Packing pop

Biffer1997

Same here..its all coke..."what kinda coke do ya want?"

Any way, we pack a duffle type back in our suit case and take it out at the pre cruise hotel. I then put my 12 pack of diet dr. pepper type cokes in there along with about 6 one liter bottles of water and perrier and pelligrino for my DH. We then CHECK that bag with the porter. I'm not carrying that heavy bag on! I've never had difficulty getting it on the ship. It does get searched because I get a nice little letter from security that they have looked for contriband but that it passed....

Have to have my Diet Dr. Pepper. We put ours in a rolling bag and right on the ship it goes with us.

In Oklahoma, it's always called pop. Soda, soda pop, soft drinks--they all make sense. What makes no sense is calling everything coke like they do in Texas.:rolleyes:

"Can I have a Coke?"

"Sure, what kind?"

"A Coke"

"Yeah, what kind?"

"COKE!!!!!!!!!"

:p

Everything in coke here in GA too. Guess because it is where coke originated.

Yeah, you can definitely bring your cooler on board with you. You can even bring a hard cooler, as long as it doesn't exceed the dimensions (not sure exactly what the limit is). It's actually a part of the room steward's job (not the porter:p) to keep your cooler filled with ice. We bring a soft cooler on every cruise (easy to pack). Of course, we usually won't get ice until the end of the first day, but we've got chilled drinks ready to go the rest of the cruise. Often, the steward doesn't put enough ice in the cooler, or forgets to put any in. Fortunately on the Triumph, they always had the door to the ice machine unlocked, and we could go get more on our own.

12 x 12 x 12.

I dont feel that it is the room stewards JOB to fill your personal cooler. If you are asking for extra services, I would tip extra.

Same here..its all coke..."what kinda coke do ya want?"

Any way, we pack a duffle type back in our suit case and take it out at the pre cruise hotel. I then put my 12 pack of diet dr. pepper type cokes in there along with about 6 one liter bottles of water and perrier and pelligrino for my DH. We then CHECK that bag with the porter. I'm not carrying that heavy bag on! I've never had difficulty getting it on the ship. It does get searched because I get a nice little letter from security that they have looked for contriband but that it passed....

How does this work? I want a Sprite Coke please? A rootbeer coke? MtDew Coke? Lol.

In Michigan, I've worked in restaurants that sold Pepsi products. We were not allowed to say coke. If a customer ordered a coke we had to ask if Pepsi was okay. Some restaurants do that and some don't. I prefer that they do because I do not like pepsi vs. coke out of a fountain. If they only have pepsi products I'll order a rootbeer or MtDew.

But back to the origianal question... I usually carry a couple bottles of Coke in my carryon. I can always get more in ports. One time when we had all four kids with us I put a case of water in one of those mesh type bags that you get at the dollar store and checked it. I don't usually do that because it is sooo heavy for the porters I can see why they're making you carry it on yourself in some cases. I would also be worried about sticky pop getting broke in your luggage. Have you seen how they load that luggage? Those cages they put them in are huge!! If your case is on the bottom of the crate there has got to be thousands of pounds on top of it. My brother had his camera broke while in the suitcase and my other brother had a bottle of rum broke in his. I've had my toiletries leak even though they were packed well and caps on tight. I think it's just the pressure of all that weight.

Having lived in Michigan for the last 23 years I now call it pop, but growing up in northeastern Massachusetts we called it "tonic"! Although I'm not sure what they call it now in MA, I know when I go visit my 90 year old Mom she still calls it tonic and it sounds so foreign to me!LOL

• 1 year later...

The word Pop comes from the proper name Soda Pop. The word pop itself came from Canada where the acadians 9french of east canada started speaking half french and half english. Pop suddenly became a word easily recognized across canada after the 1950's , Most states east of the rockies use the word pop , that is , states that are closely connected to Canada.

if you go to Maine, they know the word Pop, if you go to New hampshire, the waitress will make fun of you with laughter and say what POP?

Some people may say pop came from POP Shop which was bought out by RC Cola. Pop Shop was big in the Atlantic provinces back in the early 80's and late 70's.

Fyi: The returnable bottle or the soda "pop" deposit bottles first started in the early 80s in Prince Edward Island. Not all states have returnable bottles program which is sad. deposit bottles no longer found in city dumps or landfills and are reusable or recycled back to the consumer

The word Pop comes from the proper name Soda Pop. The word pop itself came from Canada where the acadians 9french of east canada started speaking half french and half english. Pop suddenly became a word easily recognized across canada after the 1950's , Most states east of the rockies use the word pop , that is , states that are closely connected to Canada.

if you go to Maine, they know the word Pop, if you go to New hampshire, the waitress will make fun of you with laughter and say what POP?

Some people may say pop came from POP Shop which was bought out by RC Cola. Pop Shop was big in the Atlantic provinces back in the early 80's and late 70's.

Fyi: The returnable bottle or the soda "pop" deposit bottles first started in the early 80s in Prince Edward Island. Not all states have returnable bottles program which is sad. deposit bottles no longer found in city dumps or landfills and are reusable or recycled back to the consumer

Thanks for the vocab lesson!:D You do realize this thread is 2 years old?

Anyone know if, when your cruise is longer than a standard 7-day cruise (specifically 15 days to Hawaii) when boarding you are allowed to bring on any more than the standard 12 sodas (Pops? Cokes? Cold drinks? Tonics? Whatever it's called where you live)? Or, if not, can additional cans/bottles be purchased in ports and brought aboard to be taken to your cabin?

Archived