add your infant to the booking. Rules vary depending if your infant is traveling as a lap child or requires a seat.

Can I make seat assignments for my flights?

Yes. Seats are subject to the airline's inventory and are not guaranteed, other than any assurance provided by the airline. We recommend you reconfirm your seat assignments by contacting the airline directly within 72hrs of your flight departure.

Can I check- in for my flights ahead of time?

To verify airport check-in please log onto http://www.checkmytrip.com. For security purposes, the website will require your airline confirmation number (record locator), to display your itinerary. This record locator is displayed in the upper right hand corner of your air confirmation.

Airline Ancillary Fees: Some airlines may impose extra fees for certain services and amenities such as but not limited to baggage, priority boarding, advanced seat assignments and receiving pillows & blankets. Please Inquire directly with your Airline or visit their website for a list of any applicable ancillary fees.

Ground Transfers

Are Transfers included when we buy Choice Air?

Transfers are offered as an option to ChoiceAir guest when applicable for their travel dates.

How do we add transfers?

If you are arriving on embark/debark days, the transfers will automatically populate on the Guest Preference Page. This can be adjusted based on the guest's individual needs.

What if roundtrip transfers are not being displayed on the Guest Preferences page?

Review your flight dates and times to ensure they match embark and debark days. Transfers are only offered for flights that arrive/depart on embarkation and debarkation days.

Functionality

Where would I find more details on the Ship and sail date?

Select the PLUS (+) next to the ship name and the box expands with return date, length, departure, and arrival port.

How do I add guests from more than one cabin to Choice Air?

Select +Add More Guests and the box will expand with an area to enter the next booking number.

I selected the guests I wanted and clicked on Search & Reserve Flight for Selected Guest(s) but nothing happens?

Check that your age range is determined and try again.

Will I need to check the cruise reservation for the travel dates and/or port city before submitting a booking through Choice Air?

The corresponding airport and travel dates including any hotel or tour packages added to the cruise will automatically populate. This information can be adjusted based on the guest's individual needs.

I selected non-stop flights from Search Flights page and received an error message "No Itinerary found". Try again.

If same result, market may not offer non-stop flights or they may not be available.

What if I would like First class flights only?

Economy class is the default. This can be changed from the Search Flights page. In the Cabin Class section, change Economy to First or Business class.

A message ERR0046 - E- No Flights Found For Requested Itinerary, Expand your search and try again?

Flight options requested do not meet the Ship's arrival / departure time parameters.

What are Cruise Credits?

A Cruise Credit is a discount that is applied on the cruise (for specific sailings) when air is purchased through ChoiceAir. This is similar to our traditional air promotions.

What is Secure Flight Information and why is it required?

For security reasons and air travel safety, the Department of Homeland Security now requires all air travelers to provide their Full name as it appears on their passport, Date of Birth and Gender no later than 72 hours to flight date. Failure to do so may result in delayed or denied boarding of the aircraft. Additional information is available on the Department of Homeland Security's website at: http://www.dhs.gov/trip

Can I request Special Service for airport assistance?

Yes. Wheelchair and assistance for the Deaf and Blind are available for request in ChoiceAir. However, it is recommended that the Guest reconfirm directly with the airline on its availability & confirmation."

Try itasoftware.com which is where I go to check air flights/costs. You can't book through them but it will tell you the class ticket and where you can purchase. The software is free to use and but together by a group at MIT. You need to know the airport codes.

You have to go to the "matrix" for the link to use the software to look up airfares.

http://matrix.itasoftware.com/

Yes Jade that is exactly the site I went to put in my reservation no etc. It clearly recognised I had a reservation but as I say it then said I had to contact my agent

My interpretation of the info you posted it says Choice Air will be offered - not is offered- so its a wait and see

I will not book in the UK without some control over my flight - lack of access to online check in 24 hours before the flight is a deal beaker for us and the OP has highlighted a major flaw in the product offering

Yes Jade that is exactly the site I went to put in my reservation no etc. It clearly recognised I had a reservation but as I say it then said I had to contact my agent

My interpretation of the info you posted it says Choice Air will be offered - not is offered- so its a wait and see

I will not book in the UK without some control over my flight - lack of access to online check in 24 hours before the flight is a deal beaker for us and the OP has highlighted a major flaw in the product offering

I understood that AZ wanted to promote their cruises in Europe (they are not being helpful with us here) but this flight issue is a negative for us also!

Archived