11am flight out of Ft. Lauderdale?

lizgrl76

We're on the Caribbean Princess in July and need to catch a flight back to LA the day the ship gets back to Ft. Lauderdale. Our choics are 11am or 6:30pm and we'd rather take the 11am flight. Does that flight leave too early or will the debarkation process go quickly enough for us to make an 11am flight?

It could possibly be a bit rushed, but I think you can make it. Make sure to visit the pursers desk and get the tags that let you off in the first group. Also, you might check to see just how many ships are in port that day, it will have a big effect on things like taxis and how crowded the airport is going to be.

Just some advice, don't even think of the transfers but grab a cab and get directly to the airport.

We normally book flights out at about 11:30 and have never had a problem.

As long as the ship is not held up clearing customs, you should be able to make it.

There's a good chance you'll make it but it's by no means guaranteed. A lot will depend on the number of ships in port that day. It's possible that you might not disembark until 9:30-10AM, even with early disembarkation if there are a lot of ships. In July, I doubt there'll be a many since most ships are moved to other itineraries at that time.

Go for it but understand that there's a reason why it's recommended that you not arrange for a flight before noon.

We had the same situation. We were booked for an 11:00 a.m. flight. Our cruise is in April and we made our plane arrangements in November. In checking the flight during this last week, we found that the airlines had changed the flight from 11:00 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. In posting, I was told it is quite common for the airlines to change flight times. I was not aware this happens. This 1/2 difference just made us to nervous and I told my sister, I did not want to stress

at the end of the cruise, if we would make it on time. We just switched to the 4:00 p.m. flight. We were lucky as this time was almost sold out. If the airlines does not switch your time and you use a cab or shuttle service, you should be fine.

Carol

We had an 11:10 AM flight from FLL on Sat 02/12. I worried about getting to the airport so signed for transfers when the MSC Opera docked. We did get early tags and were just that close to making the first van....but not quite. We ended up waiting for the van driver to hustle additional passengers. We also had to contend with which airline stops were first. We always have to go through a complete search because I have two hip repalcements and my husband has an ankle replacement and hand carries all his photo equipment. Despite that, we still made it in plenty of time and cleared security quickly.

FLL is a breeze because of its proximity to the port.

While waiting in the van, many many taxis came and departed for FLL which is just minutes away....no trouble at all, cheaper and faster. Now I don't know if having MSC transfers had anything to do with early tags. I doubt it as my husband said he got them when he showed them our flight reservations.

Have fun,

Blessings

Hi!

We just flew home last Saturday on a 10:50 flight and had no problem. Be sure to get early luggage tags from the purser's desk and USE A PORTER to get your bags. The porters get through customs very quickly and will take you directly to a cab regardless of lines. We left the ship at 8:45 and were at our gate in the Ft. Lauderdale airport (having checked our bags and gone through security at 9:25.) The airport gets very busy a little later, but with an early flight you will get to the airport before the mob.

Reggie

I just did this last Sunday and had a 11:30 departure back to Canada. No problem. Just get a red priority 1 disembarkation tag and you will get there is plenty of time.

Thank you. That's good to know as we also have a 11:00 a.m. flight time on our return to Canada. There are 4 of us and we were concerned too that it might be a tight timeframe. We will definitely ask for the priority #1 tags when we arrive. This should be done right away I assume at embarkation?

Hi Scott - did you use Princess transportation or take a cab? Our flight is not until 12:30 so maybe we can lounge a little longer on the ship. The only good thing about Princess transport at $10pp is that you get good service, Porters are waiting, your bagge is put through right away, etc. The worst part is that the Delta terminal is soooooo crowded, floor sitting only.:(

Once we are checked in, does anyone know a place to sit and relax without going through security if we are early. Thanks

PS - Scott - get that review done!!!!! :D

We took a cab. Be careful though. My wife had a 12:50 flight on Delta so she stayed on board a little later and when she get to the airport the line to check in was over an hour long. She barely made her flight. When I got there a little after 9:00 there was nobody in line at the Continental ticket counter for my flight.

Scott

Thank you. That's good to know as we also have a 11:00 a.m. flight time on our return to Canada. There are 4 of us and we were concerned too that it might be a tight timeframe. We will definitely ask for the priority #1 tags when we arrive. This should be done right away I assume at embarkation?

Yes there is an annoucement in the Patter early on. Just go to the purser's deak with a copy of your airline ticket and they will take care of you.

We took a cab. Be careful though. My wife had a 12:50 flight on Delta so she stayed on board a little later and when she get to the airport the line to check in was over an hour long. She barely made her flight. When I got there a little after 9:00 there was nobody in line at the Continental ticket counter for my flight.

Scott

I think I will stick with doing the Princess transporation for return flight.

I remember getting there early enough last year to get an earlier flight and they announced to everyone in the Delta area, that every flight was booked and to please refrain from trying to get on different flights.:D I am not sure how they said it, but it was not offensive. That is why I was wondering what is around the Delta terminal. Once checked in, we don't have to hang around as was very crowded.

I noticed in your reply that you and DW took different airlines - may I be so bold as to ask why? You don't have to answer if you don't want to, I am just being curious. :)

I think I will stick with doing the Princess transporation for return flight.

I remember getting there early enough last year to get an earlier flight and they announced to everyone in the Delta area, that every flight was booked and to please refrain from trying to get on different flights.:D I am not sure how they said it, but it was not offensive. That is why I was wondering what is around the Delta terminal. Once checked in, we don't have to hang around as was very crowded.

I noticed in your reply that you and DW took different airlines - may I be so bold as to ask why? You don't have to answer if you don't want to, I am just being curious. :)

We live in Atlanta and my two kids live in Calgary so I had to fly up there to pick them up. My wife and step daughter flew nonstop from Atlanta on Delta.

Scott

Hi Liz - Try BC's Express (954-873-8383) or BC@BCsExpress.com I alway use BC when in the Ft Lauderdale/Miami area. I've never had a problem he's always on time very reliable. In addition to providing worry free transfers, BC is up on all the info you need on Dining and Lodging in the FtL/Miami areas.

We are cruising on the Mediterrainia on 4/3 and as always will be using BC once again. Give him a try you won't be dissapointed!!!:)

Yesterday we cut it very close for a 10:15 flight. I believe a lot depends on when you will be flying out (date). We were in port with 8 ships ending a lovely 10 day cruise during our northeast school vacation week. Every ship probably sold out with 23K people looking to get thru that tiny airport. We hustled off the ship to find no cabs waiting, took a town car that happened to be waiting for people with a much later flight than ours. Our driver said at a peak holiday time such as this, after 10 a.m. things really start backing up at the airport. So, although it was stressful getting to our gate, I think if we were any later things would have been ugly. I cannot wait to travel off peak when my kids are out of school.

I think an 11:00 a.m. flight will be fine. When they switched our flight to 10:30, we decided to go with a later flight. If our flight leaves at 10:30, using the time frame above we would have had about 30 minutes to get boarded onto the plane and I think we would have ended up feeling rushed, and if anything slowed us down, we might have missed the plane.

Carol

Archived