Juneau & Ketchikan - recommended activities?

Quigley10

Hi all,

My DH and I are booked on the Century for a June '11 Vancouver RT sailing - stops are in ISP, Juneau and Ketchikan with sailing at Hubbard Glacier and through the Inside Passage. It's our first trip to Alaska, and we look forward to it. We've booked a whale watch with Glacier Winds in ISP, given reviews on this site. It seems like a really great opportunity.

I'm sifting through websites and reviews right now to figure out our plans for Juneau and Ketchikan, and would love suggestions on tour companies/excursions. Above all, we want to do activities that are unique, educational and perhaps somewhat of a physical nature. What do you suggest based on your experiences there? We're definitely comfortable with (and would prefer!) tours with small groups, whether independent or through the cruise - we took a cattle-call boat ride of 300 people off of a Carnival Caribbean cruise last year, and we vowed to never do it again. We also aren't interested in taking flights/helicopters while in Alaska.

We have 12.5 hours in Juneau, so I'm thinking of the summer dog mush in the morning...I'm an animal lover, and it seems to have decent reviews. In addition, we definitely want to see the glacier and spend some time on/viewing it. The Gastineau Guiding tours (http://www.stepintoalaska.com/) really appeal to us as a potential afternoon activity, but it seems like the majority of their tours include a whale watch - would it make sense to do the whale watch in ISP and then another one in Juneau? Are there other tours that would provide a naturalist and allow us to really spend time at the glacier and learn about it instead of simply stopping there for 45 minutes?

Above and Beyond Alaska also is intriguing, but, as Floridians, I'm not optimistic that we would fare well in a 7-hour climb through the ice!

In Ketchikan, we're considering the Ketchikan Explorer or hiring Ketchikan Taxi for a private tour for totem poles, hatchery and wildlife exploration. Any other recommendations? We have 6 hours in Ketchikan.

What are the thoughts of others who have been there? We definitely would love to have some experiences that get us right in the heart of Alaska, and are eager to make the most of our trip. We would like to take another boat/water-based opportunity if we have the option.

Thank you, all! :rolleyes:

In Ketchikan, we're considering the Ketchikan Explorer or hiring Ketchikan Taxi for a private tour for totem poles, hatchery and wildlife exploration. Any other recommendations? We have 6 hours in Ketchikan.

Misty Fjords. The seaplane tour seems to be preferred. But that was not an option for us. We took an Allen Marine boat tour via the ship excursions and loved it.

Hi all,

My DH and I are booked on the Century for a June '11 Vancouver RT sailing - stops are in ISP, Juneau and Ketchikan with sailing at Hubbard Glacier and through the Inside Passage. It's our first trip to Alaska, and we look forward to it. We've booked a whale watch with Glacier Winds in ISP, given reviews on this site. It seems like a really great opportunity.

I'm sifting through websites and reviews right now to figure out our plans for Juneau and Ketchikan, and would love suggestions on tour companies/excursions. Above all, we want to do activities that are unique, educational and perhaps somewhat of a physical nature. What do you suggest based on your experiences there? We're definitely comfortable with (and would prefer!) tours with small groups, whether independent or through the cruise - we took a cattle-call boat ride of 300 people off of a Carnival Caribbean cruise last year, and we vowed to never do it again. We also aren't interested in taking flights/helicopters while in Alaska.

We have 12.5 hours in Juneau, so I'm thinking of the summer dog mush in the morning...I'm an animal lover, and it seems to have decent reviews. In addition, we definitely want to see the glacier and spend some time on/viewing it. The Gastineau Guiding tours (http://www.stepintoalaska.com/) really appeal to us as a potential afternoon activity, but it seems like the majority of their tours include a whale watch - would it make sense to do the whale watch in ISP and then another one in Juneau? Are there other tours that would provide a naturalist and allow us to really spend time at the glacier and learn about it instead of simply stopping there for 45 minutes?

Above and Beyond Alaska also is intriguing, but, as Floridians, I'm not optimistic that we would fare well in a 7-hour climb through the ice!

What are the thoughts of others who have been there? We definitely would love to have some experiences that get us right in the heart of Alaska, and are eager to make the most of our trip. We would like to take another boat/water-based opportunity if we have the option.

With your time in Juneau, I would also suggest the all day Tracy Arm boat tour- just superb for wildlife, scenery and glacier viewing. It does take up all your Juneau time, however. If you are in decent shape, you have the wrong idea about the Above and Beyond tour. Most of this is NOT "ice" hiking and you can opt to climb or not. It is not difficult to trek. Without flying this is your only option for ice access.

Verify what your "wildlife exploration" is in Ketchikan. It is simple to see eagles, and all you have to do is walk below a few docks at low tide and see all kind of "stuff". :) You are outside the bear season. A cheap alternative is to just take the city bus to Totem Bight, print out and take with you their guide sheet. http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/units/totempol.htm I have recommended an easy Ketchikan walking tour as well, that can offer a good look around the local area.

Totem Bight by bus will take you longer to get there than it takes to see the place. We were lucky to walk up on a guided tour and heard some of it. We are going back on a cruise in May and will not be going to it. This is jut my thoughts.

Totem Bight by bus will take you longer to get there than it takes to see the place. We were lucky to walk up on a guided tour and heard some of it. We are going back on a cruise in May and will not be going to it. This is jut my thoughts.

You can do this in 2 hours. You just chose to ease drop?? Tours may be of more interest to some.

Ketchican- the Bearing Sea Crabfishermans tour gets wonderful reviews from almost everyone. My son and husband took it last May and thought it was wonderful. Both informative and fun. They saw hundreds of eagles an learned a lot about crab fishing. And my husband is not a fan of the program and is hard to please. We booked it on line directly- it is exactly the same trip, the boarding is just a short walk from the ships, and you save a bit of money. They enjoyed it so much that we are returning this May and will be on it again.

Juneau is best known for whale watching. We did that last May, and are booked with Marv and Harv this May.

Hi all,

The Gastineau Guiding tours (http://www.stepintoalaska.com/) really appeal to us as a potential afternoon activity, but it seems like the majority of their tours include a whale watch - would it make sense to do the whale watch in ISP and then another one in Juneau? Are there other tours that would provide a naturalist and allow us to really spend time at the glacier and learn about it instead of simply stopping there for 45 minutes?

A little background on my feedback - Gastineau does a lot of the ship Whale and Glacier Photo safaris - which is what I took my first time to Alaska. I would highly recommend them - really knowledgeable and they are able to access trails at the glacier that are normally offlimits. They do specialize in small groups and I found them really knowledgeable about both photography and nature.

I did the whale watch out of ISP and Juneau - found Juneau more scenic - you get nice views of glaciers and mountains in addition to the whale watching. Also Gastineau uses small, but safe boats, and so are able to follow whales (at the legal distance) more easily. Overall I found Juneau more interesting due to the varied scenery compared to ISP. ISP is also famous for the huge zipline and is easy to walkaround/ do nature hikes on your own.

On the photo safari - they had a laptop hooked up to a tv in the shuttle van so you got good background info and instruction enroute to each location. They also provided a CD with additional pictures and photo lessons on the excursion I took.

Happy researching,

CG

Thanks, all...we seem to coming up with a more concrete plan:

ISP: Glacier Wind whale watch

Juneau: morning dog mushing, followed by glacier (? See below?)

Ketchikan: Sea kayaking @ Orcas Cove -ok, a complete change!

In Juneau, we'll have from 11-8 free, and we are now weighing just taking public trans to the glacier versus one of the Gastineau tours. Would the double whale watch (ISP followed by Juneau) be too similar, or would it be worth the $400 for two of us? Would we be able to see a reasonable amount if we go to the glacier by public trans?

Yikes! Alaska excursions add up quickly.

The city bus doesn't take you to the visitor center; you would have to walk about a mile further. Visit the park web site for more info on transportation, hiking trails, etc.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r10/tongass/districts/mendenhall/visitorinfo.shtml

Look at MGT; they have a shuttle bus to Mendenhall for $14 RT.

As for the whale viewing I wouldn't pay $400 for a 2nd trip, but that's my interest level (and budget).

Is your dog mushing on the snow or a dirt trail? just in case it makes a difference to you.

With your time in Juneau, I would also suggest the all day Tracy Arm boat tour- just superb for wildlife, scenery and glacier viewing. It does take up all your Juneau time, however. If you are in decent shape, you have the wrong idea about the Above and Beyond tour. Most of this is NOT "ice" hiking and you can opt to climb or not. It is not difficult to trek. Without flying this is your only option for ice access.

Verify what your "wildlife exploration" is in Ketchikan. It is simple to see eagles, and all you have to do is walk below a few docks at low tide and see all kind of "stuff". :) You are outside the bear season. A cheap alternative is to just take the city bus to Totem Bight, print out and take with you their guide sheet. http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/units/totempol.htm I have recommended an easy Ketchikan walking tour as well, that can offer a good look around the local area.

Who would you recommend for the Tracy Arm boat tour? Would the wild life still be abundant in September? Do you recommend Above and Beyond for glacier trekking and climbing? Anyone else you would recommend? Thanks!!

You can do this in 2 hours. You just chose to ease drop?? Tours may be of more interest to some.

Let me answer both of your comments. First maybe you have not been there when a tour is going on. Well let me explain. The place is set up with a walk way the size of a sidewalk in some areas, narrow in places. So there were about 15 or so people standing all around and including in the walkway. We were on the side next to the woods and the small hill and not able to get through and by respect was not going to interrupt these people listening to the guide. As I said, we heard a little of what they were saying, I didn't say we followed them around for a free guided tour. When they began to leave that area, we went around them all. No, as I said, the lack of interest was "my Opinion". This is what I have gotten off this forum, Peoples Opinions and respect them all. I still have to make up my own mind weather or not I want to do whatever. And again "these are my opinions". ;)

Who would you recommend for the Tracy Arm boat tour? Would the wild life still be abundant in September? Do you recommend Above and Beyond for glacier trekking and climbing? Anyone else you would recommend? Thanks!!

I'd love to know this, too. Thank you!

I'd love to know this, too. Thank you!

Adventure Bound and Allen Marine are the 2 that come to mind. Check their web sites for specifics on times and rates.

Do a search in this forum for Tracy Arm and I'm sure lots of information and recommendations will come up.

It'd be the dirt trail mushing...while I'd love to do more, a helicopter for 2 to mush just isn't in our budget.

yes, the excursions can quickly add up. My first trip to Alaska was by ferry, so there were no excursions ! To be honest I was quite content to enjoy the scenery from the ferry; watching the little towns, fishing boats, lighthouses, seaplanes, the forests, and waterfalls.

For Tracy Arm, you need a 12 hour port time, 7-7p, approx.

This season, there were reports on Allen Marine's jet boat tours- have not seen any reviews on the round trip tours that were supposed to run?

Above and Beyond, has consistant rave reviews. They are the only guided company that I know of who has access to Mendenhall. I have not used them. Do a board search.

As for "abundant" wildlife on a Tracy Arm, trip, likely not. The basis of this trip is scenery and glacier access.

Thanks, all, for your advice. We ended up with the following itinerary (note: no mushing!), and we are quite excited.

ISP: Glacier Winds Whale Watch

Juneau: Above & Beyond AK Mendenhall Glacier Trek

Ketchikan: Southeast Sea Kayaking Orcas Cove

I very much appreciate the wonderful feedback of everyone on this board!

Thanks, all, for your advice. We ended up with the following itinerary (note: no mushing!), and we are quite excited.

ISP: Glacier Winds Whale Watch

Juneau: Above & Beyond AK Mendenhall Glacier Trek

Ketchikan: Southeast Sea Kayaking Orcas Cove

I very much appreciate the wonderful feedback of everyone on this board!

We did the Above and Beyond Mendenhall Glacier Trek in Juneau and the Southeast Sea Kayaking Orcas Cove trip in Ketchikan in August. We also did the dog mushing, as our ship stopped in Skagway. Although we enjoyed the dog mushing, we were not as impressed with that excursion as we were with the ones you chose. Have a great trip.

Archived