Ruby review Nov. 14-21. Ruby doesn't shine.

ruatha65

The last person you want to hear from is one that is still looking forward to the cruise. Yes, we leave next Sunday. Did the Crown last December for a similar Cruise. St. Maartan and Turks are new destinations. We did get picked for the Chefs Table last year. Thoroughly enjoyed it. We also always enjoy the Crown Grill. Don't think we will try for the Chef's Table this time but the Crown will be at least one evening. We'll let you know how the french side of St. Maaran is. I think we will rent a car. Thanks again for your notes and humour.

We set sail on Ruby in 3 weeks. Did you do the Crown Grill twice in the same cruise?

Yes we did. First and last night. The only problem with going that first night is it spoils you for the DR. The food quality is just so spectacular at the Crown that the DR cannot compare. Don't get me wrong, the DR food is as good or better than the average sit down restaurant. They just cannot give you the individual attention and TLC that the Crown can and does.

The last person you want to hear from is one that is still looking forward to the cruise. Yes, we leave next Sunday. Did the Crown last December for a similar Cruise. St. Maartan and Turks are new destinations. We did get picked for the Chefs Table last year. Thoroughly enjoyed it. We also always enjoy the Crown Grill. Don't think we will try for the Chef's Table this time but the Crown will be at least one evening. We'll let you know how the french side of St. Maaran is. I think we will rent a car. Thanks again for your notes and humour.

Bon voyage! Say hello to Felipe and Generoso for me.

Boy, did you ever get me! :D

I read through the whole review thinking "What is this guy talking about? There aren't any major issues here. Why does it not shine? What am I missing?"

Of course, then I read the last part and got a 'hit myself on the forehead' feeling. :rolleyes:

Glad you had a good time. We are on the Ruby in April and I can't wait!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the review ruatha65! It is too bad that our Meet and Greet got cut short but things happen.

I am going to keep your review to remember the highlights.

Kathy and I just booked the TA on the Crown for May 7 - 22 (Fort Lauderdale to Southampton). Now I have to research the port excursions. At least there is a M & G planned already :)

Karen

Thanks for the review ruatha65! It is too bad that our Meet and Greet got cut short but things happen.

I am going to keep your review to remember the highlights.

Kathy and I just booked the TA on the Crown for May 7 - 22 (Fort Lauderdale to Southampton). Now I have to research the port excursions. At least there is a M & G planned already :)

Karen

Our next sojourn will be on the Eclipse in April. We're taking our children in a family suite. This will be a grand experiment for us, can we cruise and take a family vacation at the same time? I sure hope so!!!

• 1 year later...

Thanks for the detailed and fun to read review!

We will be on the Ruby this week, so I'm getting excited!

First I've read about this perfect place for sailaway :confused: Can you tell me exactly how to find it? It's our first cruise and it sounds like the perfect spot to start the trip!

Thanks!

Hello Fellow Cruisers,

It is so nice to read how a fellow cruiser (ruatha65) has endured so well on a recent cruise, particularly the Ruby Princess. I completely understand the duress of having a meal at the Crown Grill … and you did it twice! … and how the atmosphere can be so enchanting that you wish you were eating every evening meal in there.

Alas, my family of four adults will have to embrace the challenges and pitfalls of the Ruby Princess next month as we “Escape Completely” from 19 Feb to 26 Feb. I mention this family of four adventure as we are going to make the best of our 7 day cruise by living in a Vista Suite for the week. This will be mine and my wife’s third cruise, however, only the first cruise for our two children (DS17 & DD21). I am hoping that all of the suite amenities and perks will be nothing less than spectacular and enjoyable for us all.

To cruiser “ruatha65”, your cheerful review of the Ruby Princess will resonate in my mind for the next 30+ days before we board. In St. Thomas however, I will try my best not to get “the short end of the stick” as you alluded to. I believe that ship had already sailed for us last February on the Emerald when my wife and I stopped in St. Thomas, and sadly, there were many “short ends of sticks” for the taking … luckily though, I only took one ;)

Cheers and Happy Sails to All!

Tom ………./

Thanks for the detailed and fun to read review!

We will be on the Ruby this week, so I'm getting excited!

First I've read about this perfect place for sailaway :confused: Can you tell me exactly how to find it? It's our first cruise and it sounds like the perfect spot to start the trip!

Thanks!

Well yes I can! Enter the ship (via the gangway if at all possible), take the elevator to the Lido deck and get to the starboard (right) side. Once you are there, take the hallway forward (toward the bow, aren't nautical terms fun?). At the end of the hallway is the nondescipt door I mentioned in my review. Go through that one and the next one and there you'll be! Enjoy the Ruby, she's awesome!

Hello Fellow Cruisers,

It is so nice to read how a fellow cruiser (ruatha65) has endured so well on a recent cruise, particularly the Ruby Princess. I completely understand the duress of having a meal at the Crown Grill … and you did it twice! … and how the atmosphere can be so enchanting that you wish you were eating every evening meal in there.

Alas, my family of four adults will have to embrace the challenges and pitfalls of the Ruby Princess next month as we “Escape Completely” from 19 Feb to 26 Feb. I mention this family of four adventure as we are going to make the best of our 7 day cruise by living in a Vista Suite for the week. This will be mine and my wife’s third cruise, however, only the first cruise for our two children (DS17 & DD21). I am hoping that all of the suite amenities and perks will be nothing less than spectacular and enjoyable for us all.

To cruiser “ruatha65”, your cheerful review of the Ruby Princess will resonate in my mind for the next 30+ days before we board. In St. Thomas however, I will try my best not to get “the short end of the stick” as you alluded to. I believe that ship had already sailed for us last February on the Emerald when my wife and I stopped in St. Thomas, and sadly, there were many “short ends of sticks” for the taking … luckily though, I only took one ;)

Cheers and Happy Sails to All!

Tom ………./

When the stick is 14 carat white gold and encrusted with gems you have never heard of except in the islands, be afraid.....be very afraid!!!!

Thank you!!! :D

Just to make sure I'm getting this right (I'm trying to look at the deck plans)...would these doors be near the lotus spa? out towards the forward balcony cabins?

Thanks again...really enjoyed your review, and even dh read it last night!

Thank you!!! :D

Just to make sure I'm getting this right (I'm trying to look at the deck plans)...would these doors be near the lotus spa? out towards the forward balcony cabins?

Thanks again...really enjoyed your review, and even dh read it last night!

Yes. keep going forward past the Lotus Spa, and that's the place. I'm going to try the same area on the Norwegian Sun when we next cruise in March. I may need a ladder and a lawn chair though.

Archived