Upgraded to #6016 against my wishes

TheNit

Does anyone have any experience with cabin #6016. We're on the 12-day Miami to Miami cruise on the Journey in December. We did the same cruise back in Feb, 2009 and (immediately) after that cruise I developed an inner ear problem (rough seas out of Miami) that I've been fighting for a year and a half. When I booked, I specifically requested deck #4 mid-ship (close to purser's office) even though they were offering veranda's for the same price, and was confirmed. I wanted to be low and mid-ship because this is the 1st cruise I've tried since having the inner ear problem.

I just checked my reservation on-line and they moved me up to #6016 which is higher and close to the front of the ship. I called customer service and they said that the Captain's Club decided to move us up, being a Select member. I asked to be moved back to my original stateroom but all of those mid-ship cabins are gone. They made a note of my problem and told me to get my TA to call them, which she will do tomorrow. If I had wanted deck 6 when I booked, I could have been mid-ship but I wanted a lower deck.

We've been on 12 cruises and for some reason the last cruise did me in. We think that cruising is the only way to go so this was my test to see if I could handle it. I don't need the odds stacked against me.

So, does anybody with inner ear/balance problems been anywhere close to #6016? I'm very worried about this and we're considering cancelling the cruise altogether unless either something is done or someone can assure me that I won't be sick for 12 days.

My DH has a similar problem and we've been in the front suite on several Oceania cruises(same ships). Using either the patch or Bonine he has had no problems and we have been in several pretty major storms. Don't cancel, have your doctor suggest something to help you if needed.:)

This sounds like the kind of situation that a travel agent can easily solve. I'm sure there is someone on deck 4 (just a window) who would be thrilled to be upgraded to deck 6 (balcony). You should be back on deck 4 midships soon.

This sounds like the kind of situation that a travel agent can easily solve. I'm sure there is someone on deck 4 (just a window) who would be thrilled to be upgraded to deck 6 (balcony). You should be back on deck 4 midships soon.

You would think that was the case but I've been going through this with them for the last hour and they basically have said the ship is sold out. They had one cabin closer to mid-ship but it was a deck higher. It's kind of difficult when booking through a Canadian distributor to get the benefits of TICO. I can only talk to my TA, who can only talk to Air Transat, who can only talk to Azamara. It's a hell of a way to try getting anything accomplished.

I talked directly to someone in Captain's Club who was very apologetic and she suggested that I go on the waitlist for Cat 5 (deck 4 mid-ship) and if one becomes available, they would call me. Maybe I was a bit petty when I said that if they had called me before moving me, there wouldn't be this problem.

Happily, I'm back to my original cabin. Apparently, the Canadian wholesaler's (*******) travel agent contacted her higher ups who contacted someone at Azamara. It wasn't going to happen through the normal channels. Both my TA and ***** were upset that they were not informed of the changes and basically felt like fools because their client knew more than they did. I'm guessing that they convinced Azamara to give the people in our original cabin the "upgrade" that I didn't want so maybe "luvpug" will be the one.

Happily, I'm back to my original cabin. Apparently, the Canadian wholesaler's (*******) travel agent contacted her higher ups who contacted someone at Azamara. It wasn't going to happen through the normal channels. Both my TA and ***** were upset that they were not informed of the changes and basically felt like fools because their client knew more than they did. I'm guessing that they convinced Azamara to give the people in our original cabin the "upgrade" that I didn't want so maybe "luvpug" will be the one.

Hello TheNit !

I'm happy to hear that your issue was resolved !

FYI - Since your post was important to this thread, it was edited to delete the name of the Agency involved. Discussing specific Travel Agents on Cruise Critic is not allowed per our Guidelines. Everything else in your post remains untouched.

I hope you have a wonderful Cruise on Journey.

• 2 weeks later...

Only someone who has never had serious sea-sickness could suggest that Bonine or the patch will make it all right! I use both, and have still been sent to bed for an occasional day or two on many cruises! We are VERY careful to book mid-ship cabins and have had to continually explain that the upper decks aren't attractive to us. I'm very glad this has been resolved for you - a cabin should NEVER be changed without talking to the customer - in my opinion!

Archived