Sail & sign charges-post cruise

Mrs. Ram

Just checked our online checking account and it looks like the money from our sail & sign has already cleared the bank for $457 and some change. Then, in our pending withdrawals it shows that there are 4 other charges from Carnival that are pending. 2 for $420 and 2 smaller charges. I know that our total was only $457 so why are these other charges still pending. The 2 for $420 are really strange. Has this happened to anyone else and were those just hold that will be back on the account in a few days?! I'm wondering if I should go ahead and contact Carnival or wait to see if they are just holds. If I do need to call Carnival, does anyone know which number or department I need to go through. Thanks!

Just checked our online checking account and it looks like the money from our sail & sign has already cleared the bank for $457 and some change. Then, in our pending withdrawals it shows that there are 4 other charges from Carnival that are pending. 2 for $420 and 2 smaller charges. I know that our total was only $457 so why are these other charges still pending. The 2 for $420 are really strange. Has this happened to anyone else and were those just hold that will be back on the account in a few days?! I'm wondering if I should go ahead and contact Carnival or wait to see if they are just holds. If I do need to call Carnival, does anyone know which number or department I need to go through. Thanks!

I believe when using a debit card the put a hold on your account, and from what I've read on the boards more than once during a cruise. The hold can be from 7-10 days maybe and then at the end they actually place the charge, but never remove the hold just let it expire. This is my understanding anyway. A lot of people recommend using a credit card rather than an acutal debit card especially if you have bills and such coming out of your account and run into problems with holds and bills not being able to be paid.

The "pending" charges are, as others have said, a hold that Carnival placed on your account to ensure they would get paid.

The "Pending" charges will be removed by your financial institution

Normally, as I understand it, let's say a hold is placed by a company for $50.

Then, when they run the final bill through if the final bill is $50, the financial institution matches the hold, pays the bill and removes the hold.

If the hold is $50 and the final bill is,,,let's say,,,,$48,, the financial institution pays the $48 and keeps the $50 as Pending,, waiting for that match of $50. If the $50 doesn't come through in XX number of days, the financial institution removes the Pending and let's you have access to it.

*****When the hold is removed is all upon the policies of YOUR financial institution***** Has nothing to do with the merchant who placed the hold.

Thanks! I was thinking the same thing but thought the holds would have been taken off when the payment went through, which it did 2 days ago. It isn't a problem financially but I will just keep an eye on it to make sure we aren't double charged:D

What I have seen with Carnival is several individual charges as they occur show up then they drop off the next day then a 2-3 days after the cruise one charge goes through with the total of all the individual charges. I've seen this even with my booking deposit.

For me the "pending" has always gone away before the total amount was permanently withdrawn however. But maybe that depends on what bank you use.

My account has the same thing. Carnival put $850 in holds and then in pending I have over $400 in itemized charges. I expected it though and it isn't any biggie, even the hotel we stayed at did the same thing. My oldest son on the otherhand didn't understand and is not a happy camper. He carries less of a balance and is basically broke until payday or they fall off his account. I think he is in the negative, but he didn't want to tell me. :rolleyes:

I just had the same experience. Got back off the Elation on Monday. Checked my charge card and had double charges for most items on my S&S. The duplicates had all been removed this morning. I have actually only noticed this on a couple of previous cruises. But it now seems to be standard policy on Carnivals part to do this. I would never use a debit card for travel as there can be little to no protection against fraudulent charges. Read your card agreement carefully as not all banks offer fraud protection for debit card usage or only limited protection.

Checked the account this morning out of curiosity and the pending transactions were gone so looks like they were just holds (which is what I was thinking.) Thanks for all the replies. Will just have to remember this the next time so I don't think they are going to over charge me.

Just off the Paradise. We use a debit card linked to a travel account when we travel so that no one can touch our checking $$$$. We only had one hold for the total amount, I think it was around $200, then it cleared and the hold dropped. It may just depend on your financial institution.

After our experience on the Triumph with using a debit card I swore never to use a debit card again on a cruise. My bank didnt remove the holds for several days and caused all sorts of things to start bouncing. :(

We dont have credit cards so we just put cash on our Sail & Sign when we get onboard. No worries. :)

Archived