Any other Zumba fans?

Anita Latte

I'm laughing about your clothing dilemma...Mom and I both call ourselves "wet rags" at the end of class...I've tried shorts for class but that didn't work for me, the legs would rub together with some of the moves (cumbia especially) and if the hem was in the wrong spot, the legs would creep up in the middle...I hated that...my preferred capri length is right below the knee.

I'm getting new clothes today!! My shipment should come today...I'm very excited.

I CAN tell you are excited too! It's wonderful!

I hadn't thought about the rubbing situation. I'll take the shorts next time, but I may be back to capris too.

I know yesterday was your busy day, but have you had time to look over the clothes shipment? Any keepers? Share your thoughts?;)

--Debbie

Just a quick note here...which could be long, because you know I talk FAST and luckily...my fingers can keep up...

Anyway...I got my new Zumba clothes yesterday. I realized that I just didn't have enough Zumba brand clothing for all the classes that I teach. I got two new pairs of cargos...the new Shout Out style in the purple...the older Marvelous style in the blue...and the new black shout out leggings...I really wanted the blue shout out leggings but they were sold out in my size...ah well...my choices were partly dictated by the new instructor shirts that were available (I got one of each, a teal/black and a purple/fuschia)...the "Let Go" shirt in lime green...I also got some of the new V style bras. AND the 3-pack of head bands! How much fun is that?

For those of you that read the EARTH and FIRE threads...you could be thinking...What in the world?...I did not buy my colors...it's just really rare to get my colors in Zumbawear so I don't even try...I just go for what I think is good (like the instructor tanks) or what I can afford (my first shirts that were on clearance) and go from there. It's all colorful and fun and since I turn bright red and sweat like mad, I don't worry about it. ;)

Anyway...I had a great class last night at Curves. I learned a bit more about the program there. Here's the deal...

If anyone goes to a typical Zumba class...the class will be non-stop, the music is just a going, get your water when you can, take the breaks you need...hopefully, your instructor has some unchoreographed "intros" to the songs that will allow you a little more time in between the songs...some more casual classes will break more in between...I have with my classes before...

At Curves, Zumba is supposed to be an integral part of the circuit that is used there. IF your Curves does not integrate Zumba into the circuit but does what my classes there do...and push the circuit out of the way and just focus on Zumba for 30 minutes or more...there is supposed to be a break in between each song...this break can or cannot be a moment of silence...but the instructor is required to enforce something of a break.

This was my bad last night!! I decided that we were going to do all familiar songs with NO BREAKS...I said I am playing the music and NOT pushing pause tonight...which is normal for many of you that take Zumba elsewhere...but it was novel for these ladies...and let me tell you how proud they were of the way the did! I did it well...and it was a great test for the way I'll be running my new corporate class.

Well...it's been a really busy day...a whole lot of laundry...cleaning bathrooms, cleaning kitchens...but stuff is getting done and I am pumped about that.

Hope everyone else is doing well!

OH! I found a new cool down song...I really like it, called American Honey by Lady Antebellum. I bought the iTunes Session version which has a little bit more of an acoustic sound.

Good evening all!

Dealcatcher posted a code today for two free songs from Amazon...

Follow this link:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/?t=dealcatcher&tag=dealcatcher&ie=UTF8&gcIsProcess=1&docId=1000296831

Enter this code:

FALLMP3S

I was already signed into my Amazon account, so I didn't have to sign in and I don't know when it would make you sign in. Now's your chance to get a couple free Zumba songs for at home use! (Or any ole two songs you want!;))

Hope everyone is doing well.

I'm doing ENDLESS laundry...:p

So, today I realized that I've been doing Zumba since the first of the year and with the big cruise break that I took in May... a total of 9 months of the year and a solid 4 months of doing Zumba at least 3x or 4x a week.

I have settled into my classes. I think I know pretty much most of the steps that the instructors will use... most of the arm movements. I've progressed to the point where I can throw a little "attitude" into my hip circles. I think I've come a long way in my confidence level in actually just being in a class.

There were several people in class this morning who are still in the throes of feeling more lost.. and also still having the joy of finding something that they LOVE to do that they can call exercise. I was reflecting that I don't feel that same intense feeling of just pure joy at finding something that I hope will be something I can stick with. I've come to the point where I know that I will stick with Zumba, and that I would miss it terribly if something happened and it was removed from my schedule. I guess I've truly settled in.

I don't know if I'll see much more change to my body. I've dropped some pounds and dropped some inches... and I feel very different. More flexible, in fact. I think I'm having even more fun in my classes because I can anticipate movement and steps and song length and class cardio build up and cool down.

Finding Zumba has been just great for me. A true positive experience. One of my instructors that I LOVED moved to Chicago; I will really miss him. All of my instructors are so different; there is no substitution. Most of my instructors are great and a few are simply awesome.

The weather has changed quite a bit. The blistering hot days aren't as frequent.. no long sleeves, yet... obviously no jackets or sweaters. But the days are getting shorter and it seems that the mood has shifted to more of a snuggle in, stay cozy type of feeling. It'll be fun to be doing Zumba in cooler weather!

First Corporate Class Next Week!

I've been pouring over my playlist and what in the world I am going to do for this 45 minute class. I finally got it figured out!

It's been a while since I've posted a playlist, so here it is:

Rain Over Me (feat. Marc Anthony) by Pitbull

Waka Waka (This Time for Africa) by Shakira

La Despedida by Daddy Yankee

La Vida Es Un Carnaval by Celia Cruz

Jai Ho from Slumdog Millionaire

Ari Ari [Part 2] by Bombay Rockers

Zoomer by Les Jumo

Rabiosa (feat. Pitbull) by Shakira

Stand by Me by Prince Royce

Chiquilla by Kumbia Kings

I Need to Know by Marc Anthony

American Honey (iTunes Session) by Lady Antebellum

Woot woot!

The only song on here that I haven't led in a class before is I Need to Know. This is my new cha cha because my other one (Sway) is way too girlie for a class with boys. I'm very excited!! And very glad to have this all figured out!

I think DH is going to let me lead him in a class tomorrow. It will be fun to see what happens with him trying to do Zumba moves for the first time. And should give me a good idea as to what to expect with the men in class. Fun!

Hope everyone is having a great weekend.

Ladies...

October is the official month for Breast Cancer Awareness.

There are all kinds of events going on all over the place trying to race money for various organizations. Zumba has teamed up with the Susan B Komen foundation. There are Party in Pink events being held all over the place. Go to Zumba.com to find an event near you. Proceeds from the event will benefit Susan B Komen.

ALSO...there is a song, "Historia" by Wyclef Jean...10% of all downloads on iTunes will be donated to the Susan B Koman foundation. Zumba instructors are being encouraged to download the song and use the song as a cooldown song in their classes for the month of October. I think the idea is to promote breast cancer awareness in our Zumba classes and also create more "like" for the song so that there is the possibility of more downloads.

If you are interested in seeing more:

Beto, the founder of Zumba, doing a cool down routine to Historia:

Behind the scenes in the making of Historia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_JQH7laOas

I am undecided as to whether I will change my playlist for my corporate class. I think I will add this to my Curves classes for sure. This is noteworthy, and if any of my ladies make it to our local PIP (Party in Pink) event, they will feel ahead of the game if they know this cooldown. :)

Just got home from my teaching my first back to back classes and my first corporate wellness class...OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!....SO FUN!!!!

I LOVE the set up for the corporate class...LOVE it! I haven't ever taught from on a stage and facing the class. I LOVED it. The response was very positive, so I think our first class was a hit.

I've got the shakes a bit here. I think I was running on some serious adrenaline and now I'm crashing a bit. I need to get some serious replenishing of food and energy. I've been battling something that is trying to make me sick...IDK what it is...I wake up with that horrible back of throat? And stinging nose? UGH.

So I've made myself a protein smoothie full of good stuff to help me out. I've been using coconut water to make them lately. I can't really tell that I've used it in terms of taste, and I haven't really used it long enough to know if it is making a huge difference, but mentally, it makes me feel good. LOL. One serving of coconut water is supposed to have 2X+ the amount of potassium in a banana.

I've finished that now...and now I need real food.

I still teach one more class today.

It turns out that I am only going to be doing this back to back class stuff this week. Kelly has taken another job and is moving on. You know, the possibility that she would do this is one of the reasons that I decided to get licensed. AND, I'm taking over her Monday and Wednesday night time slot. I hope that the ladies that are more in this area will continue to take the classes. I know a couple will be closer to where her new location is...so I understand them following her.

So now I'll be teaching *gasp* 7 classes a week! Since I have two classes on two days, I will have two days of rest. Friday and Sunday. Not too bad. We'll see how it goes!

So exciting! Hope everyone is doing well. :)

Just got home from my teaching my first back to back classes and my first corporate wellness class...OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!....SO FUN!!!!

I LOVE the set up for the corporate class...LOVE it! I haven't ever taught from on a stage and facing the class. I LOVED it. The response was very positive, so I think our first class was a hit.

Our instructor is on a small platform facing us.

I've got the shakes a bit here. I think I was running on some serious adrenaline and now I'm crashing a bit. I need to get some serious replenishing of food and energy. I've been battling something that is trying to make me sick...IDK what it is...I wake up with that horrible back of throat? And stinging nose? UGH.

So I've made myself a protein smoothie full of good stuff to help me out. I've been using coconut water to make them lately. I can't really tell that I've used it in terms of taste, and I haven't really used it long enough to know if it is making a huge difference, but mentally, it makes me feel good. LOL. One serving of coconut water is supposed to have 2X+ the amount of potassium in a banana.

I need to check into coconut water. Sounds wonderful.

It turns out that I am only going to be doing this back to back class stuff this week. Kelly has taken another job and is moving on. You know, the possibility that she would do this is one of the reasons that I decided to get licensed. AND, I'm taking over her Monday and Wednesday night time slot. I hope that the ladies that are more in this area will continue to take the classes. I know a couple will be closer to where her new location is...so I understand them following her.
I know you were very fond of Kelly. Are you ok with being Instructor Anita and no longer being Student/Instructor Anita?

So now I'll be teaching *gasp* 7 classes a week! Since I have two classes on two days, I will have two days of rest. Friday and Sunday. Not too bad. We'll see how it goes!
As long as you don't get too busy for us here, we'll "let" you do it. LOL We will just need to be sure to have our questions ready and waiting for your input when you are available.

So exciting! Hope everyone is doing well. :)
I know you are excited and happy with your recent events. Congratulations! When you are able to help others and in turn help yourself, it is a win-win, right?

Because it is fall break here, our Zumba class last night only included four people (a co-worker, bestest buddy and her daughter and myself) plus the instructor. At least I hope we haven't run off the ladies that made up the class before we started attending.

Bestest buddy and I will be out next week, so it will be interesting to see how many will be attending the week after. We will be sightseeing in the Smoky Mountains and it usually always involves lots of walking. It won't be Zumba, but it will be exercise.

I have worked out most of the variations that I need to do when others are waving their arms at shoulder level or above. I just take it down instead of up. I move more flat-footed because I don't jump. Heck, I don't even bounce much. But I still love Zumba.

My only wish is that she'd do more than two motions in a row. The first one she does, I'm trying to get my hands and feet going in the right direction, during the second one, I'm usually starting to catch up to her motions and the beat AND THEN......... SHE CHANGES TO SOMETHING ELSE!!! It's funny in a way, because I'm either behind, or wrongly anticipating the next move. But, I still love Zumba.

Some say, "no pain-no gain." I say, "no pain is my refrain." ;)

Our instructor is on a small platform facing us.

The stage I am on is a modular type create a platform. It's very big though. And has little steps to get up to it; I think it is 3 steps high off the ground? So really high feeling. It reminded me so much of when I used to be on the worship team in church. I'm using the same skills actually. Leading as much as getting people to participate in what you are doing.

I need to check into coconut water. Sounds wonderful.

I've read in multiple places and had many recommendations. With this crazy 3-class day, I'm really counting on it.

I know you were very fond of Kelly. Are you ok with being Instructor Anita and no longer being Student/Instructor Anita?

I'm good. Summer was a time where I really went to her class inconsistently. Just one of those things. And since school has started, I haven't gone to her class. I haven't been a student in over 8-weeks now. I think it's good. I needed to have a break from Kelly and have the opportunity to find my own way. To not have the influence, to find the songs that I really liked, and to do some things a little differently.

As long as you don't get too busy for us here, we'll "let" you do it. LOL We will just need to be sure to have our questions ready and waiting for your input when you are available.

I know you are excited and happy with your recent events. Congratulations! When you are able to help others and in turn help yourself, it is a win-win, right?

It is a win-win. I tell you. I was ON HIGH after that Celanese class. It was over the top fun. I LOVE being in a room with no mirrors. I thought I would hate it...but it is wonderful. No one is distracted or held back by what they look like. I only felt that there was one person that was self conscious in the room. I could see it all over her. Even the men though, OMG, SO FUN...they had a good time! And when I was returning the key to security, I saw one of the men...he told me he had a great time in my class and would definitely keep coming!

The key to the whole thing is to have an instructor that also willing to be a bit of entertainment up on the stage...if your instructor isn't a bit outrageous with booty moves (tastefully of course ;):rolleyes:) and a bit of shoulder shimmy and what not...then it's harder for the class to let loose...KWIM? I have no problems in the spot light (surprised?) and yet, my whole goal is just that, not to be a show off but to be an encouragement...I think my All-American girl next door look really helps me in that way...it's hard to not smile when goodie-two-shoes "Sandy" does a shimmy.

Because it is fall break here, our Zumba class last night only included four people (a co-worker, bestest buddy and her daughter and myself) plus the instructor. At least I hope we haven't run off the ladies that made up the class before we started attending.

Bestest buddy and I will be out next week, so it will be interesting to see how many will be attending the week after. We will be sightseeing in the Smoky Mountains and it usually always involves lots of walking. It won't be Zumba, but it will be exercise.

I have worked out most of the variations that I need to do when others are waving their arms at shoulder level or above. I just take it down instead of up. I move more flat-footed because I don't jump. Heck, I don't even bounce much. But I still love Zumba.

My only wish is that she'd do more than two motions in a row. The first one she does, I'm trying to get my hands and feet going in the right direction, during the second one, I'm usually starting to catch up to her motions and the beat AND THEN......... SHE CHANGES TO SOMETHING ELSE!!! It's funny in a way, because I'm either behind, or wrongly anticipating the next move. But, I still love Zumba.

Some say, "no pain-no gain." I say, "no pain is my refrain." ;)

I doubt you could run them off. In my experience, people usually enjoy it when there are more people in the class...especially when they are friendly people, just there to have fun...

I'm so glad you have figured out some modifications for yourself. WTG!

Is your instructor changing before the music changes? Instructors are a funny breed. I get to read a lot on the Zumba forum...and instructors seem to be constantly worried about being boring...and they don't understand that simple doesn't necessarily mean boring...BUT with that worry...she has probably put together some combinations for the different parts of the songs. They relate in a way that an instructor or dancer sees, coming from that viewpoint...but yes, it can be frustrating when you are trying to learn to have the move change suddenly. Just keep after it!

Hello to everyone!

Kasi...I hope you have had a lovely vacation. I'd have to read through the thread to try to figure out your exact dates, but I'm imagining that if you aren't already home, you will be soon. Let us know where you post any photos from your vaca as soon as you do...I'd love a virtual vacation and especially with your ports of call...I'd be so interested in your photos!

Donna...hope you have been feeling better and getting back into your routine. New clothes can be very motivating...don't keep a big safety net around. I think it is too easy to slip if you keep those bigger sizes in your closet...you think to yourself that the consequences of gaining back a couple pounds wouldn't be too bad since you have the clothes for it...so clean out the majority of what doesn't fit...only keep what you really have to as you replenish your wardrobe (I understand about expense, but you know what I'm saying?).

Debbie...I hope your camping weekend is fun. I think it's great that you get away on a regular basis. Do you own a cabin or something? Or do you have an RV or 5th wheel? Or do you camp in a tent? I love camping, so I'm curious as to what you mean when you say you go camping. This is the Monday that you miss class right?

Kim...I know you aren't doing Zumba, but you do Pilates? Do you take a class? Or are you one of those disciplined people that can do it at home?

Mom...I hope you can get into a class this week! I totally understand skipping the freebie day...it would just be chaos, and your classes are big enough, you don't really NEED to have to deal with all those extra people.

I'm in a very good mood this morning. Can you tell? Why, you ask?

Because I got on the scale this morning and I read the big 160!!! Or should I say LOW of 160! woot woot!! I am almost in the 150s!!! do dah do dah...

So the last time that I was working out and on a quest to be fit...back in 2006...I hit a low of 155, but maintained at 158 for about 3 or 4 months. Then the holidays began and all my hard work vanished because I had moved, lost my routine, and didn't get a new one. I was no longer exercising and started eating holiday food in abundance.

I'm so excited this morning because I see the future ahead and I see the ability to maintain any weight loss achieved. I think the recent increase in activity...especially the 3 classes in one day...served to be a great shock to the system and may have helped me to finally break through where I have been maintaining lately.

I hereby call a roll call check...what is your current schedule? If you don't have one...make one up...one that you can achieve...one that you WILL do...we will cheer each other on...

Here's mine:

Monday 6-7 pm

Tuesday 11:30-12:15; 5:30-6:15 pm

Wednesday 6-7 pm

Thursday 11:30-12:15; 5:30-6:00 pm

Saturday 9:30-10:30 am

My rest days are Friday and Sunday. In theory, I really love this schedule. I think it is doable. The days I have two classes, the two classes are under one hour...and the last class of the week on the double days is only 30 minutes.

My concern these days is focusing on food. I admit that we were eating out too much AGAIN. :o:( Last week though, I was worried about my energy level, knowing that I needed to be well fueled for the task at hand, so we did much better.

Here's the deal...and I think I've talked about this before. When you get in a habit of eating out, it seems easy enough to do. BUT...when you get in the habit of eating in, you realize that eating out is a PITA!! For my family, the key is to cook A LOT whenever you cook. Leftovers are ESSENTIAL. You need them for easy dinners and easy lunches. You have to do it in proportion to what you can eat for your size household...but seriously...if you are going to cook and have to clean up that mess...make it worth your while to have done so.

Soup season is upon us...as I sit, I am watching the lovely RAIN pour down...FINALLY...no tennis today. We will be holed up watching football and playing on computers today. I LOVE soup and have many different recipes. Here's what I made last week:

http://fortunavirilis.blogspot.com/2009/11/lentil-sausage-and-spinach-soup-recipe.html

This recipe is a one half recipe of the original in the cookbook. I like to use a turkey or chicken sausage. I also like them on the spicy side.

I have also used KALE in place of the spinach and I admit that I like that better if I know that I am going to be using leftovers. Baby spinach is easy (because it is usually sold prewashed and ready to eat, even though we read you are supposed to wash it again anyway...) BUT because the baby spinach is so tender, it doesn't hold up as well for leftovers. Use thicker older spinach leaves for leftovers...or use any other more hearty green...I like kale, chollards, etc. The thicker greens also add a bit more bite to the soup.

This is a hearty one dish meal. Bread is a traditional side with soup, but if you want a different carb...try some baked yams or sweet potatoes. Mom has the best way to cook those. Please share Mom, because I forgot how high to set the oven for at first. And I have yams that I want to cook today. :)

If anyone else had a great idea for a side with soup, please share. Soup is easy to cook in bulk and eat for lunches and easy dinners...but sometimes I am at a loss for a good side dish, especially in the winter. Green salads are good too, but anything else?

Hope everyone is doing well!

... are so easy.

Wash the yams thoroughly. Prick the skins to allow for steam to escape, otherwise they can explode in the oven. Rub the skins with olive oil. Sprinkle with sea salt. Wrap in foil. Place in 375 oven for about 40 mins. Turn off oven but leave yams in. When you can safely handle the foil, grab from oven. They will be perfectly cooked. Yummy, yummy, yummy.

Let's see. My schedule that I usually do:

Tuesday morning: 10:00am - 11:00am and depending upon the instructor that is scheduled

Tuesday evening: 5:30pm - 6:30pm

I do two on Tuesday because there are no classes scheduled on Wednesday.

Thursday moning: 9:15am - 10:15am

maybe... Thursday evening: 5:30pm - 6:30pm

Friday morning: 9:30am - 10:30am

Saturday morning: 9:15am - 10:15am

Sunday morning: 8:30am - 9:30am; this is a maybe.

I already shared with Anita my incredible weight gain on a recent road trip. I will go ahead and share with everyone here because of the idea of eating out and how it can be absolutely easy to slip into a weight gain because of it.

Here's my saga. When we left the house on Monday morning, weight 141.8

Monday breakfast: oatmeal, latte (beginning of the trip: meal at home)

Monday lunch: Famous Dave's combo platter of ribs & brisket, corn muffin, 1/2 ear of corn, potato salad, tea

Monday dinner: popcorn, chips/salsa, white wine (still full from lunch)

Tuesday breakfast: pancake, 2 eggs, bacon, coffee with cream

Tuesday lunch: BLT on sourdough bread, chili with cheese & onions, tea

Tuesday dinner: PF Chang's. Special: egg flower soup, lettuce wraps, beef with broccoli, honey chicken, brown rice, tangerine tea, glass of wine at Embassy

Wednesday breakfast: pancakes, sausage, coffee with cream

Wednesday lunch: Panera chicken chipotle panini, chai latte

Wednesday dinner: 2 glasses of white wine, date salad (arugula, walnuts, dates, pomegranate vinegarette), lamb shank on butternut squash risotto

Thursday breakfast: pancake, spinach/peppers/onion omelet, coffee with cream

Thursday lunch: Famous Dave's BBQ hamburger (what a burger! OMG. So good.. but, ground sirloin, burnt tips, 2 slices of jalepeno smoked bacon), a little of the potato salad but couldn't eat much, tea

Thursday dinner: water, water, water (arrival at home; all meals listed above were eaten at hotel receptions, hotel buffets for breakfast, restaurants)

Friday morning weight: 147.4

Todays weight: 144. So I know that all of that is a weight gain that can be attributed to salt intake, dehydration, etc. But, I also know that if I continued that pattern of behavior that the weight would become permanent. I haven't gone to class because I've been a little tired from the trip. Plus, as Anita mentioned, the gym had a bring-a-friend-for-free and a free-kid's-club weekend. So, I know that it was packed. My regular schedule begins on Tuesday... well, actually tomorrow but tomorrow isn't an exercise day. My eating schedule has already resumed to a normal food intake level and eating at home.

Hi Anita and all of you,

we returned home late monday evening. But as I managed to dislocate a vertebra in my upper back right on our last morning on board, I have not been at the computer much. Actually I kinda hoped it would relocate itself, however I had to see a doctor on thursday and went down with a fever on friday, propably some bug I caught on the flight home...

Anyways, today I´m feeling better, still a little sore in the back, but nowhere as bad as it was.

So here is my first attempt to write a vacation recap, pictures will have to follow during the next few days as I have not yet managed to view all of them.

Here we go:

My father took us to the airport early in the morning an tuesday 20th. I was excited as I always am when going on vaction with butterlies in my stomach. I don´t calm down before we are on the plane heading to whereever we go... With a stop in Munich we arrived in Rome close to noon. Once we recerived our luggage (which can take forever in Rome), we were able to drop it off with a representatiove of RCCL right their at baggage clain and head for the bus that took us to civitavecchia. Embarcation went smooth and we were onboard in no time at all. As it was already past one pm we headed to our stateroom, which was located on deck 7 midship, dropped our carryon and went to the windjammer to grab a bite to eat. Drinking ice water is not what we are used to in Germany, however as RCCl charges an arm and a leg for bottled water we decided to give it a try. Lunch was quick and crowded. Afterwards I showed DH around the ship and at dinner we met our companions for the next 13 days, or not. It turned out we were seated at a place for 6 however the other two couples never turned up... We were able to change our seating to the next table, where two couples shared a table for 8...

As our first cruise day was a day at sea we decided to sleep in. Turned out we were not the only ones thinking of that so breakfast took place in a crowded buffet, which has much more tables in it than aboard Voyager ots, so that it was hard to navigate in the back when all places were taken... Breakfast was ok, especially as I found my favorite cruise food, pancakes, with or withour fruit in them, whipped cream and strawberry sauce. The apple juice was undrinkable and the offered orange juice was watered down so that sometimes you just received orange-colored water...

The meet and mingle took place in the dragon´s lair as our group was to big to meet at elingtons lounge. We met some people I got to know online and talked a bit. The afternoon was spent on deck and I took a first swimming session in the pool.

I actually manged to go swimming every day except after Jerusalem, where I was just to tired to move...

Ok, I´m going to cut this a little short, or I´ll be telling you every detail of this cruise.

Workout wise:

I went to the gym twice,

took two turn on the climbing wall without reaching the top as I did not have enough power in my legs at the crucial part.

and I took the stairs going everywhere at least 75 per cent of the time if not more, at the elevators were unpredictable. I attended aqua aerobic on two sea days.

Our ports were interesting and the weather all we could have hoped for.

Our first port: Chania on the isle of Crete in Greece. We just went down to the dock, bought tickets for the local shuttle at 3 euro p.p. and headed to town. It´s a nice, touristy place and we wandered around town and the old harbor, drank a coffee before heading back to the ship in the early afternoon.

On Rhodes we docked right in rhodes town, where we again strolled into town. As there were multiple cruisehips in port we took the first possible back road to get out of the crowd. We wandered around town, went down into the moat and followed the paths down to the harbor where we bought some non-alcoholic drinks and headed back.

In Ashdod there were more than 50 coaches waiting by the dock and we were so glad we had booked a mini tour of 16 people. Our group was small enough to navigate in the narrow street of jerusalem and all people managed to be on-time at every stop we made. We got to the mount of olives, visited the place of last supper, king david´s grave, the church of the holy sepulcher, parts of the via dolorosa and the western (wailing) wall. Afterwards we headed to Qumran for a snack before continuing to the Dead Sea for some relaxation in the salty water. It´s quite funny to just lie back and floating around :) Souvenirs where incredible expensive and dead sea salt products were charged more that at home so we did not buy any.

The day after that we were in Haifa, which we visited at a more leisurable pace. We visited the Bahia Gardens and strolled around town.

Our port in Turkey was Kusadasi. We had booked a private tour with a german speaking guide ahead of time and were so glad we did. We were met at the port a few minutes before 8 and headed to ephesus right away. As a group of 3 we were able to navigate the ruins without being interrupted by the large groups, as there were more cruiseships in Izmir and Kusadasi that day. We got to see the Terrace Houses, an excavation of 7 houses where mosaics, wall paintings and even parts of a marmor hall are preserved till today. We walked past the celsius library, the third biggets library of the ancient world and went into the theatre which offerd place for 25000 people. Afterwards we were shown to a leather showroom where I could not resist and bought a jacket and afterwards to a pottery, which was nice to see but held nothing of interest to us. Our last stop was at the ruins of the temple of artemis before heading back to port. As it was really hot in turkey we were glad to spent the remaing afternoon relaxing in the shade at the solarium pool.

Our day in piraeus was one of the less impressive stops of this cruise. As we had never been to athens before we opted for the hop-on-hop-off bus to take us in and around town, had lunch at the hard rock cafe and visited the ruins of the zeus temple before heading back to port. Athens seemed quite dirty and the ruins not as well preserved as one is used to in other parts of the Med.

Palermo in Sicily, Italy, was by far the stop I don´t intend to repeat. What we got to the of the town were run-down buildings and dirty streets. If I ever stop there again I´ll either opt to stay onboard or venture into the surrounding area.

Naples was our last port of call. We were there on sunday so the city was crowded not only with convetial tourists, cruise tourists but with locals as well. We again took a hop-on-hop-off bus which runs on 4 different routes and took two off them in bright sunshine. We were hot when we stepped of the buses a few hours later, grabbed a bite and headed back on board to relax for the last time before heading back to civitavecchia.

What we did on board?

Well, apart from the above mentioned workout, we relaxed in the shade of the solarium pool, dh enjoyed visiting the peek-a-boo bridge. We used a few of the bars, took pictures around the ship and when the sunshine was too bright on our balcony we headed down to deck 4 where you could sit outside in the shade reading or just viewing the water. We visited the ice show, tried the cinema and left after a couple of minutes, and went to the theatre a few times, hoewver the only show we stayed for was the mariner of the seas production. The other show acts were kind of lame and did not appeal to us.

Ok I´ll post some pictures in the next few days.

Take care ladies.

Ooo Kasi...I was LOVING the detailed description of your cruise! But I understand that to continue retelling would take forever, but please, when you post your photos, elaborate to your heart's content as I was finding it such an interesting read.

Sounds like you had a wonderful trip! I can't wait to hear more about it.

I am so sorry to hear about how you dislocated a vertebra a you back. :eek: I'm sorry it happened at all but at least it happened at the beginning. I'm glad you are feeling better. I hope you continue to recover and heal quickly. Cyber hugs.

Oh...just saw your new post...congrats on basically maintaining your weight during your vaca!

Kasi,

So love the detailed description of your cruise. Waiting patiently for some more... you know that Anita and I are going on the Mariner OTS in March next year, so we are very, very interested in your cruise! I could just picture you onboard while reading your memories.

Today I stepped on the scale and I'm back to my pre-trip weigh-in number. Weird. I guess that restaurants using so much seasoning (translation: salt) in the food really does a number on the scale.

Today is also the first Zumba class post-trip! I didn't really miss that much. Let's see. My last Zumba class was on Saturday, so I missed Tuesday/Thursday/Friday/Saturday.... wow, I guess it does add up. We'll see how I feel during class :eek:

I only have 16 days until my trip to Boston. My life will be filled with Zumba and figuring out what to pack in the next few weeks!

Well...I think I just finished telling everyone who would listen that I was happy with my schedule as is and didn't see any changes in the forseeable future...

And then I got a phone call this morning from Curves...

And now I have another Curves class on my schedule. :rolleyes:

Monday morning for 30 minutes.

It's all good.

I will say that I had the most horrible experience with my pants last night. Breaking through the last lost pounds had a very detrimental effect on the ability of my pants to stay up. :eek: It was very embarrassing.

Fortunately, there was a big mix up in the schedule and almost the entire Monday night class thought that Monday night was canceled. The only ladies in attendance were my students that switched from the morning class (2) AND a newbie. So the newbie got a good deal! And she is feeling way more confident about coming to the class. Which is EXCELLENT.

And I was pretty happy to have the small class for leading 3 songs for the first time.

I'm doing the following routine to Sexy and I Know It (LMFAO):

LOVE IT!!!

And I added this merengue routine, Tu Angelito (Chino Y Nacho):

And the Take Me to Rio song is my own choreography, so no video at this time. :)

I'm in a very good mood this morning. Can you tell? Why, you ask?

Because I got on the scale this morning and I read the big 160!!! Or should I say LOW of 160! woot woot!! I am almost in the 150s!!! do dah do dah...

So the last time that I was working out and on a quest to be fit...back in 2006...I hit a low of 155, but maintained at 158 for about 3 or 4 months. Then the holidays began and all my hard work vanished because I had moved, lost my routine, and didn't get a new one. I was no longer exercising and started eating holiday food in abundance.

I'm so excited this morning because I see the future ahead and I see the ability to maintain any weight loss achieved. I think the recent increase in activity...especially the 3 classes in one day...served to be a great shock to the system and may have helped me to finally break through where I have been maintaining lately.

A great B I G ATTA GIRL!!!! It's really gratifying when you reach a milestone, isn't it? Keep up the good work--you are one hot chicka :)

Kim...I know you aren't doing Zumba, but you do Pilates? Do you take a class? Or are you one of those disciplined people that can do it at home?

Psssshhhh, do it at home???? I used to be disciplined like that but, that discipline went out the window and flew away! I take a 1 hour class twice a week. I really enjoy it and it's a lot of fun. I love the instructor and the people in the class are really fun too. My goal is to look like the gals in the Athleta ad magazine :D:D:D:D

Kim,

I LOVE the Athleta magazine. I ordered a dress in swimsuit fabric from them in Garden Green (LOL). At the risk of worlds colliding again! But that particular dress is going with me on catamaran shore excursions and I think it will be wonderful. I love just flipping thru that magazine... wait... it's a catalog! :D But I agree with you... it reads like an ad magazine!

So I went to my Zumba schedule yesterday... and.... I didn't almost die... but, again, I almost died! Wow. It's amazing how fast your body can adjust from NOT doing Zumba. Holy cow. Cardio is something else; you really, really have to use it not to lose it. Strength training was different; I could miss almost 2 weeks of strength training and get back into the gym and literally do my exact routine with little to no difficulty. But yesterday's Zumba... completely different story.

But I did go. I glanced at the clock probably 3x in class, which is something that I never do. I had to stop using my arms and just move my feet with my hands on my hips instead of waving above my head! I had to stand on the sidelines.... well I didn't have to stand on the sidelines but I went over there to get a drink and the music started and I just stood there... like in a total daze or something... for about a minute. The songs were so FAST yesterday. LOL.

The reason that was funny is that I told Anita about a Zumba instructor who was so FAST and one of those gold medal instructors that you pat yourself on your back when you finish one of THEIR classes... kwim?... anyway, Anita was putting a playlist together and I went back and listened to a class that I had recorded from Tony... guess what?... he wasn't so FAST; it's just that, at the time I went to one of his classes, I wasn't able to keep up! Now I thought I'd go back to one of his classes, but (guess what?) NOT until I get back from my cruise. Gasping air yesterday, big time!

I'm so thankful that for my cruise in March that I've decided to take my personal Zumba instructor along. I feel all warm, fuzzy, and totally protected in my Zumba endeavors! :D

So I have a sad story to share.. not my sad story, but I had to be the bearer of really, really bad news to a person in class yesterday. There is an instructor named Teddy that everybody adores... loves the class because it's so much FUN. On the scale of FUN... 10++... on the scale of core exercises?.. maybe 6... on the scale of exertion... 9, 10-ish... so a very FUN class. About 2 weeks ago, Teddy took a job in Chicago. I didn't go to his last class but I understand that it was pretty teary. Anyway, yesterday there was a girl in class who didn't know that Teddy was no longer going to be our instructor. Unfortunately, I was the one that told her. She has the most beautful, big blue eyes... and I watched them fill with tears. She was devastated.. so much so that she left Zumba after the first few notes of the first song. I felt so sorry for her, but also I thought... people you canNOT be so attached to your instructor that it affects your own health and exercise program.... seriously...

Except me, of course. I can be attached to MY Zumba instructor, but that's different....:D Maybe I don't get so attached to the Zumba instructors that I go to because there are so many of them? I, obviously, have preferences among them... but at the end of the day... it's exercise. You gotta take care of yourself.

So glad that it's a rest day for me. Tomorrow, I hit it again...

Oh Pam,

seeing your cruiseclock countdown does make me wish for another cruise :)

Care to share some details as to where you go or what you have planned?

I treated myself to something new yesterday. My bike was close to 23 years old and doing my grocery shopping yesterday morning I stumpeld upon a bargain at the store. They had reduced their bikes by more than 50 per cent. So I took my time, thinking about it all afternoon and returning to the store in the evening... Now I own a brandnew city-bike that I will take out for a testrun today :) Really looking forward to that. Just thought I share my joy.

Happy Sunday to all of you.

Kasi, how was your bike ride? What a great treat! I used to love to ride my bike, but I lost that habit. I tried to get it back a bit after college, but it didn't really happen. We still need to teach DS how to ride. We got the bike over the summer, but somehow, we just never made the time. And now he's a bit embarrassed to learn because he is older and thinks he should already know how to ride. And the learning process could be embarrassing. :rolleyes:

I purchased new shoes yesterday. I purchased online so I have to wait. I blew two holes in my last pair. The holes are at the pinky toe area, so I think I need a shoe with better lateral support. I read some good things about a couple Nike shoes. They are actually crosstrainer style shoes with a funny sole that has diamond shaped grooves all in it. The grooves are supposed to supply a great freedom in movement. And the crosstrainers have all the different supports, so we'll see. I think they'll come tomorrow. I don't think you can start a shipment on Sunday. I'm excited!

Meanwhile...I am trying so hard to get my life organized. The way my class schedule has gotten all spread out means that my time feels a bit disjointed. I don't have the big blocks of empty time that I had before. So I really need to know what needs to be done and have plans in place and an ease of use about the house for getting things done.

It sounds silly, but I've been doing things like clearing out and cleaning out sock drawers. Just to make little things like putting away clean laundry easier to do.

With all my focus on household chores, I've been fasting time on the computer. I get sucked into the World Wide Waste of time in a horribly addictive way. I'm trying to regulate when I actually get on the computer and how much time I spend on it. So far so good. And I'm ALMOST caught up on laundry! LOL.

Meanwhile...I hope all is going well for everyone. I'm teaching tonight. I had two new ladies come to my Saturday morning class. I know at least one is going to enroll in the evening classes also. We'll see if more of Kelly's class comes back this week. I'm doing a new salsa and a new cumbia this week. I'm doing it tonight and in my corporate class. Not sure about my Curves class.

Salome. This is actually a Zumba routine. And these ladies are having so much fun. LOVE IT:

Cumbia Poder. This is Beto. I am using his choreography:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yLUXOskPq8

Salome is fun, we´ve been doing that one for a few month now.

I was back in class yesterday.

In the 4 weeks break that I took, Annie changed lots of songs. Actually, I knew about half the songs and routines and everything else was new. Well, I´m kinda sore today *lol*

I decided to take it slow and attend 3 classes this first week and increase bit by bit.

I discovered today, that the public pool finally is open for everyone again on Mondays, so maybe I´ll switch a Zumba class for an evening of swimming now and again. I enjoyed swimming onboard so much...

Salome IS fun...that video is the ZIN routine given to the instructors. I absolutely LOVE that video. Those ladies are having such fun. And they are all a bit different in the way they move. I love it so much.

It's a good soreness right? I think sometimes feeling sore feels good. It feels good to know that you pushed the limits of your body a bit. I actually received a sort of complement about that this evening. There is a student that started taking Kelly's class the same time I did. She was inconsistent in going. Didn't attend all the sessions. Well she came back. And today, she said, she didn't know WHAT we did on Wednesday...but Thursday...she was SORE. And she has never once been sore from a Zumba class! I thought that was pretty cool actually.