Palermo on a Sunday afternoon

crenee44

From what I’ve found so far, a lot of the things in Palermo are closed on Sunday afternoons.

Any suggestions on how to spend our time in port from noon to 7 pm?

Is this a good place to just get off the ship and wonder around on our own? Out guide budget is running out so I am hoping for something pretty inexpensive.

Thanks!

Palermo is an easy port to see on your own, as you simply walk off the ship and you're already in town.

I'm not sure where you are getting your information on closings, but most things that I'm aware of will be open. For example:

The Catheral, and its treasury, will be open on Sunday afternoon. Web site here: http://www.cattedrale.palermo.it/home%20page.htm

The Palazzo Reale and the Cappella Palatina are open, but the last entry is at 1:30, so you'd probably do best to go there first: http://www.palermotourism.com/datad/cultura/scheda.asp?id=129

What types of sites are you interested in seeing?

From what I’ve found so far, a lot of the things in Palermo are closed on Sunday afternoons.

Is this a good place to just get off the ship and wonder around on our own? Out guide budget is running out so I am hoping for something pretty inexpensive.

Thanks!

A friend and I spent a most enjoyable day in Palermo on a Sunday. We just walked, found a delightful restaurant for lunch, and then back to the ship. Our husbands decided not to get off the ship and we think they missed a delightful day. I don't have pictures of the restaurant and its location on this computer, but I will look for them and post again.

One of the things we found especially interesting was seeing the locals going to and coming from church.

• 1 month later...

Thanks!

just be very careful, i'm told there's lots of crime!

We have never been big fans of Palermo (on any day) but if you want to see one of the more amazing places (the word macabre best describes this place) you might consider visiting the Cappuchin Catacombs. We think it might be open on Sundays but they do have somewhat limited hours (web site below). We will generally grab a local bus out t that neigborhood but it would be easier to simply grab a taxi if you are not the adventurious type.

http://www.whatsonwhen.com/sisp/index.htm?fx=event&event_id=33897

Hank

According to the website I visited, the Cappuchin Catacombs is open on Sundays from 9 a.m. to noon and then from 3-5 and 3-7 in the summer. Entrance fee is 1.50 euros. This is something I would definitely have to do. It looks very interesting. Yes, macabre, but interesting.

A friend and I spent a most enjoyable day in Palermo on a Sunday. We just walked, found a delightful restaurant for lunch, and then back to the ship. Our husbands decided not to get off the ship and we think they missed a delightful day. I don't have pictures of the restaurant and its location on this computer, but I will look for them and post again.

One of the things we found especially interesting was seeing the locals going to and coming from church.

That sounds like a good plan. And if anyone in our group wants to check out the catacombs they can. I don't think it is really my kind of thing.

Thanks everyone!

We should have mentioned more about the catacombs. They are part of a small monestery and are run by real Monks. When we first went to this place they did not welcome large tour groups. One never knew if they would be allowed into the facility. The best way was to show up in a very small group (we were two) and just drop some money into the dish held by the Monk at the entrance (inside the building). If he thought you looked OK (not sure what this means) he would give you a slight nod and you could go down the steps. We have since heard that they have become a bit more entreprenaurial and now welcome most respectful groups. To this day, and after more then forty yeas of international travel to about 80 countries this place ranks as one of the most bizarre of all!

Hank

Archived