La Paz

Seydlitz

• 2 weeks later...

We are looking forward to going to La Paz. I am wondering if the free shuttle just takes you to Tecolete beach or does it also go to Balandra?

Balandra sounds good for swimming & snorkeling. Or would we have to take a bus from town or a taxi from the port?

thanks for any more info on this port.:)

A couple people got stung by small stingrays at the beach.

You should be aware of those at all the beaches you will stop at including here in San Diego. Like another poster said shuffle your feet in the sand. People that get stung always step on them. Also watch out for Jelly fish. If you see anything floating in the water don't touch, they don't always look like what u see on T.V.

You should be aware of those at all the beaches you will stop at including here in San Diego. Like another poster said shuffle your feet in the sand. People that get stung always step on them. Also watch out for Jelly fish. If you see anything floating in the water don't touch, they don't always look like what u see on T.V.

Another option is to wear water shoes...this will help if by chance you do get stung. I guess us West Coast people are used to the "shuffle walk" as we grew up going to beaches and being told by our Mother's to shuffle our feet.

Ok I like snorkeling, I'm a beginner though & nervious of some things in the sea. So with Sting rays, what if they don't sting you in the foot, what if they sting you somewhere else, like the crockadile guy?:eek:

Another option is to wear water shoes...this will help if by chance you do get stung. I guess us West Coast people are used to the "shuffle walk" as we grew up going to beaches and being told by our Mother's to shuffle our feet.

Ok I like snorkeling, I'm a beginner though & nervious of some things in the sea. So with Sting rays, what if they don't sting you in the foot, what if they sting you somewhere else, like the crockadile guy?:eek:

LOL...you'll be just fine. The sting rays are different than those you may be thinking of, like the one's in Grand Cayman. These are small (about the size of a dinner plate+tail) and would not have the ability to do that. They are sand in color...which is why everyone steps on them. Get some water shoes...you will be fine. We will be there with you so we will be snorkeling as well.

Are you taking the free shuttle to the beach? I think it goes to Tecolete? or do you know how to get to Playa Balandra? We thought we would take the free shuttle to town & shop & then go back & go to the beach. Thanks for the reasurance with the sting rays. :)

LOL...you'll be just fine. The sting rays are different than those you may be thinking of, like the one's in Grand Cayman. These are small (about the size of a dinner plate+tail) and would not have the ability to do that. They are sand in color...which is why everyone steps on them. Get some water shoes...you will be fine. We will be there with you so we will be snorkeling as well.

I have been told the bus stops first and Balandra then Tecolete. There are no services at Balandra...so bring your own food/water. Hopefully it is a good day as we plan to be at the beach for the whole day...we will see.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
We just back from La Paz last week. We went to Tecolote Beach using the free bus from the pier. We really enjoyed it. We just hung out on the beach, drank some beers and enjoyed some nachos. All in all it was a very inexpensive day and a great way to spend some time with the family.

Sounds perfect. Did they have margaritas, too????????? :D

What about umbrellas or chairs for rent??

I hope someone knows the answer to these questions...

Should of posted this when we got back. We went to Balandra Bay. The shuttles DO NOT take you there...need to take a taxi...$20 one-way. It was sooooo worth it. There are no bathrooms, no vendors and no services at Telecote. There was a guy renting kayaks when we were there. The snorkeling was great! We brought our own gear, snacks, water and towels. We could of left the fins home as the water was not very deep. We saw many fish, sea urchins, starfish, snails, sea cucumber and more.

Should of posted this when we got back. We went to Balandra Bay. The shuttles DO NOT take you there...need to take a taxi...$20 one-way. It was sooooo worth it. There are no bathrooms, no vendors and no services at Telecote. There was a guy renting kayaks when we were there. The snorkeling was great! We brought our own gear, snacks, water and towels. We could of left the fins home as the water was not very deep. We saw many fish, sea urchins, starfish, snails, sea cucumber and more.

Are you sure about this?? Everything I have read and even the PICTURES I have found of Tecolote Beach show a couple of small restaurants, drinks, banana boat rentals, bathrooms, etc at TECOLOTE Beach. Can you confirm your information above, please... :confused:

From Baja Insider.com

Tecolote is the largest and most popular La Paz Beach by far. Two restaurant/bars offer shade palapas and a large number of beach vendors offer refreshments. RV camping is available along with a wide variety of water sports rentals. You can even take a panaga ride to Espiritu Santo.

Same thing on Trip Advisor ~ with pictures of people sitting at restaurants and under palapas ~ on Tecolote Beach! I think it is the OTHER beach.. Balandra Beach... that is quiet and has no restrooms, no restaurants, etc... :confused:

• 2 weeks later...

Archived