Ocean View or Balcony

taxjam

My wife and I are booking an Azamara January 2012 cruise from Buenos Aries which cruise the antarctic region for 3 days. We are debating whether to get an ocean view or a balcony. We are interested in recommendations, pros and cons, etc.

• 2 weeks later...
My wife and I are booking an Azamara January 2012 cruise from Buenos Aries which cruise the antarctic region for 3 days. We are debating whether to get an ocean view or a balcony. We are interested in recommendations, pros and cons, etc.

I always get a balcony. You don't have to go out if you think it is too cold, but if you dress right you won't be cold. You are going for sightseeing. Make that at a maximum with a balcony.

It's always nice to have a verandah but it all comes down to how much money you want to spend. Even with a verandah there are plenty of times that to get the best views such as when you are sailing off of Antarctica it is better to go out on the open deck of the ship.

Keith

• 2 weeks later...

Always prefer a balcony cabin.

Just got back from Antarctica - got tons of great shots from the balcony. If you don't have one you have to be out on deck at all times with your camera and ready to shoot. If you're just hanging out in the cabin and spot something out the window you can go get the shot.

Just my 2 cents.

We were in an ocean view on our first trip to Antarctica. We spent most of the time out on deck.

We are going again in 2012. This time we have a balcony. I still imagine we will spend most of the time out on deck, but having the balcony will be great. Remember it really does not get dark during December and January and there is always something to see.

I think it will be worthwhile to be able to go out on the balcony at any time.

251290478_a3552ebc12_o.jpg

One minute past midnight - January 1st 2005.

We were in an ocean view on our first trip to Antarctica. We spent most of the time out on deck.

We are going again in 2012. This time we have a balcony. I still imagine we will spend most of the time out on deck, but having the balcony will be great. Remember it really does not get dark during December and January and there is always something to see.

I think it will be worthwhile to be able to go out on the balcony at any time.

251290478_a3552ebc12_o.jpg

One minute past midnight - January 1st 2005.

Great photo.. Thanks for sharing.

B

Unfortuantely those balcony doors are not made for foul weather so it is very draughty in the cabin. It occasionally got very cold when in Asia during winter and so we had to turn up the heat a lot. However those balcony cabins ARE slightly bigger than the regular outside ones.....

That was our experience so this time we have decided on a regular outside for the Antarctis cruise - Take your pick....

We usually get a room with a balcony, but the small ship that we were on only had 6 suites on a high deck with balconies. We chose a picture window room on a lower deck so we would be more stable in rough seas. The entire cruise was in the Falklands, South Georgia, and Antarctica for 16 days and we spent very little time in our stateroom. If we had only 3 days in Antarctica on a big ship with most of the time around South America, I would have chosen a balcony.

Interesting to see the Multanovskiy with a blue hull. We were on sister-ship Molchanov in 2007, and at the time, both ships were all-white. By the way, the bird (#32) is a blue-eyed shag.

Hello SulfuricAcid.

Thanks for the info. I don't know the difference between one bird and another. I heard someone say Petrol.

Archived