Dengue fever anyone?

cjackso8

I know I can post this over in Puerto Rico's board, but by the time anyone responds over there, February will most likely have come and gone.

So I keep reading about Dengue Fever being at epidemic levels over in PR, most recently when a pro surfer died during a layover in Dallas after spending time there.

While I know there are outbreaks of all sorts of things that "yeah you can get it, but chances are you wont" I'm still a bit concerned. Has anyone heard anything as far as travel advisories, or can anyone give me any insight as to how concerned I should actually be?:confused:

I'm planning on taking a lot of bug spray, but other than that, I really don't want to derail my honeymoon from fear of mosquitos. Bio bay is already out of the picture, and I wanted to do the rain forest, but if we're being conservative on the safe side, I don't know that a humid environment like that is a great idea.

Any advice would be great, thanks! :D

I know I can post this over in Puerto Rico's board, but by the time anyone responds over there, February will most likely have come and gone.

So I keep reading about Dengue Fever being at epidemic levels over in PR, most recently when a pro surfer died during a layover in Dallas after spending time there.

While I know there are outbreaks of all sorts of things that "yeah you can get it, but chances are you wont" I'm still a bit concerned. Has anyone heard anything as far as travel advisories, or can anyone give me any insight as to how concerned I should actually be?:confused:

I'm planning on taking a lot of bug spray, but other than that, I really don't want to derail my honeymoon from fear of mosquitos. Bio bay is already out of the picture, and I wanted to do the rain forest, but if we're being conservative on the safe side, I don't know that a humid environment like that is a great idea.

Any advice would be great, thanks! :D

Its true this year was very bad for dengue fever here, since we had record amount of rain. The very best thing you can do to avoid dengue, is to use bug spray that contains DEET (such as OFF brand). Although there was a lot of press concerning the surfer who died, the truth is that almost all cases of dengue are cured (unlike malaria for example). I would not let the fear of dengue stop you from going to BioBay if you really want to do that, since the chances of you getting dengue on that trip are no bigger than getting it in the city. IF after a trip to San Juan (or other places in the caribbean) you develop a fever, DO NOT take aspirin or NSAIDS like aleeve, motrin of advil. Only take acetaminophen, keep very hydrated and get a CBC. If your platelets are low, then you will probably have dengue. Treatment for dengue is rest and hydration (very important) and daily monitoring of blood platelets. I would also like to point out that I am pretty sure you can get dengue at other caribbean islands. You just don't hear about it since most of them are not US territories and do not have to report to the CDC. Enjoy your cruise and stay in San Juan, its a lovely city and island.

ETA

I should also add, that the rain forest El Yunque is different than what you might expect. Although it does rain a lot, and it is humid, it is not very hot, especially not in February, our coldest month. El Yunque is a mountain off of the northeast coast, and receives a lot of ocean breeze. It is usually cooler up there than in the adjacent coast. Whenever I visited a rainforest recreation in the US, (like in zoos and parks) it always struck me hot hot they were. I guess they were imitating the amazon! There might be mosquitoes, but my guess is that not that many.

Everything I read about Dengue and Puerto Rico was that one was more likely to catch it from a mostquito in the city rather than the rain forest or beach. So, wear bug spray and enjoy yourself! Do visit the bio bay if that is what you want to do.

BTW: I am a generally paranoid parent and things like this scare the bajeezus out of me. Still, we took a family cruise on the Liberty and we did go to Puerto Rico during the highest point in the Dengue epidemic. We wore light colored, loose fitting clothing and used bug spray and none of us were bit by a mosquito. (My daughter was bit in St Thomas but it did not result in Dengue.) If you take the proper precautions you will know you have done all you can to prevent it.

For travel warnings see: http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/tw/tw_1764.html

you can also do a search there for dengue fever.

You don't mention whether or not you are on a cruise, I'm guessing so with the post on CCL.

I'm hitting there next week and am not concerned. If you are, one option is not to get off the boat. Secondly, do your bug spray thing.

There are a lot of places you can contract it and as mentioned about any warmer weather locale like FL, the Carib. Africa - every continent.

To me, relax a bit and take whatever precautions make you feel better.

Not all mosquitoes carry dengue. If I remember correctly, having lived in tropical islands for 4 years where dengue turned up now and then, it is the early morning and dusk times that are most of concern. Using a bug spray is a very good idea. And for what it is worth, it is not until you get your second bout of dengue of a second type (there are 3 types) that it becomes hemorragic and thus most dangerous. It does not take a lot of cases to be declared an epidemic- it is not like thousands of people have it. So do your homework, take the appropriate precautions, and remember that you are probably more in danger of being killed in a car wreck on the way to the airport going to the cruise.

Has anyone heard anything as far as travel advisories, or can anyone give me any insight as to how concerned I should actually be?:confused:

I lived in Puerto Rico for 22 years. Yes, dengue can be found there as well as any warm weather tropical destination. However, your chances of catching it are extremely slim, specially if you know where it thrives and if you wear bug spray. Not once did I catch dengue while I lived there, even when there was an "outbreak".

Don't let a sensationalized TV story affect your vacation. While it's always wise to take precautions, it's not nearly as bad as you may be thinking. It's like me not wanting to travel to the US during winter months because it's "flu season". :rolleyes:

Dengue thrives where there's stagnant water (obviously not so much in a rainforest or the bioluminiscent bay where water is in the most part flowing). You should be more concerned about places where water may not be moving (like puddles of water on any street, bucket of water that's left filled for days, etc).

Even if for some reason you DO catch dengue (which feels like a bad case of the flu), it's not as bad as they make it to be. Most people kick dengue fever with plenty of rest, fluids and some medication. Weaker individuals (older people, or very young infants, as well as those with compromised imune systems) should be more alert, but if you're an average healthy individual don't overstress! :)

Go to the rainforest! Go to the bioluminiscent bay! Have a great time!

Archived