Cruising around the islands: does it get rough?

SueO

Hi - I hope this isn't a repeat question. I searched and only found weather questions. We are planning a cruise around the islands out of Oahu. My husband gets motion sickness, but has managed to enjoy cruises on the Inside Passage of Alaska and in the Caribbean. We are planning on March and wonder how rough the seas usually get going from island to island.

Thanks for any info.

Sue

Hi - I hope this isn't a repeat question. I searched and only found weather questions. We are planning a cruise around the islands out of Oahu. My husband gets motion sickness, but has managed to enjoy cruises on the Inside Passage of Alaska and in the Caribbean. We are planning on March and wonder how rough the seas usually get going from island to island.

Thanks for any info.

Sue

We will be there in March 2011, is that when you are planning? If so, which sailing date will you be on?

We've been on POAm 3 times, twice in December and once in Jan/Feb. You will feel motion but rough might be a little harsh of a word. It's not like you're going to be tossed around like a rag doll. You will probably want some support but you don't need to hold on for your life.

We've never found it particularly rough because they actually travel quite slow as compared to the Caribbean or crossing the Gulf of Alaska. But I do agree you may feel more motion than either the Inside Passage or the Carribbean.

BTW we will be on POAm for two weeks starting in three weeks. I'm hopping to provide live coverage of our two weeks since I will be using my iPad.

we only felt it got rough on the very last night

the nice thing about this cruise is all the sailing happens when you are sleeping for the most part

we took a dramamine each night just in case

and neither of us ever felt any ill effects

We felt the motion on this ship much more than our previous two cruises which were both in the Caribbean. That being said, we didn't think it was too bad, but we both like the motion of the ocean. And as previously mentioned, it's not like things were falling off shelves or anything. My mother does have motion problems sometimes, and she was fine.

YMMV and I make no promises if you encounter a storm or anything, so as mentioned before, be prepared if if you are susceptible.

we just got of the POA yesterday and there was more rocking than I had experienced on other cruises. I did not get sea sick, but I took some dramamine in the evening two times to make sure. There were two nights that it was particularly noticeable. The last night and not sure the other. My in-laws had problems with their drawers opening and shutting all night. They put clothes over the front to help with the banging. Our drawers were sticky so no problems with that, our safe door banged around though until we locked it.

I think it is kind of fun when you can feel the ship, as long as you don't get sick...

As others have said, there is no way to predict what conditions will be like for you. My DH and I are prone to motion sickness. We went in May. We did feel a lot of the motion at the forward end of the ship. :) Our first morning on the ship we noticed a bit of motion in our cabin. My DH did get very queasy when he was taking a shower. A couple of ginger root capsules calmed him down. The rest of the cruise went much better for him. I took a Bonine each night and although I felt the motion, I did not have any problems getting sick.

Archived