Shuttle from Cape Liberty to Newark Airport?

jjb415

I have read on a couple of different threads here about a shuttle that is available upon disembarkation of the Explorer of the Seas at Cape Liberty that offers service to Newark Airport for $15. Has anyone used it recently or have any additional information? Thanks so much in advance.

I will be using PATH train and light rail at the beginning of my journey.

• 2 months later...
I have read on a couple of different threads here about a shuttle that is available upon disembarkation of the Explorer of the Seas at Cape Liberty that offers service to Newark Airport for $15. Has anyone used it recently or have any additional information? Thanks so much in advance.

I would think that using the light rail/PATH train would be just as easy on your return especially if that is less than a shuttle service. If the shuttle service is less than the train you should use that both ways.

I would think that using the light rail/PATH train would be just as easy on your return especially if that is less than a shuttle service. If the shuttle service is less than the train you should use that both ways.

No...you can't even do the light rail/PATH combo to get back to EWR, because PATH only goes to Newark Penn Station, not to Newark Liberty International Airport railroad station. (I suspect the OP's first trip is not going from EWR to the cruise port, but rather from a hotel in either Jersey City or Manhattan to the cruise port.) Even if we pretended for a moment that it did, it would be a royal pain in the butt compared to the direct shuttle service from cruise port to EWR. To use light rail/PATH you would first take a taxi from the cruise port to the light rail station (about $8 in and of itself), then take the light rail to PATH in Jersey City, then PATH back to Newark. Three modes of transportation, three fares, etc.

To use light rail/PATH you would first take a taxi from the cruise port to the light rail station . . . , then take the light rail to PATH in Jersey City, then PATH back to Newark. Three modes of transportation, three fares, etc.

You're underestimating that effort since that's three modes (and fares) just to Newark Pennsylvania Station. Then to go to the airport means either a bus (New Jersey Transit route 62), another mode and fare; or a train (New Jersey Transit commuter train) and a monorail (AirTrain), another two modes and fares. A delight for railfans but few others.

(There used to be a Transport of New Jersey bus route that connected New York City with McGuire A.F.B., with intermediate stops at the Bayonne Military Ocean Terminal, Newark airport, the Hilton in East Windsor, and Fort Dix. As far as I know, that was the only time there was a direct, convenient, and regularly-operating public transportation service to the airport. But that route is now long gone.)

You're underestimating that effort since that's three modes (and fares) just to Newark Pennsylvania Station. Then to go to the airport means either a bus (New Jersey Transit route 62), another mode and fare; or a train (New Jersey Transit commuter train) and a monorail (AirTrain), another two modes and fares. A delight for railfans but few others.

(There used to be a Transport of New Jersey bus route that connected New York City with McGuire A.F.B., with intermediate stops at the Bayonne Military Ocean Terminal, Newark airport, the Hilton in East Windsor, and Fort Dix. As far as I know, that was the only time there was a direct, convenient, and regularly-operating public transportation service to the airport. But that route is now long gone.)

I haven't underestimated anything. I suggest you reread my post...in particular this: "No...you can't even do the light rail/PATH combo to get back to EWR, because PATH only goes to Newark Penn Station, not to Newark Liberty International Airport railroad station. "

And then this: " Even if we pretended for a moment that it did, it would be a royal pain in the butt..."

It has been reported that such shuttle service from Cape Liberty Cruise Port to Newark Airport is available at a rate of $15 per person. No such service is offered from Newark Airport to Cape Liberty Cruise Port. I wish I could provide a first-hand report of the service, but having never had a use for it, I have never patronized it.

I haven't underestimated anything.

Your argument was that getting back to Newark Airport from the Cape Liberty Cruise Port on the public transportation system was impracticable (or more precisely, "a royal pain in the butt"). The argument did not restrict itself to "only" light rail and PATH (since it included taxi mode as well). Thus, the most direct journey using public transportation would involve the following:

1. Taxi, Cape Liberty Cruise Port to 34th Street station

2. Light rail, 34th Street station to Exchange Place station

3. PATH, Exchange Place station to Newark Pennsylvania Station

4. Bus, Newark Pennsylvania Station to Newark Airport

(or in the alternative, 4. Commuter train, Newark Pennsylvania Station to Newark Airport station, then 5. AirTrain, Newark Airport station to Newark Airport)

Even if one "pretended" that PATH went all the way the Newark Airport station, then four (not merely three) modes and fares would be required to get to the airport itself . . . since you would need to include AirTrain to travel from the airport station to the airport itself.

My follow-up post had supported and bolstered your argument that it is impracticable for most people to utilize public transportation to travel from Cape Liberty Cruise Port to Newark Airport. Now you seem to be arguing against that added support by taking the position that using public transportation is not as bad as I further characterized it ("I haven't underestimated anything").

I stand by my position that it is inconvenient and impracticable for most people to use public transportation to travel from Cape Liberty Cruise Port to Newark Airport because doing so requires 4 or 5 modes of transportation, each with their own fares.

Your argument was that getting back to Newark Airport from the Cape Liberty Cruise Port on the public transportation system was impracticable (or more precisely, "a royal pain in the butt"). The argument did not restrict itself to "only" light rail and PATH (since it included taxi mode as well). Thus, the most direct journey using public transportation would involve the following:

1. Taxi, Cape Liberty Cruise Port to 34th Street station

2. Light rail, 34th Street station to Exchange Place station

3. PATH, Exchange Place station to Newark Pennsylvania Station

4. Bus, Newark Pennsylvania Station to Newark Airport

(or in the alternative, 4. Commuter train, Newark Pennsylvania Station to Newark Airport station, then 5. AirTrain, Newark Airport station to Newark Airport)

Even if one "pretended" that PATH went all the way the Newark Airport station, then four (not merely three) modes and fares would be required to get to the airport itself . . . since you would need to include AirTrain to travel from the airport station to the airport itself.

My follow-up post had supported and bolstered your argument that it is impracticable for most people to utilize public transportation to travel from Cape Liberty Cruise Port to Newark Airport. Now you seem to be arguing against that added support by taking the position that using public transportation is not as bad as I further characterized it ("I haven't underestimated anything").

I stand by my position that it is inconvenient and impracticable for most people to use public transportation to travel from Cape Liberty Cruise Port to Newark Airport because doing so requires 4 or 5 modes of transportation, each with their own fares.

How you could possibly conclude that is beyond me. You completely missed my point...which was that it was bad enough even if you clould get to EWR using only the three modes of transporation I listed.

• 2 weeks later...

I have also read on different threads that there is a shuttle available at the Cape Liberty Cruise terminal going to Newark Airport for $15.00, but I've never used this service. Are you traveling alone or as part of a group?

For our upcoming cruise on the Celebrity Summit, I found a company that offers a variety of services including cars, "share a ride" vans, and private vans that will transport from cruise terminal to Newark airport. We made a reservation for a private van pick-up (party of 6) at a certain time to make sure that we get to the airport in time for our noon flight, so that we wouldn't have to wait for shuttle buses to fill-up. They also provide services from the airport to the cruise terminal. Here is a link if you want to check it out. Maybe somebody else has already used this service and can comment on their experience.

http://www.goairlinkshuttle.com

Archived