Snorkel suggestions for MAY 21-28

widehunters3

I would love to hear some suggestions for Maui Snorkeling. There are 5 of us traveling, none of us are strong swimmers but would love to see a coral reef and beautiful colored fish.

We are traveling on the Pride of America. The first day we plan to do the Road to Hana and the second day we have a rental car and trying to figure out where to snorkel. We have one in our group that really doesn't swim at all, but she really want to do this and I think with the right crew she will snorkel. While in Grand Cayman she did swim with the stingrays!

I have been looking at the Four Winds or Trilogy tours. Food and drinks are optional for us. I believe the Four Winds has a glass bottom, so that could be a plus for my mom.

I have read several post but I would love to hear any suggestions. We are hoping that the weather in May will be nice!

Thank you!

We are planning on going on the Pride of Mauai. It is similar to the trips you described, but has a scuba option. Since we have a scuba diver in our group of 4 and the rest of us are snorkelers, this would allow us to all do what we want while still on the same boat.:) It also goes to the Molokini Crater and Turtle Town. There is also good shore snorkeling in Maui, but a nice catamaran cruise at least once on our vacation is something we are looking forward to!:cool:

I would love to hear some suggestions for Maui Snorkeling. There are 5 of us traveling, none of us are strong swimmers but would love to see a coral reef and beautiful colored fish.

We are traveling on the Pride of America. The first day we plan to do the Road to Hana and the second day we have a rental car and trying to figure out where to snorkel. We have one in our group that really doesn't swim at all, but she really want to do this and I think with the right crew she will snorkel. While in Grand Cayman she did swim with the stingrays!

I have been looking at the Four Winds or Trilogy tours. Food and drinks are optional for us. I believe the Four Winds has a glass bottom, so that could be a plus for my mom.

I have read several post but I would love to hear any suggestions. We are hoping that the weather in May will be nice!

Thank you!

There are several good places just north of Lahaina. We like the Old Airport Beach. Great snorkeling right close from shore and a really nice beach if not snorkeling. Don't know what your plans are in Kona, but there is good snorkeling about 4 miles south of town. Its a state park, don't remember the name, but the snorkeling is easy and lots of fish and turtles. There are lots of info on the Hawaii web sites.

Your post about snorkling on Maui brings back great memories.

On our honeymoon in 1991 we did TRILOGY. It was awesome, from the time you left the dock on the large Catamaran over to the island snorkling, seeing the dolphins........beach lunch.........and relaxing entertaining journey back. It was so great we bought the video they made of us.

We had a great time, and with all the competition out there I am sure it has not changed.

If you go they tell you the docks are behind the Banyon tree, we went looking for the banyon tree at first had trouble finding it until we realized it was a huge monstrous tree with limb supports lurking all above us!!

You will have no trouble finding it.

Safe travels.

Thanks for each of your replies. I wish I could just make an decision. I would like to pre-book now. I love paying a little here and there and then when the actual vacation time comes......I don't feel the thousands of dollar hit at one time.

Since we are traveling with a big age difference it's extra hard! Dan and I are in our late 40's, our son 22 and my parents 67 and 70. My dad can swim, but my mom can NOT. My mom is pretty brave and I do believe she will try if she feels safe.

I do plan to book a morning tour. I was leaning towards a boat that has a glass bottom so if my mom didn't snorkel she could still see fish. One big concern, my parents do not drink and will frown upon being on a Party boat. My parents will love going for a boat ride and I really think they will each snorkel.

Please keep sharing your experiences and HELP me make a decision!!! Thanks!! Cruisecritic family is the best. I have been reading post from cruisecritic for years. Our last several cruise we have booked independent tours based on the reviews of others. We have never been disappointed!!! This Hawaii trip seems to be the HARDEST!!!

Kim

I've been on several AM snorkel excursions, and I've never been on one that is even in the same zip code as 'party boat.' they may serve rolls in the morning with coffee, juice, and then perhaps sandwiches or burgers for lunch. Even the "sunset' cruises from Lahaina with drinks and pupus are very tame.

Re glass-bottom, just check the websites - many have toll-free numbers so just call and ask. I recall one that had a glass bottom, Friendly Charters, and they did a fine job - but I've never been on a morning snorkel excursion that wasn't bad.

I do plan to book a morning tour. I was leaning towards a boat that has a glass bottom so if my mom didn't snorkel she could still see fish. One big concern, my parents do not drink and will frown upon being on a Party boat. My parents will love going for a boat ride and I really think they will each snorkel.

Kim

Pride of Maui has a glass bottom (or below-water viewing area). :cool:

We are planning on going on the Pride of Mauai. It is similar to the trips you described, but has a scuba option. Since we have a scuba diver in our group of 4 and the rest of us are snorkelers, this would allow us to all do what we want while still on the same boat.:) It also goes to the Molokini Crater and Turtle Town. There is also good shore snorkeling in Maui, but a nice catamaran cruise at least once on our vacation is something we are looking forward to!:cool:

Are you using the Pride of Maui shuttle service to get to the harbour? Or will you have a rental car.

I am also trying to decide which snorkel trip to do. I had one booked with NCL so I didn't have to worry about transportation on that day, but it has been cancelled by NCL:rolleyes:.

I have looked at Pride of Maui, Trilogy and Kai Kanani. They all sound good, any comments would be appreciated!

The main difference seems to be the length of the trip. Trilogy goes for 6.5 hours and I am not sure if I want to be out that long! Especially as we will be doing the trip day 2 in Maui and will need to get back to the ship. I am a worrier and would be concerned about getting back in time. Especially if I am relying on someone else to transport me.

We will have a rental car for our two days in Maui. I honestly don't know how you would get there without one as I have seen no other options, but maybe someone else knows another way. I have not been there yet. Or perhaps you could call the snorkel company and ask them for suggestions?

I see that Trilogy has a scuba option also, so that is another choice for us. It has a smaller boat, but when I put our date in they are only showing their very early AM cruise as open. 7:30 is about as early as I can see getting our crew there!:eek: Pride of Maui is not yet taking reservations for our date in May.

we went with the tour booked through NCL

pre booked on the website

chose this one on the MONDAY of the Pride of America trip...for several reasons

1. we didnt have a rental car and this offered a shuttle to marina

2. timeline: worked with the ship docking schedule

3. what all was included: two snorkel sites, all gear, instruction, lifeguards, breakfast and lunch, and LOTS of water time

4. the Pacific Whale Foundation runs this excursion and the money you spend for it goes to a great cause....plus the way they run the boat and all activities/food etc...its all very environmentally conscious.

Archived