One Way NB Cruise Options

rdnpdx1

We have cruised in the Caribbean and are doing a 2011 Baltic Cruise. Both were/are with NCL, which we like.

However,we are planning a 2012 Alaska cruise and definitely want to do a one way cruise our of either Seattle or Vancouver. As we live in Portland, Oregon either is in easy reach. We do not want a round trip cruise because we want to add on a week on land at the finish of the cruise and will fly home from either Anchorage or Fairbanks on the conclusion of the land tour. NCL offers only no one way cruises. So we are trying to find options.

I am aware that HAL and Princess both do one way cruises but am unsure whether any other cruise lines offer them. Does anyone know this? And between those which do, do any board members have opinions as to which line is better option, and why?

If it makes any difference to your recommendations, we will be travelling with a group of 8-10 including DW's 89 y.o. father, assuming he is healthy enough to travel. Right now he's fit as a 25 y.o. We will also have our two grown 21 and 25 y.o. children with us.

Thanks for your thoughts and assistance.

Bob

The best one ways are out of Vancover IMHO. HAL and Princess have the most sailings when I was planning last year. Vancouver was a bit too far a drive for us and we choose roundtrip out of Seattle.

We liked Princess and they have been our first choice. For Alaska you can't go wrong with either as they have multiple ships going several times a week. The other lines do sail but have more limited sailings. Try any of the many online TAs for schedule information.

The HAL reputation still hangs over me, so I always look first at Princess if schedule or price or ports make a difference. My group from 83 to 9 enjoyed Princess the past year. The dining service was a bit worst and variable than in the past but still passable for mass service that you need to roll with on such an adventure.

We have cruised in the Caribbean and are doing a 2011 Baltic Cruise. Both were/are with NCL, which we like.

However,we are planning a 2012 Alaska cruise and definitely want to do a one way cruise our of either Seattle or Vancouver. As we live in Portland, Oregon either is in easy reach. We do not want a round trip cruise because we want to add on a week on land at the finish of the cruise and will fly home from either Anchorage or Fairbanks on the conclusion of the land tour. NCL offers only no one way cruises. So we are trying to find options.

I am aware that HAL and Princess both do one way cruises but am unsure whether any other cruise lines offer them. Does anyone know this? And between those which do, do any board members have opinions as to which line is better option, and why?

If it makes any difference to your recommendations, we will be travelling with a group of 8-10 including DW's 89 y.o. father, assuming he is healthy enough to travel. Right now he's fit as a 25 y.o. We will also have our two grown 21 and 25 y.o. children with us.

Thanks for your thoughts and assistance.

Bob

I think Celebrity also does one ways. I can vouch for Princess giving a great Alaskan cruise, and hope HAL does since we're going on HAL in 2011. You may want to consider a Princess Southbound. It goes to both Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier, the 2 biggies for glacier viewing. I'm not sure there are any one ways out of Seattle, but recommend sailing to/from Vancouver because Seattle sailings are out of protected waters for a day (or 2 days if doing R/T.) Sailing out of Vancouver offers scenic scenery for most of the cruise, and has less chance of rough seas.

I think Celebrity also does one ways. I can vouch for Princess giving a great Alaskan cruise, and hope HAL does since we're going on HAL in 2011. You may want to consider a Princess Southbound. It goes to both Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier, the 2 biggies for glacier viewing. I'm not sure there are any one ways out of Seattle, but recommend sailing to/from Vancouver because Seattle sailings are out of protected waters for a day (or 2 days if doing R/T.) Sailing out of Vancouver offers scenic scenery for most of the cruise, and has less chance of rough seas.

Thanks, we'll look at SB. The possibility of both glaciers is very enticing. I just found that RCI also does one way trips. I will check Celebrity also. Having never sailed on any of them, not sure which would be best all other things being similar. I know each line has its boosters.

The best one ways are out of Vancover IMHO. HAL and Princess have the most sailings when I was planning last year. Vancouver was a bit too far a drive for us and we choose roundtrip out of Seattle.

We liked Princess and they have been our first choice. For Alaska you can't go wrong with either as they have multiple ships going several times a week. The other lines do sail but have more limited sailings. Try any of the many online TAs for schedule information.

The HAL reputation still hangs over me, so I always look first at Princess if schedule or price or ports make a difference. My group from 83 to 9 enjoyed Princess the past year. The dining service was a bit worst and variable than in the past but still passable for mass service that you need to roll with on such an adventure.

There are NO one way cruises out of Seattle.

Seattle and Vancouver are at most 4+ hours apart. Transit between the two, one way rental cars, Amtrak, cruise contracted buses, independent buses. You do need an overnight prior in Seattle, unless you have a very early arrival.

Of the major mass market cruiselines- HAL, Princess, RCI, Celebrity all do one way cruises. All but Princess port in Seward. Princess ports in Whittier.

I suggest you find out about Alaska cruising. There are a LOT Of differences. There are only 6 Alaska inside ports. It would be a benefit to you, to find out what activities may be of the most interest. Glaciers are very different. Look at port times.

Head to your library and get Alaska By Cruiseship, along with Alaska travel guides. You need to do just as much homework for your interior Alaska touring. I see many common "mistakes", over and over.

Finally, Look at price. Factor everything into a priority list. This should be more manageable then just looking at "cruises".

Demographics are similar on all ships sailing Alaska. Seward can be a definite plus for embarkment/disembarkment as there are many excellent touring opportunities to consider. If you go to Whittier, you may not have the opportunity. Contrast- it's an easy add on out of Anchorage to do day trips to Whittier.

Head to your library and get Alaska By Cruiseship, along with Alaska travel guides. You need to do just as much homework for your interior Alaska touring. I see many common "mistakes", over and over.

I noticed that in the past you always recommended Frommer's and Fodors Alaska Books. In your most recent posts you are now suggesting Alaska by Cruiseship. Any reason you have not been suggesting the Frommer's and Fodor's books any longer?

Thanks, we'll look at SB. The possibility of both glaciers is very enticing. I just found that RCI also does one way trips. I will check Celebrity also. Having never sailed on any of them, not sure which would be best all other things being similar. I know each line has its boosters.

If glaciers are a priority, the SB Princess cruise sailing both Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier is a great choice. I surely wish it had been offered when I went to Alaska in 2008. It would have been a no-brainer for me as glaciers were our priority.

Since you are planning on doing an independent land tour, you can always fit in Seward if you want to take advantage of this area. It can involve a bit of backtracking or adding expense getting to Whittier, but in my mind, well worth it. Another option for glacier touring is to add on a PWS tour out of Whittier before you board your cruiseship. (assuming you go with Princess). Great area to take a boat tour. The tours going through Esther Passage come highly recommended. If you sail out of Seward, you can include a day trip to Whittier if of interest.

I noticed that in the past you always recommended Frommer's and Fodors Alaska Books. In your most recent posts you are now suggesting Alaska by Cruiseship. Any reason you have not been suggesting the Frommer's and Fodor's books any longer?

Absolutely not. :) I recommend- Alaska By Cruiseship as a priority for those who do not have plenty of the basics, since that is what is very important in the initial planning stages. (you have been around long enough to see, people who don't know about the routes, glaciers, touring options etc) This book is a very good guide, to first continue looking at. Actually, I have been a contributing writer to one of the other books.

Archived