Snorkling at Paradise Beach?

excitedcruiser

Can't seem to get a real clear answer on this. We were at Chankanaab on our last visit to Cozumel. Looking for a new beach to relax at and do some snorkling. Is there a snorkling area at Paradise? I see that the $5.00 wrist band includes the equipment. Does it cover googles,snorkle,fins and vests?

excitedcruiser - I think one of the best places to snorkel from shore in Cozumel is Dzul ha. we snorkeled there last year and it was excellent but brough our own equipment. I have been looking at a map of Cozumel to plan out my day for my trip this summer and it looks like UVA beach is close and may also have good snorkeling. Not sure if they rent equipment but I did read they have clear kayaks. Hope this helps.

I've been told that with the $5.00 wrist bank at Paradise, this will include your snorkle equipment. So I assumed that there is some snorkling at this beach. Just wanted to know how much is there to see?

Excitedcruiser - I have heard that you can swim there but there's really nothing to see. Check out this link to info about Cozumel beaches. It lists each beach and it's amenities - it also rates the snorkeling. This might help: http://www.cozumelinsider.com/Beaches

Here is another link with beach club info.... it rates the beaches by what you're looking for:

http://www.cozumelmycozumel.com/Pages/CozumelCruiseBeachClubs.htm

I went to Paradise Beach and would suggest that you try snorkeling on an excursion in Belize, if you ship stops at that port. That had many good reviews. My husband and I went out on the kayak and I dind't see any reefs to snorkel off of. It is a great beach to relax and swim for the day but if you want to mostly snorkel I would say to go somewhere else.

I didn't get into the water much, but don't think there's much to really SEE at PB when it comes to snorkeling. It's great though- very relaxing to just hang out, sun, eat, play in the water a bit etc.

We spent about $55 on food/drink etc including gratuity there.

Second the suggestion of Belize- we went there after Cozumel on the Elation and there was great snorkeling/reefs there.

Cozumel has some of the best snorkeling in the world. But Paradise beach is not one of the better places on the island (Chankanaab is not one of the better places either). Go to paradise beach if you want to lay in the sun on a nice sandy beach, play volleyball, drink and party.

If good snorkeling is important, then Dzul-Ha is a good place. Lots of fish and *live* coral and you can escape from the cruise crowds.

Dzul-Ha is the best shore snorkeling in Cozumel. Our snorkeling is more for beginners....here's a review from last year:

We were on the Carnival Triumph, just got back this morning. On Monday we were at Paradise Beach. WONDERFUL! There were at least 4 ships in port and no crowds at all. The beach is beautiful, bathrooms clean, service was great. The taxi's all know where it is so it's very easy to get too. We had 2 chairs and an umbrella and a nice table in between. We used the mats to float on. We also snorkled and for all you snorkel fans, it was way better than anticapated. If you snorkel out almost to the bouys, there are a couple of coral heads. They are not very big, but there was a lot of fish around them. The day had started out rainy and cloudy so the water was a litle stirred up and choppy but you could still see very well. I saw some of the biggest conch I've ever seen. We saw parrot fish, angel fish, blue tangs, lots of juveniles of different kinds, and a nice variety of other small fish. We shopped first so we didn't get there until around 1pm. Our server was fantastic. Tom, I wish I would have gotten his name! Anyway, if you are thinking of going, do it, you won't regret the decision. Next time we're in Cozumel, we're going back. The nachos were great! Our total bill was $33 and we had several drinks and the food. Can't beat that! I'll be glad to answer any questions.

My family and another couple are coming to Cozumel by cruise the week of 4/4/05. this is our first cruise along with our first visit to Cozumel.

We have seen alot of good reviews for Paradise Beach and would love to meet Tom he seem like a really neat person. Would like to bring him some chuncky soup......

The question that we have is being that it's our first visit should we visit paradise beach (which is man made) or Chankannar Park which has more of a natural look of cozumel.

I asking for opinions guys..help me out.

can't wait to get there and relax.....

I would go to Paradise first. If you decide you like it enough to stay the day, you've saved yourself the $12 entry fee per person at Chankanaab. As far as man-made vs natural, although the vegetation at Chankanaab is much more lush much of the beach is just sand that has been hauled in. Ironshore coastlines such as Chankanaab provide good snorkeling but do not naturally create a bed of sand to put chairs and palapas on. The small children's cove is the only natural beach at Chankanaab. Paradise on the other hand is a natural, gently sloping sandy beach. This makes it really boring for fish who prefer a rockier coastline like Chankanaab. So... natural, white sandy beach is at Paradise. Rocky coastline with good snorkeling and a large man made area of sand is what you'll find at Chankanaab.

Sally.

Thanks for responded we do really want to come to PB, Have heard alot of good things as far as the beach, food and staff.

We would really like to me Tom and you. You guys are truely neat people to put all your time in making sure people are getting information and assisitance with making their vacation the BEST.

I am new to cruisin and to this board and I am truely amaze at the use that it gets.

Sally I wrote an e-mail to Tom's Att: at Paradise beach web site. Will get e-mail from the website if it address to him.

My son (15) really would like to swim with the Dolphin's if we decide to go there first and then come spend the day at PB or the opposite do we have to pay the 12.00 fee just to watch him?

We are coming April 4th from Michigan is the weather/water normally warm this time of year?

Is there anything we can bring you or Tom from Michigan.

Can't wait to meet you guys and have some fun in the sun.....

Thanks again,

An email to Tom at Paradise Beach will eventually reach him. He is out of town for another week or so. He is posting from the chilly reaches of Canada, so rest assured he'll know you have him in mind.

April is definitely warm/hot here in Cozumel, no worries. If you go to Chankanaab to watch your son, yes, you do have to pay the $12 per person entry fee.

As for goodies, I'm always happy with a Ghiradelli dark chocolate bar!

Many thanks.

Has anyone ever done the rock climbing walls in Cozumel? Our cruise line, RCCL, is offering an excursion than seemed interesting. It states the excursion takes you to a climbing tower that is "the highest outdoor climbing structure in Mexico", and is good for everyone, those with no experience to those who are very experienced. Any reviews on this would be helpful. Also, are there any on-land tour operators who go to this area, and what are their websites, if any? The price for this through RCCL is $89.00, and I would like to check prices. Thanks for any and all feed back.

Dzul Ha sounds like a great place for snorkeling. We are traveling with our 2 children, ages 5 and 8. Both are experienced swimmers and snorkelers. I have noticed that on many of excursions for snorkeling, the minimum age is 8. Can anyone comment on how safe the water is for younger children (ie: strong currents or waves?)

Also, how did you transport to Dzul Ha and how far of a drive was it from the pier?

Was there a restaurant to get food and how expensive was it?

Thanks for any info.

Archived