Ship Times vs. Grand Cayman time

j4farm

I have made a reservation with Nativeway Watersports for the Rays, Reefs and Rum Point tour on Friday Jan. 21, 2011. We'll be on the Liberty of the Seas. Our itinerary says we'll be there from 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. The tour confirmation said the tour would leave at 11:30 Eastern time and return to the ship pier at 4:45 Eastern time. Is that going to work for us? I just don't understand if the ship will be on Eastern time or what? Can any one tell me for sure if this tour will be back to the ship on time? I sure don't want to be left behind:eek:. Thanks all

Yup...pretty sure it should be the same time zone, then.

Your daily cruise activities newsletter should let you know if any of the ports you're visiting are on different times than the ship.

Yes, they probably will have that information in them, but that won't do me any good right now, I don't want to book this excursion if I won't get back in time to make the last tender to the ship. :rolleyes:

Yes, they probably will have that information in them, but that won't do me any good right now, I don't want to book this excursion if I won't get back in time to make the last tender to the ship. :rolleyes:

Unfortunately, no one is going to be able to give you anything more definitive than the educated guesses we've given you here.

Normally, ships either stay on the time zone of the departure port or they switch the ship time to match the local time of each port as they travel.

If your ship does either of those, which is what about 99% of ships do, Cayman time and ship time will be the same (Eastern time).

However, no one can guarantee that your ship won't do something weird and unexpected...or that you'll even get to the port at all. :rolleyes: Weather occasionally causes ships to skip Cayman or change their in-port times, etc.

We are on the Liberty of the Seas (RCCL). I was hoping that someone, like you, that had recently been to Grand Cayman, could tell me the answer for sure. Appreciate all the responses, I'm going to go ahead and book the tour.

I'm also trying to book an excursion in Grand Cayman! With Stingray Sailing. We are sailing on the Voyager of the Seas in Jan. out of Galveston. Our ship arrives at 10am, too late for the morning tour.

Their reply to me seemed to leave it up to me to find out what time zone the ship is on, and to find out when the last tender leaves. :confused: This is my first cruise; I don't know! And I can't find it on RCCL website anywhere!

Our itinerary says the ship will be in port from 10 am to 6 pm, but I don't know if that's EST or CST. The tour leaves at 12:15 pm and gets back no later than 4:15 pm. So we should be ok, right?? How late does the last tender usually leave?

Anyone know that has sailed on RCCL out of Galveston to Grand Cayman?

• 2 weeks later...

Grand Cayman is on Eastern Standard Time.

They do NOT observe Daylight Savings Time like the US does.

So to state it as simply as I possibly can....

From when the US clocks "spring ahead" until they "fall back", US Eastern time will be 1 hour ahead of Grand Cayman time....

Once the clocks "fall back", US Eastern time is exactly the same as Grand Cayman.

So in January, Grand Cayman Time will be the same as Miami, Fort Lauderdale, Tampa, Port Canaveral, et al, time.......

Hope that helps....

Bill

• 1 month later...

j4farm,

I have returned from my Liberty of the Seas trip.

I can confirm that ship time and island time were the same.

Nativeway Watersports were amazing!! My family and I had the best time, the best excursion we have taken. This is my new favourite island. Let me know if you have any questions.

These private companies absolutely survive on cruise passenger business. I had questions, sent an email to the company I was dealing with, and they said for our excursions, on our ship, and the day we arrived, the excursion would be moved back to accommodate US! Just email the company if you have questions. Through research, I found that some companies seem more flexible than others.

Archived