Jewel move to Alaska in 2012

Just read a post about the Jewel going from NYC to the Alaska run beginning in spring 2012. How would you find out how the repo would work on such a move? I tried the NCL website but when you put in Jewel and 2012 all you get is Alaska trips. Will they move the ship in one trip or will they break it up. What a cruise that would be - down the east coast, thru the Panama Canal and up the west coast.:)

Just read a post about the Jewel going from NYC to the Alaska run beginning in spring 2012. How would you find out how the repo would work on such a move? I tried the NCL website but when you put in Jewel and 2012 all you get is Alaska trips. Will they move the ship in one trip or will they break it up. What a cruise that would be - down the east coast, thru the Panama Canal and up the west coast.:)

NCL hasn't actually finished posting all their 2012 sailings yet; once they do, you'll likely find the repo under two sections: "Panama Canal", and then "Pacific Coastal".

This could change in the next two years of course, but right now a typical repo Panama Canal is 14 days from Miami to LA, with stops in Columbia, Costa Rica, Guatamala, and Mexico.

The "Pacific Coastal" portion typically takes 5-7 days from LA to either Vancouver or Seattle.

Thank you for the info. I've looked into several repositioning cruises and thought they might be fun. I'll keep checking.

New Yorkers are always complaining about a limited number of itineraries. With this one you could possibly do an Alaskan cruise from New York City, back to back to back, but you would have to fly back or ride Amtrak or Greyhound... With the Jones Act you may have to ride Amtrak from Vancouver to Seattle as well, not quite sure...

Thank you for the info. I've looked into several repositioning cruises and thought they might be fun. I'll keep checking.

There is just a little less than a month between the Jewel's last NY to Bermuda cruise and her first Alaska sailing. I can envision a 12 or 13 day NY to Miami Repo cruise followed by a 15 day Miami to LA Panama Canal cruise and then probably dead head to Vancouver.

It remains to be seen what they actually do.

PE

There is just a little less than a month between the Jewel's last NY to Bermuda cruise and her first Alaska sailing. I can envision a 12 or 13 day NY to Miami Repo cruise followed by a 15 day Miami to LA Panama Canal cruise and then probably dead head to Vancouver.

It remains to be seen what they actually do.

PE

That's what I was thinking. I would love to sail from NYC to Alaska. Why do you think they would sail empty from LA to Vancouver?

That's what I was thinking. I would love to sail from NYC to Alaska. Why do you think they would sail empty from LA to Vancouver?

The typical Panama Canal cruise is already 15 days and can just make it to LA. To sail further would require more days and that would probably be a little more difficult to sell. That and I am not sure about the rules of transport from an American city to a foreign city.

PE

The typical Panama Canal cruise is already 15 days and can just make it to LA. To sail further would require more days and that would probably be a little more difficult to sell. That and I am not sure about the rules of transport from an American city to a foreign city.

PE

I see no problem with a LA to Vancouver itinerary, the Jones Act prevents a LA to Seattle itinerary... Its why all of the west coast relocations to and from the Alaskan cruises use Vancouver....

I see no problem with a LA to Vancouver itinerary, the Jones Act prevents a LA to Seattle itinerary... Its why all of the west coast relocations to and from the Alaskan cruises use Vancouver....

OK. But, do you see many people booking a 2 or 3 day cruise from LA to Vancouver?

PE

I am not sure about the rules of transport from an American city to a foreign city. PE

I'll try to give a simplified explanation of the rules in 6 steps.

(1) Only American owned' date=' American built, and American crewed ships can travel between American ports without any restrictions. If you don't meet all three conditions above, there are restrictions. For example, ferries in US waters.

(2) Any ship in the world can sail from any American port to any foreign port, the only restrictions is based upon politics between countries. For example, America bans visits to Cuba.

(3) Any ship in the world can make a [u']round trip[/u] cruise from any American port that visits any other American ports, but that ship must visit at least one foreign port during that cruise. For example, Alaskan cruises from Seattle must visit a Canadian port.

(4) Any ship in the world can make a one way cruise from any American port to any other American port, but that ship must visit at least one remote or distant foreign port during that cruise.

(5) Remote or Distant foreign port being defined as any port not considered to be in North America. Canada, USA, Mexico, Bermuda, Central America, and Caribbean ports are considered part of North America per American laws. South America's border is at the Columbia and Panama border. Netherlands Antilles islands; Aruba, Curaçao and Bonaire (ABC Islands), in the Leeward Antilles just off the Venezuelan coast are considered part of South America. For example, that's why many repositioning cruises from one American homeport to another visit an ABC Island.

(6) The Feds don't look at how the cruise lines sells or packages the cruises. What counts is where you board the ship, and where you disembark the ship. While all legs of a B2B cruise are legal, your entire B2B cruise may not. Review the 5 above steps again.

Many Southern Californians don't want to fly both ways to Seattle for an Alaskan cruise, wanting to sail directly from Los Angeles to Alaska, at least in one direction, via a B2B on a repositioning cruise. Well, since their cruise begins and ends in two different American ports, it's illegal because the one Canadian port isn't a Distant or Remote foreign port.

OK. But' date=' do you see many people booking a 2 or 3 day cruise from LA to Vancouver?

PE[/color']

Yes, in both directions. West coasters have a summer of Alaskan itineraries and a full year of Mexican Rivera itineraries. This west coast itinerary to Vancouver, not Seattle, sells well as it is basically done with relocation cruses arriving and leaving the Alaskan season... Its a shorter repo cruise for LA, NY repos to another US port has to do an Aruba cruise... For a west coast repo to Seattle from LA, a ship would have to go to Japan most likely... The first and last Alaskan cruise either start or terminate in Vancouver to get to Seattle. Sometimes the cruise lines schedule a non passenger cruise from Vancouver to Seattle to make it work within the Jones Act...

I'll try to give a simplified explanation of the rules in 6 steps.

(1) Only American owned, American built, and American crewed ships can travel between American ports without any restrictions. If you don't meet all three conditions above, there are restrictions. For example, ferries in US waters.

(2) Any ship in the world can sail from any American port to any foreign port, the only restrictions is based upon politics between countries. For example, America bans visits to Cuba.

(3) Any ship in the world can make a round trip cruise from any American port that visits any other American ports, but that ship must visit at least one foreign port during that cruise. For example, Alaskan cruises from Seattle must visit a Canadian port.

(4) Any ship in the world can make a one way cruise from any American port to any other American port, but that ship must visit at least one remote or distant foreign port during that cruise.

(5) Remote or Distant foreign port being defined as any port not considered to be in North America. Canada, USA, Mexico, Bermuda, Central America, and Caribbean ports are considered part of North America per American laws. South America's border is at the Columbia and Panama border. Netherlands Antilles islands; Aruba, Curaçao and Bonaire (ABC Islands), in the Leeward Antilles just off the Venezuelan coast are considered part of South America. For example, that's why many repositioning cruises from one American homeport to another visit an ABC Island.

(6) The Feds don't look at how the cruise lines sells or packages the cruises. What counts is where you board the ship, and where you disembark the ship. While all legs of a B2B cruise are legal, your entire B2B cruise may not. Review the 5 above steps again.

Many Southern Californians don't want to fly both ways to Seattle for an Alaskan cruise, wanting to sail directly from Los Angeles to Alaska, at least in one direction, via a B2B on a repositioning cruise. Well, since their cruise begins and ends in two different American ports, it's illegal because the one Canadian port isn't a Distant or Remote foreign port.

A very good summary. There is one more exception to the law governing your example number three....any ship can do a roundtrip from any US port into international waters without making any other stops...the so-called 'cruise to nowhere'.

A very good summary. There is one more exception to the law governing your example number three....any ship can do a roundtrip from any US port into international waters without making any other stops...the so-called 'cruise to nowhere'.

True, but my number (3) mentions visiting another American port, and as we both know, a cruise to nowhere doesn't.

I'm pretty sure others will find more examples not covered by my 6 steps, but I was trying to keep them simple. I could have given another example for step (1) as well. The Pride of America, although American flagged, doesn't quite meet the built in America requirement. It's restrictions are based upon sailing "mainly" in Hawaii, and there are ports that it can't go too.

If you look at my 6 steps more carefully, just about all involve visiting more than one American port by a foreign ship. That's when the restrictions start.

Archived