Silversea Review from one who has sailed RSSC a couple of times

SanFranCruizer

My parents did this trip along with me and my partner. We booked the 5-day Wonders of China pre-cruise tour via Silversea, so we flew to Beijing and spent 3 days there then a day in Xian and then on to Hong Kong, where we sailed round-trip. The pre-tour was amazing. Silversea put us up in good hotels and the guides hired cared for us well.

Embarkation: We transferred from the Intercontinental Hotel in Hong Kong to the ship, where we boarded, registered, and were eating lunch on the pool deck, all in about 12 minutes. In this regard, very much like what we have encountered on Regent.

Suite: We opted for the Vista Suite, and it was lovely. It felt very similar to the balcony suites on Regent (esp. Navigator) minus the balcony. We often are up on deck, so we didn't miss the balcony at all. Beds were extraordinarily comfortable, and the linens were great. Suite attendant and butler were wonderful and provided excellent service.

Public Rooms: We liked the Shadow quite a bit, and at times it seemed we were on Regent's Navigator because they are very similar in size. We did miss the Coffee Connection area that Regent's Mariner has. But there were the usual lounges, bars, computer room, library, etc. The carpets are worn, but the ship is going into dry dock in the Spring of 2011 and these will be swapped out. Overall, the ship remains elegant.

Service: This is where Silversea actually trumped Regent. Service on Regent is never awful, but in 2 cruises we have done it hasn't been great either. On the Shadow, people all over the ship called us by name by the first evening. They remembered the drinks we liked, where we like to sit, etc. I never once saw a scowl on unhappy face on the crew members. The service was simply extraordinary. I don't think I have ever had service like this on any cruise I have taken.

Food: Of course, very subjective, but meals were quite good. We wish they had more dining venues/options, but the size of the ship limits that. The main dining room was great. We did Dinner Under the Stars one night and it was good. We also tried out La Terrazza, the Italian restaurant one night and it was good. Service, again, was remarkable. Wine was quite good, and it was better than what is often served on Regent. They poured some excellent Cote du Rhone, wonderful Cabernet from Chile, a Pinotage, some amazing White Bordeaux, a New Zealand Sauvignon blanc, various Spanish wines and a few American reds. Wine service was excellent with wine stewards offering other complimentary bottles even before you tasted the wines of the evening. They seemed to want to make sure you got wine you enjoyed.

Smoking: I know a lot of people who sail Regent who refuse to try Silversea because of the smoking. Well, I smoke, and I never smoke in my cabin. And I have to say Regent actually had more places to smoke on their ships. Ironic. The smokers congregated in the set places, but this didn't seem to be a bother to the nonsmokers. In fact, I have gotten more awful looks from nonsmokers on Regent. So, I would say if the smoking this scares you away from Silversea, you are missing out.

Excursions: We did the Acrobat Show and Dinner in Shanghai. The other ports we did on our own. The acrobat show was quite good. The dinner, not so good. Alas. But we certainly weren't hungry.

General: We loved this cruise because we got to see Beijing, Xian, Hong Kong (all prior to sailing) and Okinawa, Shanghai, and Keelung and Kaioshung in Taiwan. We found the passengers to be a bit more standoffish on Silversea in comparison to Regent, but it didn't bother us. I had quite a number of passengers who, even after 4 days on board, believe me to be a member of the crew (thanks to my age and my dark skin). One woman actually demanded I get her a new napkin! I politely told her to ask someone who worked on the ship!! Another passenger asked me how at my age I could afford such a trip. I was somewhat stunned. I have sailed Regent twice and never had such things happen to me. That said, the fellow passengers did not ruin my trip.

I will definitely sail Silversea again. I do think my favorite ship is Regent's Seven Seas Mariner. It is just enough bigger to offer more public spaces. And it has real Bingo for money and not just for stupid points! But Silversea's service is just phenomenal. The Shadow is a great ship, and I hope to sail on her again soon. By then, she will have all new carpeting.

Dale, Jacob;

Thanks for taking the time to share your Shadow review. Absolutely agree that you could close your eyes and feel you are on the Navigator when you are on board the Shadow. Both were built by Mariotti Shipyard builders in Genoa.

I have wanted to try SilverSeas, but my wife is very sensitive to cigarette smoke. Did you smell any smoke?

Also, I was also mistaken for a crew member when boarding on Regent a couple of years back. Even though I am black, my skin color is about the same shade as many of the asian crew members!

I'm with Wes here, close your eyes, and you feel like you are on the Navigator on the Shadow and Whisper. These are both wonderful lines, and I would cruise with either in a minute (but have only done Shadow and Whisper once each). Whatever nuances there are between the ships is simply a matter of time and place and your particular experience of the moment with service. I love them both.

While we will not be on the Whisper until May, I certainly hope that I will not be able to close my eyes and feel like I am on the Navigator! The Navigator (unlike the Whisper or Shadow) was built on a Russian hull that was intended to be either a ice-breaking ship or a spy ship (depending upon which story is correct). Despite spending around $100K, Regent is unable to fix this beautiful, flawed ship.

Our expectation is that the Whisper/Shadow are the approximate size of the Navigator. Of course, Silversea -- not Mariotti -- did the design for the interior. We look forward to sailing on the Whisper as she is a favorite of many SS passengers and crew.

SanFranCruizer: Really enjoyed your review and found your observations of the Shadow similiar to ours on the Spirit. I didn't post earlier as I wanted to make sure I had something worthwhile to say before posting. BTW, I noticed that you are on the Rome to Ft. Lauderdale crossing on the Mariner next November. There should be a large group of CC'ers on that cruise. Really looking forward to it.:)

I have wanted to try SilverSeas, but my wife is very sensitive to cigarette smoke. Did you smell any smoke?

I smoke, so I may not be the right person to ask. I will say that that there are very few places to smoke and that smoking seems no different than other lines that are considered conservative about smoking. My parents don't smoke and they say they never smelled smoke in their cabin or in the hallways. They were surprised smoking is allowed in the cabins because they had no trace of previous smoke, but they seem to have a way of cleaning and ionizing to eliminate any residual smoke.

I smoke, so I may not be the right person to ask. I will say that that there are very few places to smoke and that smoking seems no different than other lines that are considered conservative about smoking. My parents don't smoke and they say they never smelled smoke in their cabin or in the hallways. They were surprised smoking is allowed in the cabins because they had no trace of previous smoke, but they seem to have a way of cleaning and ionizing to eliminate any residual smoke.

First of all, let me say that I appreciate that you prefaced your remarks by stating that you are a smoker. Very often, when asked, certain Cruise Critic posters who are smokers don't state that, and instead say only "you won't smell smoke; it's not a problem," so thank you.

We are nonsmokers, and we have been on lines where smoking is permitted in the cabin, and it has been a hit or miss situation. Standard, turnaround day cleaning, will not eliminate residual smoke odor in a room where there has been smoking. However, "super cleaning" might, and should be requested ahead of time along with a note that the requester is very sensitive to all smoke, including residual smoke odor.

We had a terrible situation on a HAL cruise with residual smoke (as well as balcony smoke that made our own balcony unusable), and so we now choose cruise lines very carefully, and we won't book Silversea until we are assured that we will have a smoke free cabin and balcony.

Not to turn this into a smoking thread, but we have also cruised where they allow smoking in the cabins (how anyone could ever want to smoke in a space that small is beyond me :confused: ) and the best bet is for you to request that an ionizer be used in your cabin prior to your occupying it....that seems to get rid of all the smoke smell. Just a suggestion

Edited to add that I am also a smoker, albeit an "outside" one, and the smell sickens me as well.

Archived