Let me Serenade You - the 12/11-18 Review with Too Many Pictures

subtchr

As I mentioned, the biking was mostly downhill, with a couple little challenging sections and quite a bit of gravelly/rocky sections of road. Just tough enough to keep our attention and make us feel as if we were getting some exercise! A few photos along the way:

899d129a.jpg

Not sure how this will work, but (hopefully) this is a link to a short video:

th_3ada8639.jpg

634cbd73.jpg

fa609baf.jpg

8c782b85.jpg

The "sag wagon", which Sue drove behind us to carry our gear (and pick up any stragglers, if needed - no wusses in our group!):

efacd4f2.jpg

It was a gorgeous day, and it was even fun when a small rainshower passed through when we were already out swimming:

0d5599f0.jpg

another short video link:

th_17c08b16.jpg

4666ffa1.jpg

Besides running the tour company, Sue is an artist who creates and sells prints of her sketches and t-shirts that she designs. It was nice to buy a shirt that wasn't like every other mass-produced t-shirt, and Sue is happy to sign and date it:

c1c9d288.jpg

By the way, there is a restaurant/snack bar at the beach, but we wanted to have lunch back on board. We were provided all the water we wanted, including a bottle in a rack on the bike, refilled whenever needed.

After about an hour and a half to swim, we packed up to head back to the dock to return to the ship.

Here are a couple photos of the Water Island "downtown", as Sue described it, down at the dock. Post office boxes, book exchange, and general community bulletin board. What a cool place to live!

cb2b434e.jpg

460c6822.jpg

Paul, who captained the pontoon boat taking us back to the ship (Sue stayed on Water Island) was great. Funny, with plenty of stories about the islands. And as tends to happen, we who had taken the tour had "bonded" over our shared experience, so it was a fun ride back to the Serenade.

A few pics along the way:

c1f1eeaa.jpg

b447fa7e.jpg

e3397608.jpg

The yacht Martha Ann was anchored in the bay. You, too, can rent this baby for a mere 600,000 Euros. Per week. Plus expenses.

e137be97.jpg

f5fccd0f.jpg

a666da3d.jpg

We were back to the dock about 1:30 or so. We thought about stopping to do some shopping, but we are just not big shoppers, on cruises or otherwise.

Heading back to Serenade:

713dad81.jpg

91e64a71.jpg

We got cleaned up a bit, then headed to our favorite spot at the back of the WJ for lunch. A few pics of Enchantment's aft balconies from there:

5d6418ef.jpg

35ce91f9.jpg

9153759c.jpg

abb1793a.jpg

We spent the afternoon relaxing on the ship. If I recall, napping was involved.

For me, of course, there was also time to play photog...

The cool little side eating (and ping-pong-playing) area between the WJ and pool deck:

35c53885.jpg

4700f1d7.jpg

6d396474.jpg

A seaplane on takeoff:

ef14c548.jpg

c4fa4c5a.jpg

55f7b75c.jpg

More views from the ship:

6b3b9cc3.jpg

102f11a2.jpg

44020827.jpg

20965cc0.jpg

Not your average dock:

5922a682.jpg

These folks were returning from Honeymoon Beach, the same spot where we were. The wedding looked beautiful, and the group were definitely enjoying themselves. I am pretty sure I can pick out the guy who had "indulged" so much he strolled right into the ladies' restroom when several of us were trying to use it!

3737d3c0.jpg

I almost forgot until I was looking through the pics, but I visited the steam room (in the ladies' locker room near the spa) this afternoon. A lovely space, and it felt wonderful.

As others have mentioned, there are plenty of towels in the locker rooms, if you don't want to worry about pool towels. There are also nice, big showers if you grow tired of trying to shave your legs in a "tube":

8a3051c5.jpg

ff8cac82.jpg

8a867544.jpg

68d0f088.jpg

0514cc11.jpg

88ac2378.jpg

No pics from Sunday evening, but it was formal night in the MDR, and we got to meet our table mates, two very nice couples about our age. One was even from Cincinnati, about 45 minutes from where we live.

For those who are wondering, there was quite a mix of attire in the MDR for formal night, from tuxes and gowns to khakis and tropical shirts. So my advice is to dress somewhere within that spectrum and you will be fine! I don't remember seeing any shorts for dinner on formal night, but I definitely noticed quite a few on other nights. To each his own...

Headliner entertainment this night was an Elvis impersonator. Now, before you jump to conclusions (as we were tempted to do), he was actually very entertaining. In a good way. Lots of crowd interaction, and a very good singer.

On to St Croix!

Another day, another beautiful morning, another breakfast in the warm Caribbean air:

daad5284.jpg

5ecfc1ea.jpg

With a port-intensive itinerary, we knew we wanted a couple of relaxing days so that we didn't feel as if we needed a vacation after our vacation! So our original plan for today was to just walk to the beach nearby. When we talked with the helpful local guides at the end of the dock, we were told that beach had sustained some damage in recent heavy rains, so it was closed. As often happens in these cases, we just tried to be flexible and had a GREAT day because of it!

We purchased $6 round trip shuttle tickets for each of us at the table on the dock and hopped in a van to head the short distance to Sandcastle Resort. Once there we paid $20 for two beach chairs and an umbrella, and they gave us each wristbands.

It was absolutely lovely. We were among the first there (due to our inability to sleep in, even when we try...), and it was like our own little slice of paradise.

The evidence:

First, the view of the closed beach from the ship:

80ebfc46.jpg

the dock:

9de949b3.jpg

c6e31370.jpg

And Sandcastle:

f24bc90f.jpg

Archived