self serve laundry facilities on Eclipse

CPCruisers

Ok I'm not going into the rights and wrongs of this discussion, but one question what do you with wet swimwear and why would anybody hang wet towels out? I take it there is towels supplied to swimmers at the pool side. Now I'm a smoker and the pictures on this thread shocked me. I have booked a balcony and I will never smoke there. As for flinging cig butts over the side then,if caught,they should be removed from the ship.

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Ok I'm not going into the rights and wrongs of this discussion, but one question what do you with wet swimwear and why would anybody hang wet towels out? I take it there is towels supplied to swimmers at the pool side. Now I'm a smoker and the pictures on this thread shocked me. I have booked a balcony and I will never smoke there. As for flinging cig butts over the side then,if caught,they should be removed from the ship.

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Hi knowehead, I wash my bathers in the shower then hang them on the hooks provided in the shower (I was in CC class so not sure if they are in all cabins) to drain off, once they stop dripping I transfer them to the back of the deck chair where I secure them by the straps.

Wet towels can go straight into the towel bins on the pool deck or on the floor of your shower, your cabin steward will remove them for you. Clean towels are available on the pool decks.

There are a couple of designated areas on the ship where you can smoke, I like your attitude.;)

... many, many people hang washing on the balcony....

My, my. You do have a gift for overly inflated exaggerations, don't you? How would you know that factoid? Do you climb the railings and wander hand over hand from balcony to balcony to take a count? Do you puff yourself up with hot air and float over the ship, making mental note of all the clothes drying on balconies? Or do you stand at the exit on disembarkation day and have people fill out questionnaires revealing how often they have hung laundry on their balconies?

I enjoy looking at my ship whenever I return from a day in port. I am always amazed at the shear size of these machines, and the wonderful elegance they display. But, I rarely, if ever, notice clothes drying on railings, tables, chairs. I really doesn't happen but rarely, and I suspect that you know that. But, telling the facts is not quite as fun as embellishing your story for effect, now is it?

My, my. You do have a gift for overly inflated exaggerations, don't you? How would you know that factoid? Do you climb the railings and wander hand over hand from balcony to balcony to take a count? Do you puff yourself up with hot air and float over the ship, making mental note of all the clothes drying on balconies? Or do you stand at the exit on disembarkation day and have people fill out questionnaires revealing how often they have hung laundry on their balconies?

I enjoy looking at my ship whenever I return from a day in port. I am always amazed at the shear size of these machines, and the wonderful elegance they display. But, I rarely, if ever, notice clothes drying on railings, tables, chairs. I really doesn't happen but rarely, and I suspect that you know that. But, telling the facts is not quite as fun as embellishing your story for effect, now is it?

Dear swsfrail, I would like to think I have a gift for being nice, try it sometimes, you might like it.:)

Enjoy your day/evening.

OK I'll join Aussie Claire and fess up that I too wash my smalls and hang them from a hanger (with built in pegs) on the back of the two chairs on our balcony.

If most people who do a bit of handwashing do the same then nobody would know.

I don't think for a minute that she is suggesting that one should hang a full wash load on the balcony "a la shantytown".

OK I'll join Aussie Claire and fess up that I too wash my smalls and hang them from a hanger (with built in pegs) on the back of the two chairs on our balcony.

If most people who do a bit of handwashing do the same then nobody would know.

I don't think for a minute that she is suggesting that one should hang a full wash load on the balcony "a la shantytown".

I agree with you!!! No problem with hanging a swimsuit on the back of the chairs on your balcony. But please, look at the pictures on page three of this thread. I'm talking of using a clothesline to dry your laundry!

I already said that if the cruise line offers self laundry I'll probably use it. :)

Aussie Claire: I didn't know my cabin was below a designated cabin area, and couldn't find another cabin like the one we wanted on a different deck. Like you I detest cigarette smoke but after many cruises with RCCL, I'm happy with Celebrity's smoking policy. I don't like controversial threads, but you did say (post #20), that you use a clothes line in your balcony. There is a big difference between hanging a few items in the back a of a chair and the use of a clothes line like the ones in the pictures on page 3. Some people here are completely against self laundry facilities, I'm not. But I'm against drying a load of laundry in a clothes line because it is a fire hazard. :):)

I agree with you!!! No problem with hanging a swimsuit on the back of the chairs on your balcony. But please, look at the pictures on page three of this thread. I'm talking of using a clothesline to dry your laundry!

I already said that if the cruise line offers self laundry I'll probably use it. :)

Aussie Claire: I didn't know my cabin was below a designated cabin area, and couldn't find another cabin like the one we wanted on a different deck. Like you I detest cigarette smoke but after many cruises with RCCL, I'm happy with Celebrity's smoking policy. I don't like controversial threads, but you did say (post #20), that you use a clothes line in your balcony. There is a big difference between hanging a few items in the back a of a chair and the use of a clothes line like the ones in the pictures on page 3. Some people here are completely against self laundry facilities, I'm not. But I'm against drying a load of laundry in a clothes line because it is a fire hazard. :):)

The clothes line I use attaches to the back of each deck chair, the deck chairs are pulled back as close to the balcony doors as possible, there are 7 permanent pegs on the line, as CABINET said 7 pegs does not constitute a weekly wash. I always travel in concierge on deck 10 in a hump cabin nowhere near the designated smoking area. My washing cannot been seen from the shore, plus I do not wash on shore days.

I have never used a clothes line like the picture on page 3.

I also don't like controversial threads, but there seems to be a culture with certain posters (and they are in many controversial threads on this board) dominating other posters.

The clothes line I use attaches to the back of each deck chair, the deck chairs are pulled back as close to the balcony doors as possible, there are 7 permanent pegs on the line, as CABINET said 7 pegs does not constitute a weekly wash. I always travel in concierge on deck 10 in a hump cabin nowhere near the designated smoking area. My washing cannot been seen from the shore, plus I do not wash on shore days.

I also don't like controversial threads, but there seems to be a culture with certain posters (and they are in many controversial threads on this board) dominating other posters.

Case closed! :) If you look at my history as a poster here I don't do controversial threads and I don't do negative posts. I was talking about the clothes lines like the pictures on page 3. I've been respectful in my posts. As I said, if Celebrity offers the laundry I will probably use it. I'm a neat freak but also I like to follow the rules. If something is not allowed on a specific cruise line I don't do it. I'm a mom, and I believe my children learn from the way I behave. How can I teach them to follow the rules if I don't do it? I'm not "abusive" or "uptight" and I do respect your "rights" or opinions. Hope you have a beautiful day!!

To be honest there is only one poster who seems to wants to be positively offensive on these laundry threads.

I suspect that now she no longer cruises regularly she has to get her fun in other ways :D.

Why is it that whenever someone criticises an aspect of Celebrity cruises they get told by some people to choose a different cruise line? I don't care if Celebrity has SS laundries or not but I can see why the lack of them could be a valid criticism. Using the "like it or leave" line adds nothing to the discussion

I guess there are two approaches to threads such where someone says they do not like a Certain policy on Celebrity: One approach is to have a theoretical debate about the pros and cons of the policy which while interesting does not usually help the poster as the discussion on a Cruise Critic thread isn't going to change the policy. The second approach is to give practical advice on how to deal with the policy and sometimes one of the points made is that "it is what it is" since it is Celebrity's cruise line and they get to set the rules. In this case I see nothing wrong with pointing out the obvious that sometimes one just has to love it or leave it. One of the key reasons that there are so many cruise lines, including multiple lines operated by the same holding companies, is that they offer different features to appeal to different people in different target markets so if one cruise line has an approach that is objectionable to someone then one of the solutions is to find one which is more to their liking. Nothing wrong with reminding people of that sometimes.

Case closed! :) If you look at my history as a poster here I don't do controversial threads and I don't do negative posts. I was talking about the clothes lines like the pictures on page 3. I've been respectful in my posts. As I said, if Celebrity offers the laundry I will probably use it. I'm a neat freak but also I like to follow the rules. If something is not allowed on a specific cruise line I don't do it. I'm a mom, and I believe my children learn from the way I behave. How can I teach them to follow the rules if I don't do it? I'm not "abusive" or "uptight" and I do respect your "rights" or opinions. Hope you have a beautiful day!!

drarill, I was not referring to you when I was discussing domineering posters, I sincerely apologise if you felt I was targeting you post.:)

I guess there are two approaches to threads such where someone says they do not a Certain policy on Celebrity: One approach is to have a theoretical debate about the pros and cons of the policy which, while interesting, does not usually help the poster as the discussion on a Cruise Critic thread isn't going to change the policy. The second approach is to give practical advice on how to deal with the policy and sometimes one of the points made is that "it is what it is" since it is Celebrity's cruise line and they get to set the rules. In this case I see nothing wrong with pointing out the obvious that sometimes one just has to love it or leave it. One of the key reasons that there are so many cruise lines, including multiple lines operated by the same holding companies, is that they offer different features to appeal to different people in different target markets so if one cruise line has an approach that is objectionable to someone then one of the solutions is to find one which is more to their liking. Nothing wrong with reminding people of that sometimes.

If the suggestion to cruise with someone else is given early on then it could be construed as practical advice but eventually it just sounds like "shut up and go away". It's also as you say, "pointing out the obvious".

You mean like someone who would post 30 times out of 112 total posts?

drarill, below is a photo of my washing on a Mediterranean cruise back in 2011, as you can see it is nothing like the photo's on page three.

P1020063.JPG

This is a good example of the type of thing one should never post on the internet where nothing is forgotten. You have posted a picture, with an admission that you violated Celebrity's safety policy on a public web site.

Did you ever think that celebrity could view your picture...and it's within their power to ban you from their ships for life.

Folks...think before you post.

This is a good example of the type of thing one should never post on the internet where nothing is forgotten. You have posted a picture, with an admission that you violated Celebrity's safety policy on a public web site.

Did you ever think that celebrity could view your picture...and it's within their power to ban you from their ships for life.

If Celebrity want to ban me then that is their choice. Hopefully they will read the whole thread and see the need for SS laundry facilities, or a clothes line in the cabin, plus, an ironing room wouldn't go astray.:)

Yeah, although I'm not sure she has posted enough info to allow Celebrity to easily identify her. It's certainly a good example of what not to do, both on board a ship and on the internet. I couldn't care less about the aesthetic issues but this is a clear violation of a safety policy.

If Celebrity want to ban me then that is their choice. Hopefully they will read the whole thread and see the need for SS laundry facilities, or a clothes line in the cabin, plus, an ironing room wouldn't go astray.:)

It's probably been said already but just take your own clothesline and attach it with a strong rare-earth magnet to any of the many metal surfaces in the bathroom. I've always found that clothes dry super fast in cruise ship bathrooms for some strange reason.

It's probably been said already but just take your own clothesline and attach it with a strong rare-earth magnet to any of the many metal surfaces in the bathroom. I've always found that clothes dry super fast in cruise ship bathrooms for some strange reason.

That's easy....it's humid outside, but the air in the ship is dehumidified so it's much dryer.....thus, things dry faster inside than outside.

That's easy....it's humid outside, but the air in the ship is dehumidified so it's much dryer.....thus, things dry faster inside than outside.

And the airflow caused by the ventilation fans I guess.

That's true. They dry just as fast inside.

I have never used a clothes line like the picture on page 3...Funny, but to me, your picture looks a lot like the pictures on page 3...except for the color and type of clothing hanging on the lines.

Hopefully they will read the whole thread and see the need for SS laundry facilities, or a clothes line in the cabin, plus, an ironing room wouldn't go astray.:)
...The issue of "the need for SS laundry facilities" has already been brought to the attention of those who really have a say on the matter...and here is what CEO Michael Bayley stated when he was on Cruise Critic last year:

October 2nd, 2012, 04:07 PM

Michael Bayley

President & CEO ~ Celebrity Cruises

Self-service laundry and irons

We currently have no plans to introduce either of these. However, we’ll continue to monitor feedback on the topic among our guests to determine if it makes sense at some point in the future. Meanwhile, I hope you’ll enjoy the time you’re not spending ironing or doing laundry on instead relishing your vacation!

Michael Bayley

President & CEO

Celebrity Cruises

http://www.celebritycruises.com

So, until such time that Celebrity announces a new build ship, it is pretty much a closed issue. So, please continue to enjoy the laundry services provided onboard by Celebrity...or not :D...and feel free to contact Celebrity directly with your feedback !

Enjoy

Woody

Archived