How can I avoid gaining weight on my next cruise?

WendyJo

Mea culpa: I'm one of those annoying SOB's who's always been able to eat whatever he felt like and never put on unwanted weight. ("Don't hate me because I'm beautiful!") At thirty or so, my father told me, "Don't worry, son-- soon enough, you'll know why they call it MIDDLE age!" But that was well over 20 years ago now, and my luck has held in that regard.

But I don't think that my "lucky" metabolism can account for the fact that I don't gain weight EVEN ON CRUISES-- which are pretty much a non-stop moveable feast. Onboard, I've always adhered to three simple rules, the last of which is by way of the distinguished maritime writer and liner expert John Maxtone-Graham, which advice was given to him, in a tongue-in-cheek fashion, by a steward on a long-ago trans-Atlantic crossing:

1) Never the elevator, always the stairs

2) For any given meal, choose dining room or topside buffet-- not dining room THEN topside buffet. (I'm not naming any names, but all you "double-dippers" out there, you know who you are!):rolleyes:

And last but not least, 3): Never try to eat anything you can't lift.:D

(You'd be surprised how often I see people breaking that last one-- no wonder all the cruise lines have gotten rid of trays in the buffet!:eek:)

That's unbelievable ! You mean you walk up and down between,say,14-16 decks, thats over 20 flights of stairs. How do you keep that up ?

Okay, I will admit that is was a small ship, Oceania. :D But still, we walked (even after all the wine, LOL!)

The only weight I have gained on any cruise is gone within a couple of days after returning home without any effort, so I'm just going to assume it's water retention.

We have found that too much rich food upsets our digestive systems, so we steer clear of the really rich stuff. I stick close to what we eat at home for breakfast and lunch, enjoying dinner with dessert.

We also take the stairs whenever possible and depending on what shoes I am wearing that evening. I like to walk laps in the morning, my husband gets on the treadmill. Neither of us is thin by any stretch of the imagination, but we still don't gain weight.

I kind of think the people who are gaining all this weight are perhaps gorging all week? I hardly think it's possible to gain more than 2 lbs. of real weight in a week, even overeating and not moving. To gain a pound of weight is an extra 3200 calories exceeding what you burn in a day. That's a whole lot of extra food, since most of us are already eating 1200-2000 calories a day to begin with.

Only 2 lbs? Aw, c'mon, Happy, don't sell yourself short! You never know what you can do until you really try!:D

In a talk show appearance some years back, Tom Arnold insisted that he had once gained eleven pounds in about 48 hrs over a Thanksgiving holiday-- and somehow, I believe him!:eek:

I recall some cruise writer-- it may well have been Maxtone-Graham, but I'm not certain-- saying that the dining room and kitchen staff didn't feel as if they'd done their jobs if their passengers weren't putting on a pound a DAY.

Not for me, thanks-- see you on the stairs, and on those long-walk shore excursions!:D

There are so many stairs on the ships, it's really hard to gain weight. You will get quite a workout just going from cabin, to pool, to shows, to meals. Plus they have walking/jogging tracks and lots of physical activities.

One other tip is .........

'' You are not a carbage can! If you can't finish it, well leave it ! ''

I know it's good and it is yummy but start listening your stomac. It take 20 minutes to your stomac to send message of fullfiling to your brain so everything you eat during this time is extra you don't need. Eat slowly, and enjoy your cruise.

On every previous cruise I have come home with a weight gain even though I tried to order mostly spa menu selections and limited how much dessert I ate. What are your tips for not gaining weight on a cruise?

It might just be an adjustment of what you focus on... focus instead on the relaxation, enjoyment, and adventure of your cruise... do practical things like taking the stairs instead of the elevator, and some good common sense about the quantity of food consumed.

Whatever you do, don't fret about it while on the cruise... when looking back afterwards, make your memories about the time, experiences, etc... Put your mind to work on it and enjoy yourself.

I've been doing the biggest loser diet and have gone from 195 to 160, in 8 months and holding for several months/ eat 5 times a day, but, BUT each meal(and they are smaller than what I used to eat) must have a protein, had to get rid of the butters and breads, but I do get in a dessert or two. Stairs, drink water, and don't do the buffet.:D

i agree. We went on a 50 day cruise last year and I lost 4 pounds. Eat small meals 4-5 times a day include protein, 1/2 cup of carbs and lots of veggies!

Walk everywhere and drink lots of water and green tea.

I had lost 45 pounds in 8 months beforehand and swear by this formula.

Mary Lou

I try to eat lots of fruits and steamed veggies. I request extra, because the kitchen doesn't usually serve enough with entrees. I order salads with the lowfat dressing on the side. I avoid bread except at breakfast. I skip dessert or order fruit for dessert most meals. And I walk a lot, always taking the stairs and never the elevators.

I don't have a very big appetite, but I enjoy eating in the dining room. i hate seeing food go to waste, so on our recent cruise, I decided to ask for child portions. I don't know why I never thought of it before. I didn't feel obligated to eat more than I wanted.

I'm also a big fan of using the stairs on a cruise. I just meet my DH at our destination. Works for me! ;)

Just keep moving.

If you are not an active sort, well, either accept that you will gain weight and deal with it later, lose weight before the cruise to come home 'even', moderate your intake, increase activity to a level you are comfortable with, or just relax and have a good time and let the chips fall where they may, so to speak.

I enjoy Pilates and home and usually do 15 minutes a day on a cruise. Not a huge time investment, but keeps the metabolism charged enuf. Walking the deck is good for fresh air, great views and calorie burning. You could use the treadmill instead, especially if you are a reader. Time flies when you are walking and reading a really great book.

I am typically on foot in port and moving fast to maximize my time there.

However you handle it, have a great time!

• 2 weeks later...

1) Think of the cruise as a week (or 2) at the Biggest Loser Ranch, rather than at a dessert buffet feast! Tell yourself you will work out in the weight room for 1 hour, every day. (Just like at home.) Tell yourself that you will do another hour on the stationery bike (that includes sweating)/or you'll walk at least 3 miles on shore. (Take a pedometer with you.)

2) I don't drink alcohol because of alcoholism in our family, so I don't add calories in that area. (Although, sometimes a drink could really help a situation!)

3) Take chewing gum with you--they don't seem to sell it onboard. I take 1 pack per day.

4) Sometimes I take those 100 calorie Weight Watchers cookies, or any other 100 calorie snack that I can have instead of a dessert of unknown calories.

5) Ask for your dinner without gravy, salad dressing on the side, etc.

6) I have even bought my own low-calorie salad dressing in a very small, discreet bottle to the dinner table.

7) I really have to stay away from the breads.

8) We also found we eat tons more at the buffet than we do at the "served" dinner and we eat the least amount of food when we have room service for breakfast.

9) So the bottom line is this: Am I going on a cruise to eat? or am I going on a cruise to enjoy visiting a foreign port while enjoying being treated like a queen?

On every previous cruise I have come home with a weight gain even though I tried to order mostly spa menu selections and limited how much dessert I ate. What are your tips for not gaining weight on a cruise?

Not possible, if you're anything like me!!

I never use the elevators

I do an hour in the gym every day

I often use the spa options.

I still gain approximately 1 lb a day.:(

But what the heck.....I work harder to lose it when I get home. I find if I gain it fast, I can usually lose it reasonably fast too.!!:)

Except for some fluid retention, evidenced by foot and ankle swelling, I don't have a problem with weight gain, even in 14 day cruises. We book cabins near the aft of ships, and as a result have to do quite a bit of walking to get wherever we want to go onboard. We eat in the dining room, so portions are controlled, as opposed to going to the buffet and taking some of everything that looks good.

I swear it's not only the salt in the food .... it's the salt in the sea air. LOL Breathing that in must add to the sodium level of my blood. Of course, there's no scientific proof of my theory ... just my looking for a way to explain what happens.

I end up with "cankles" my feet and ankles, calves swell so bad. My ankles swell above my socks and turn red, dented. It has got to be the salt as we walk 2 miles a day on the ship. Plus are very active in ports.

Diet and excercise are always the key to weight loss/gain. Diet on ship=eat a lot of yummy food and drink as many of the umbrella drinks my heart desires. Excercise on ship= using the stairs and walking around to explore every nook and cranny the ship has. Excercise at ports=lots of fun walking taking in the sites and definately if in the Caribbean, lots of snorkling/swimming(which is one of the best activities there is to burn calories). Each cruise I have taken I actually came home weighing the same or a couple of pounds less. I think it is because I am way more active on vacation than I am at home.

Sorry but I'd have to have my jaws wired shut not to gain weight on a cruise.:eek: It's not just the food in the dining rooms. It's the cookies, the ice cream and all the frozen drinks. I just can't seem to stop myself from indulging during a cruise. Even though I do lots of walking I still gain and I just have to diet when I get home to lose the extra weight. 50 Days...I'm so envious!!! Enjoy.

Archived