Solstice Eastern or Eclipse Western??

sjkabak

My wife and I are going to be going on our first cruise since the birth of our son. We are looking forward to getting away from all of life's stresses for a week (it has been over 2 1/2 years since our last vacation).

Before starting a family, we used to take a cruise a year and have basically seen all of the Caribbean and sailed with most cruise lines. However once we sailed with Celebrity, we never changed.

Now we have to make a decision. Do we go on the Soltice (Eastern Carib) or on the Eclipse (Western Carib)? The prices are essentially the same and we are looking for the same category of cabin (AQ).

Anyone have an opinion? Also would love to see real pictures of an Aquaclass cabin.

Thank,

Steven

Steven, there is a very good thread "Solstice Pictures" a couple down that show the rooms and the rest of the ship in a great pictorial.

As to the Itin, it might depend on the time of year. We did West Carib on Solstice in Aug and had a great time. We have been to each of the ports (East and West). For a more "active/fun" week you might want Western. Eastern seems to be a little more focused on shopping intensive ports (except for Orient Beach of course :)

Also, keep in mind the water temp on Western will be chilly (not cold, but not real warm) from now until April. Eastern, with St Thomas and St Maarten will be slightly warmer is you need that factor. 3 sea days on Eastern is WONDERFUL if you just want relaxing time on ship since you have been to the islands before, plus San Juan is really a sea day due to arrival in early afternoon.

Coz, Costa Maya and Roatan might be a little more "fun" and would have better activities such as diving or other adventureous excursions. If you choose West, in Costa Maya check out Maya Chan, we had the best day of the entire cruise at that location.

Glad that you both are getting to cruise again. Enjoy and have a great time no matter the itin (or just take 2 cruises and see both :)

Tiki

We tend to enjoy the eastern Caribbean itinerary much more than the western because St. Martin is our favorite port, and we're not all that enthralled with Mexico. But at the end of the day, how bad can any cruise be - whether it's eastern or western.

For me, a no brainer - Eclipse Western. The Eclipse is new, and I enjoy the Western itinerary more. That's just me, . . . you need to figure this one out. Isn't planning a cruise great fun!!! :)

If you do choose Western, . . . when in Costa Maya - one must book with Ivan of The Native Choice!

Enjoy!!

We enjoy the different laanguages and history of the varous Eastern islands much more than Mexico and sourrounding countries.

Possible because I am European and find lots of history on all the islands. Which port city in Mexico etc. has a nice historic downtown as San Juan where you actually feel you are in a major city..

We are not beach people, but have visited many and found those in Central America to be inferior to those on the Eastern Islands. However, Belize does have great reefs for diving and snorkeling.

Steven, everyone makes good points. It would depend on what you all like to do or see. The ships are so similar, you will be happy on either. I have snorkeled all over the world and none has come close to the beauty of the reef dives in Cozumel. That is by far my favorite port, Chankanaab park is a great place to spend the day in Coz. As for the Eastern ports, I think St Thomas is just breathtaking to take in, almost as picturesque as Bermuda, but, we have run out of things to do there. St Marten is my second fav port, I would encourage you to do the America's Cup regatta if a sailboat experience appeals to you. We loved it! Also, depending on your inclination for adventure, the airport in st marten is a must see. It is right on the beach, and the planes come in so close you feel like you could jump up and touch them. It is quite the experience, and is my husbands favorite moment from any of our cruises.

Regardless of your choice, you all will have a deserved great getaway together. We sail Eclipse Jan 8 western, this cruise was my Christmas present to my hubby, and is a ploy to lure him away from his loyalty to RCI.

Tiki, what is Maya chan? This will be our first trip to Costa Maya.

Do a google search of costamayabeachresorts - maya chan. Owner is Mark. Built the resort just to cater to Cruise passengers. Difficult ride to resort (they provide taxi's or bus) but once there, it is great. Fantastic Food, Open Bar, Free Internet access to check in, great little cabana areas and good snorkeling. We actually arranged a 2 tank dive but next time will just stay at beach and swim.

Tell Mark hi from the Tiki's

I just got back from The Eclipse doing the Western Itinerary.

It was fabulous. I love Cozumel for the silver shopping and there is good snorkelling there.

Roatan was one of the most beautiful places that I've ever been.

They have the 2nd longest coral reef in the world, so again snorkelling and diving is great.

Make your way to Tabyana Beach and you'll have a great time.

Didn't care for Costa Maya, but went to see the ruins with "Native Choice" and enjoyed that.

I will be on Eclipse western in December and wonder how far Tabyana Beach is and how you get there. Any other suggestions?

When on Solstice eastern, we took a cab (about $8 pp and plentiful) to the French side and enjoyed roaming around French boutiques, cafes, and open air market.

Either itinerary should be great. Each has its attractions. We've done both several times and concluded, all else being equal (e.g. cruise length, cost, port of departure, specific ship, etc.) that we prefer the Eastern. We'll be on the Solstice Feb 6. San Juan, St. Thomas, and St. Maarten are all great stops.

I will be on Eclipse western in December and wonder how far Tabyana Beach is and how you get there. Any other suggestions?

When on Solstice eastern, we took a cab (about $8 pp and plentiful) to the French side and enjoyed roaming around French boutiques, cafes, and open air market.

At least according to the excursion channel in our stateroom, Tabyana is only accessible through cruise ship excursions. That may be completely untrue. Cabs in Roatan are not as plentiful or cheap as St. Martin, but I think it's still probably the best way to get around. Our party of 4 was charged $58 roundtrip for a beach in the same general vicinity as Tabyana.

Edited to answer OP's question--we just finished our first Western cruise. There were things about the itinerary that we loved (beauty of Roatan, eg), but I doubt we'll do it again.

We're just off the Eclipse- absolutely the most beautiful well designed ship I've seen! We prefer the Western over the Eastern.

We chartered a sailboat for sailing and snorkeling. It also included transportation to and from the pier. Things To Do Roatan is the name of the company we booked through - American owned if that makes a difference to you. We also got to shop in West End and got a great tour of the island.

Hi,

Two people mentioned Cozumel as a great snorkeling destination. Which reefs? I was there 5 years ago and;

Dzul Ha - Dead

Chankaanab - Dead

Columbia - Mostly Dead

I suspect Palancar Gardens might still be spectacular, but I didn't make it out there last trip to Coz.

Thanks,

• 2 weeks later...
Hi,

Two people mentioned Cozumel as a great snorkeling destination. Which reefs? I was there 5 years ago and;

Dzul Ha - Dead

Chankaanab - Dead

Columbia - Mostly Dead

I suspect Palancar Gardens might still be spectacular, but I didn't make it out there last trip to Coz.

Thanks,

I am not that familiar with the names of reefs, but Palancar sounds really close. We took a catamaran from the pier and it was a 20 minute ride or so.

Archived