Any other Zumba fans?

Anita Latte

It just seems like not that long ago that I had so many Zumba classes from which to choose... a wealth of excellent Zumba! Then, the powers that be from the great beyond of frustration to gym members decided that they would (a) fire one of my most favorite Zumba instructors because her class size was smaller than they wanted and (b) re-arrange the schedule so that classes started an hour later on Thursday night and © re-arrange the schedule so that instructors that I loved would be teaching at a gym that was miles and miles away from me and (d) replace those instructors with young, enthusiastic, but making up in exuberance what they lacked in knowledge type instructors. The end result is that I have TWO Zumba classes that I can attend that I love. I've gone from SEVEN that I could go to... to TWO... and they are on Tuesday night at 5:30pm and Sunday morning at 10:30am. Wow. Sunday morning... wait for a break of 1-1/2 days for a Tuesday night... then wait for 4-1/2 days for another class! It's really depressing.

So, instead of just being enthusiastic to at least go to those 2x a week, I end up talking myself out of even going to them.. about 1/2 the time. Why is that? It's either ALL or NOTHING; I just have this absurd character flaw. I don't get it; but I'm going to have to work on it because I can "feel" the difference.

So, tonight is one of the Zumba classes that I love to go to; and I'm going, despite the heat and all the other really, really good excuses that I can come up with. And I've come up with a bunch... but I'm self-talking my way into going to the class. Good grief.

It just seems like not that long ago that I had so many Zumba classes from which to choose... a wealth of excellent Zumba! Then, the powers that be from the great beyond of frustration to gym members decided that they would (a) fire one of my most favorite Zumba instructors because her class size was smaller than they wanted and (b) re-arrange the schedule so that classes started an hour later on Thursday night and © re-arrange the schedule so that instructors that I loved would be teaching at a gym that was miles and miles away from me and (d) replace those instructors with young, enthusiastic, but making up in exuberance what they lacked in knowledge type instructors. The end result is that I have TWO Zumba classes that I can attend that I love. I've gone from SEVEN that I could go to... to TWO... and they are on Tuesday night at 5:30pm and Sunday morning at 10:30am. Wow. Sunday morning... wait for a break of 1-1/2 days for a Tuesday night... then wait for 4-1/2 days for another class! It's really depressing.

So, instead of just being enthusiastic to at least go to those 2x a week, I end up talking myself out of even going to them.. about 1/2 the time. Why is that? It's either ALL or NOTHING; I just have this absurd character flaw. I don't get it; but I'm going to have to work on it because I can "feel" the difference.

So, tonight is one of the Zumba classes that I love to go to; and I'm going, despite the heat and all the other really, really good excuses that I can come up with. And I've come up with a bunch... but I'm self-talking my way into going to the class. Good grief.

I know how you feel. My Thurs. class is now being taught by the Saturday instructor that I don't care for and at least for a while there is no Sat. Class until the owner of the gym finds a replacement. So I am forced to go to the Monday class that is later than I like and then again on Tues. so 2 days in a row then having to wait almost a week to go again. I'm going to look at a Thurs. class on my way home from work on Thurs. to try to even it out.

So I woke up at 4 AM on Tuesday with a sore throat that w as BEYOND sore. I have a pretty high pain tolerance but this was incredible. I couldn't get back to sleep. I would have given anything to not have to teach class that morning...so I put together a playlist that I knew I could do.

I decided to add the one Austin Powers Toning song that choreographed. I wanted the chance to lead a toning song...so I snuck it in after my highest intensity song. I like to do that...put in an arm intensive song after a high cardio. It's like a fake low interval song...easy footwork gives the body a break while the intense arms keeps the heart rate up. I think it went over very well.

The adrenaline from class kept me going through coffee with ladies afterward. I had a smoothie though...and then I went home and crashed. I woke up at 2:30 with 102 fever...called DH and he's been home with me ever since. We went to the doc yesterday and it appears that I have a bacterial infection. I was negative to strep but doc said that could be a false negative. I'm on antibiotics again and some serious pain killers.

Sigh.

The doctor wants me to take an allergy test after I'm better to verify that I am allergic to penicillin. Apparently I could have issues in the future. I thought I remembered the name of an antibiotic that I'd been given in college (the last time I needed antibiotics before this year) and doc said it was from the penicillin family, which makes no sense that they would give it to me because I always share my allergy...but I didn't have a reaction. The doc thought that I was told by my Mom that I had a reaction...but I said, um, no, I totally remember it. I don't think that he understood that I was like 6 years old the first time I needed antibiotics? Do other people's memories not start then? I have a few from before...but mostly first grade onward...

And I guess it's rare that someone doesn't have antibiotics often?

Whatever. His concern was enough that he wanted me take an allergy test for it to verify because it could help with future prescriptions. Fine. I wouldn't mind knowing some other food related allergies too...

Margaret...I'm so happy your sub improved! I know that Mom suffered with one sub and surprisingly enough when she ended up in her class again months later she was another turn around. You have to hope that the teachers get feedback and if they care, they take it seriously and become better teachers.

Toning is different. I don't think you can REPLACE Zumba with Toning. It needs to be an add-on. Combo classes have been the most successful from what I understand. Like 30 minutes of Zumba Toning and 30 minutes of Zumba.

Ferguson...I hope you can find a good Thursday night Zumba!

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I was having my one-year Zumba anniversary in May, but I looked back and I actually started in March 2012. Since I started, I've lost almost 25 pounds and I'm now a size 12. It is a joy to shop in any store and find something that fits!

Yesterday was my first waterski of the season, and it was so much easier since I'm stronger and lighter. I'm looking forward to an awesome ski season this summer.

Thank you Zumba!

Happy Belated Zumba Anniversary Margaret! Yay for you!! I think it's a great accomplishment!

SO. Time for an update.

What is everyone's current Zumba/activity schedule?

I am finished covering the church class on Tuesday mornings. That instructor has finished her 6-week recovery and will be back tomorrow. However, my 8-week cover of a Tuesday/Thursday evening class begins tomorrow!

So I'm definitely doing Zumba 2X weekly on Tuesday and Thursday nights.

I have to decide if I'm going to ALSO attend on Tuesday morning. That instructor asked me to be her weight loss accountability partner. This, combined with the fact that I know so many ladies in the class, makes me want to push it a bit and still go to this morning class...even though it would be a doubler day.

I happen to be going to a class tonight. I'm going to the instructor that I am covering for this summer...one of her classes in a different location. It's way too far for me to think about going to regularly, but she invited me to come, and she leaves tomorrow for Mexico and I AM curious to see what a full class of hers is like. It's free. Many reasons. I'm going tonight.

I think I will only regularly attend classes on Tuesday/Thursday. I'll pick another day or two to work on new choreography for both Basic and Toning.

I have plans for exercising with DS this summer. We plan to walk a lot of trails in the various parks around here. Also, I want to get him working on some resistance training using body weight...doing things like plank and other exercises that I learned in my Pilates class...and some Yoga poses, too. I can best describe DS as a great frame just waiting for some muscle...gonna see if I can stimulate some muscle definition on him.

And, of course, we'll be swimming. We went to one of the Brits houses last Friday for a pool party/picnic. I'm happy to share that I got over myself...put on my big girl swim suit...sighed over the fact that I couldn't fit into my new super cute suit that I bought last summer...decided to ignore my not-so-lovely cottage cheese legs resulting from my just over 20 pound weight regain...and thoroughly enjoyed the pool picnic.

Bucket list for the summer physical activity includes doing the following at least once:

1. Kayaking (first time!)

2. Tubing (first time!)

3. Canoeing

4. Overnight Camping

5. Backyard Party with Badminton, Table Tennis, and Bocce Ball.

6. Disney walking! (hopefully!)

7. Beach trip

How about everyone else?

I am still bouncing around the week with my schedule. I want to go 3 times a week during the summer but am finding it difficult without a lot of travel. For instance last week the owner of the gym didn't know if she had a sub for Thursday night so I went Tues. and Wed. I don't like going 2 nights in a row but didn't want to risk no sub on Thurs. and since there wasn't class on Monday because of the holiday I was stuck going twice in a row. This week I'm doing Monday night (this may be discontinued due to lack of interest soon), Tues. night and hopefully there is a sub for Thurs. so will go that night too. This summer I'm doomed to be stuck going Tues., Wed., Thurs. if I want 3 times or skipping Wed. and traveling on a Saturday or Sunday to do it in another town.

I've been going on Wednesdays and Saturdays, or sometimes Sundays depending on my schedule. Then I also do two or three gym days (weights and biking).

Now that summer is here I'll be skiing on the weekends, so I'm going to switch Zumba to Tuesday and Thursday nights, and do gym days Monday and Wednesday. I'm hoping to do some biking or swimming on Fridays. Plus, I have a few special treats I'd like to fit in during summer break: biking around Governors Island, and walking the High Line (an elevated park here).

Alrighty!

So we are all going to Zumba on Tuesday nights!

Did you start that new schedule last night Margaret?

I taught my first cover class at the pole dancing studio last night. It was challenging. The room atmosphere is really great...that club kind of atmosphere, dark with black lighting, a disco strobe light...but man oh man...it was very difficult to cue in the room. Because the room is set up for pole dancing, I can't really use the stage...because there's a big pole right in the middle of it. And the wall with mirrors is like a side wall for the pole class...and so there's a bench down the majority of it...which means you can't see feet in the mirror. The one student that stood directly behind me had an easier time than the student that stood off to the side...especially since the student off to the side was doing her first Zumba class ever.

OMG...the class after Zumba is Stiletto Dancing. :eek: It's in a different room. The ladies all wear SICK high heels. And I guess they learn choreo to one song during the course of a class. OMG. I was looking at their shoes and thinking to myself. No way. No way does that look fun to me AT ALL.

The Church Instructor and I are weight loss accountability partners. We each had to figure out a form of "punishment" if you break any of your "rules." Her punishment is having to do 30 minutes on that stair machine? The kind that actually looks like stairs? Mine is having to go to the Boot Camp class at the church. Seriously...Stiletto Dancing could be a punishment for me. Maybe even more of a deterrent than Boot Camp. OMG. I still can't get over the shoes they were wearing!

I did go to the instructor's class Monday night in that other location. What a great location! The room is AWESOME! And I got to see the other instructor's class from start to finish for the first and only time...and I'm very excited about this instructor...we have very similar music taste (we both do several of the same songs...different routines though!). I went to her class and I was like...ahhh....ZUMBA!!!!

And it turns out that the cover she got for that class (HER instructor that inspired her to get licensed) can do every Monday EXCEPT NEXT Monday...so I'm going to cover the Monday night class next week!

I also went back to the church class yesterday morning. I wanted to support the instructor in her first day back after surgery. Oh man. Do NOT like her music. I was reminded of WHY I stopped going to her class on Tuesday mornings. But I was very glad that I went yesterday. I was starting to hand her money when she said that until I got my own class, I could come to her class for free. And then, since her Mom, who normally helps her with the check in was still out of town, she asked if I would help with that. I did.

So I've been to 3 Zumba classes in the past 2 days!

Funny enough...my trapezius muscles are what hurt the worst. :confused:

Today...going to walk a trail with DS after breakfast. There's a great national park nearby that is free admission. There are supposed to be over 17 miles of trails in the park. I have walked several of the trails. I'm going to make a project out of hiking all of the trails with DS this summer. Starts today.

Still looking for new warm up music. I like my current combo...BUT...I was observing the Monday ladies...and I could see that they enjoyed the popular music at the beginning and end of class. Her first warm up was a Rhianna song...I think it's called Only Girl in the World. She did dynamic stretching to that song. I've never experienced a warm up the way she did it. Literally, she started with the neck. Look up and down on every other beat. Then every beat. Look side to side on every other beat. Then every beat. Tilt your head side to side on every other beat. Then every beat. Now shoulders. Almost no foot work. I didn't care for the leg stretching because I saw so many heads go below heart level. I know we didn't have our blood pumping, but I have such low blood pressure...I can't do that. I can't stand from a lying down position...I have to sit in the middle and pause.

Her second song was the more typical get started moving song. I can't remember what it was...but I think it was a popular song. Then she did Limbo by Daddy Yankee.

Then she did a Merengue that I don't know.

Then I think she did a Cumbia that I don't know.

At some point, she did

by Kat Deluna (Squat dance)

by Flo Rida (Ab dance)

Waka Waka by Shakira (which she had me lead by urging me up to the stage so everyone could get a taste of my teaching)

Wepa by Gloria Estefan

Some song with a more kick boxing kind of move that Kelly did to Jai Ho.

The end of the class started with a partner dance. She had everyone get a partner and we faced our partner to do a Bachata based dance to Tequilla.

Then we did that one song that we talked about MONTHS ago...

by Michel Telo. She did the official dance to the song.

This was followed by a spanish version of the song Achy Breaky Heart, "

" by Caballo Dorado. She did the line dance to the song.

Her last song was stretching to

by The Wanted.

Please excuse me while I try to remember this...I probably should have done this Monday night...oh well...I'm just trying to get a feel for what she did.

So her playlist had 14 songs. But it wasn't an hour class because she started late. I know some of those last songs are really short.

Her class is popular. There were 25-30 students. I'm looking forward to teaching it Monday.

OMG...the class after Zumba is Stiletto Dancing. :eek: It's in a different room. The ladies all wear SICK high heels. And I guess they learn choreo to one song during the course of a class. OMG. I was looking at their shoes and thinking to myself. No way. No way does that look fun to me AT ALL.

OMG- what I wouldn't give to see a Stilhetto Dancing class held in a pole dancing club. That would be definitely worthy of youtube. :p

I have had my knees injected with NeoVisc and I am back at zumba. Off with the pounds!

burm - I'm curious to hear about your experience with NeoVisc. I don't have arthritis yet, but given the state of my cartilage it's only a matter of time. It sounds like a wonderful thing. I am wondering how long the benefit will last before you have to do it again.

Anita - I'm starting my new schedule next week, since it's supposed to rain on Saturday and I'll go to my usual Saturday class. Then I'll start my new schedule next week. The Tuesday class I'll be taking I call "crazy Latin Zumba" because the teacher uses a lot of very unfamiliar and fast Latin music. I like him a lot, but it is a bit crazy! I like that he dances "bigger" than my other, tiny, Latin teacher. I really feel like I'm eating space in that class, and he uses some fairly balletic arms. Unfortunately I'll be traveling the following week, so I don't know if I'll be able to get any classes in. :(

Kayaking can be a lot of fun, I think you'll find it easy after Zumba. Are you talking tubing where you float down a river, or tubing where you swing around behind a boat? Or some other version I don't know about yet?

I wish I could show those stiletto-dancing women the photos of the inside of my knees before surgery. If there is one thing I wish I could undo, it is the amount of time I spent dancing in heels!

We just started doing this song, and I really like it, though our choreo is different from this:

and we've been doing this one for a while now, and the choreo is almost exactly what we do though we are not nearly as stylin':

burm - I'm curious to hear about your experience with NeoVisc. I don't have arthritis yet, but given the state of my cartilage it's only a matter of time. It sounds like a wonderful thing. I am wondering how long the benefit will last before you have to do it again.

Anita - I'm starting my new schedule next week, since it's supposed to rain on Saturday and I'll go to my usual Saturday class. Then I'll start my new schedule next week. The Tuesday class I'll be taking I call "crazy Latin Zumba" because the teacher uses a lot of very unfamiliar and fast Latin music. I like him a lot, but it is a bit crazy! I like that he dances "bigger" than my other, tiny, Latin teacher. I really feel like I'm eating space in that class, and he uses some fairly balletic arms. Unfortunately I'll be traveling the following week, so I don't know if I'll be able to get any classes in. :(

Kayaking can be a lot of fun, I think you'll find it easy after Zumba. Are you talking tubing where you float down a river, or tubing where you swing around behind a boat? Or some other version I don't know about yet?

I wish I could show those stiletto-dancing women the photos of the inside of my knees before surgery. If there is one thing I wish I could undo, it is the amount of time I spent dancing in heels!

We just started doing this song, and I really like it, though our choreo is different from this:

and we've been doing this one for a while now, and the choreo is almost exactly what we do though we are not nearly as stylin':

I just had my third shot of NeoVisc on Monday. The first one felt like the dentist hitting a nerve and holding his drill on it for a full minute. I was afraid I was going to pass out. The second shot was not nearly as bad but they do hurt. It is not like getting a needle in the arm, which does not bother me in the least.

Twenty four hours after the second shot, my knee felt great. I went to 2 zumba classes last week and was fine. After the third shot I was back to hurting like in the past. Maybe it just hit a sensitive spot and it needs an extra couple of days to settle. I sure hope so.

The shots are not covered by most insurance in Canada or OHIP, the cost comes to about $375 in all. (Canadians, NeoVisc cost only $248 at Costco, plus whatever your doctor feels like charging for a procedure that is not covered by OHIP, in my case $75 for the three).

They say that NewVisc injections last for 6 months-my doctor says that in his experience (he has been using this stuff for 15 years) they last for closer to a year. If my knees will feel as good as they did last week for at least 6 months, the cost is well worth it. I as running up and down stairs again, even first thing in the morning.

Wish me luck.

I love Crazy Latin Zumba. It was my love of Latin music and dance that drew me to zumba and I would be happy if they played no English songs at all -except for maybe I'm Sexy and I Know it. :p Also, one teacher uses Stand By Me as a cool down. That is one of my all time favourite songs.

Cumbias are probably my favourite overall.

There are so many nice zumba videos on youtube. I often search "zumba salsa" or whatever when I feel like moving a bit around the house.

Isn't this Stand by Me a pretty slow one? I love to dance bachata with my husband.

Margaret...Oh I just LOVE that salsa, the music and the routine. Thank you so much for sharing! You know I've been needing a new salsa!

Recently, I haven't spent much time working on new routines. There wasn't much need since I wasn't teaching. For the Church class, I learned a couple new ones... I said to Mom earlier, this instructor that I am covering is very challenging for me. She is very good...very fun...and covering for her is inspiring me to update my songs and continue to improve upon my classes. She sets a new bar for me to achieve for myself.

And I just can't express how helpful it is to see your post and see a great song AND routine! I'm excited for me! I'm going to buy the song and practice it and do it for Monday's class.

I am talking about River Tubing. It was popular in college to go tubing on the Guadeloupe River...but I never felt like going then.

Burm...I used to do Stand By Me as a cool down. There's a great Bachata version sung by Prince Royce and Zumba did a cover of it. It's a nice slow beat that is perfect for the end of class. I haven't done it in a while. Kelly's routine was really boring. She used it as a kind of learn the basic Bachata move. When I did it, I added a traveling option that made it feel a bit like a super simple 4-wall line dance. Considering how the instructor used a line dance cool down...this might be just the thing to bring back for Monday's class. Hmm.

Edited to add: Burm if you like Bachata...remember this one I do, Cuando Me Enamoro by Enrique Iglesius and Juan Luis Guerra. Such a pretty song. I look through my library for other bachatas if you would be interested in knowing more songs that Zumba gave to instructors recently.

Edited by Anita Latte

Edited to add: Burm if you like Bachata...remember this one I do, Cuando Me Enamoro by Enrique Iglesius and Juan Luis Guerra. Such a pretty song. I look through my library for other bachatas if you would be interested in knowing more songs that Zumba gave to instructors recently.

That is a very pretty song. Any song with those two has to be a winner.

If you can access the information easily, sure, I would like to see your list. Thanks.

All but one song is a cover by Zumba. It would take more time for me to figure out who the original artists are, but in my library, I have:

Bachata Songs:

Las Cosas Pequenas

Mi Corazoncito

Quiero Volver A Mis 20

Yo Si Me Enamore

Cuando un Hombre Se Enamora by Daniel Santacruz

ZIN members get CDs every month, usually 9+ songs. The most common rhythms that Zumba gives to instructors are Merengue, Salsa, Cumbia, and Reggaeton. Other rhythms are included irregularly. So Bachata isn't always included.

Zumba also has a tendency to mix rhythms in songs. These songs are supposed to include Bachata:

Combo Rhythms:

Como Es Que Se Llama (Cumbia/Reggaeton/Bachata/Merengue)

Ella Me Copia (Techno Bachata/Rhumba Flamenca)

Gimme Five (Batucada/Bachata)

Mi Vecina (Cumbia/Bachata/Reggaeton)

While I have probably heard all these songs, I don't recognize every song by name and may not have heard them more than once. So I'm not necessarily endorsing these songs...I'm just sharing what I have in my library.

All but one song is a cover by Zumba. It would take more time for me to figure out who the original artists are, but in my library, I have:

Bachata Songs:

Las Cosas Pequenas

Mi Corazoncito

Quiero Volver A Mis 20

Yo Si Me Enamore

Cuando un Hombre Se Enamora by Daniel Santacruz

ZIN members get CDs every month, usually 9+ songs. The most common rhythms that Zumba gives to instructors are Merengue, Salsa, Cumbia, and Reggaeton. Other rhythms are included irregularly. So Bachata isn't always included.

Zumba also has a tendency to mix rhythms in songs. These songs are supposed to include Bachata:

Combo Rhythms:

Como Es Que Se Llama (Cumbia/Reggaeton/Bachata/Merengue)

Ella Me Copia (Techno Bachata/Rhumba Flamenca)

Gimme Five (Batucada/Bachata)

Mi Vecina (Cumbia/Bachata/Reggaeton)

While I have probably heard all these songs, I don't recognize every song by name and may not have heard them more than once. So I'm not necessarily endorsing these songs...I'm just sharing what I have in my library.

We have never done Yo Si Me Enamore in zumba but I love the song by Huey Dunbar.

I am listening to the list of your songs on youtube and dancing in front of my living room window. Passers by must think I am nuts. Or, I prefer to think, envious of my dance skills. :D

Thanks.

There are so many nice zumba videos on youtube. I often search "zumba salsa" or whatever when I feel like moving a bit around the house.

Isn't this Stand by Me a pretty slow one? I love to dance bachata with my husband.

We just got done using that as a cool down song. Pretty much the same routine.

Hey Ladies...

I'm working on refreshing some of my music...checking out what is popular right now with other Zumba instructors...watch out for this one is your Zumba classes. There was a convention in LA and Lil Jon performed live there...and obviously, it appears that Gina Grant is touring right now. (She's a big time, higher up representative of Zumba if you don't know who she is):

For more of this type of song...I'm also liking this one...needs a bit of personalized tweaking for me to use, but I really love this song and this choreo is looking fun:

Back to researching...

Burm...Here's another nice Bachata:

I think Aventura is somewhat known for Bachata? Kind of the way Prince Royce is? Check out these artists for more songs...I just came across this one looking at an instructor's YouTube channel.

Edited by Anita Latte

Burm...Here's another nice Bachata:

I think Aventura is somewhat known for Bachata? Kind of the way Prince Royce is? Check out these artists for more songs...I just came across this one looking at an instructor's YouTube channel.

I have been a fan of Aventura for many years (they have been around since 1994, when 22 year old Prince Royce was just a toddler). In fact, it is Aventura that made bachata internationally popular again in recent years.

Un Beso is a beautiful song.

I really like the two you just referred to as well, Work and Booty Shake. :)

Mom, Is this the slow samba that Kisha does?

Nope. Sorry.

But, in trying to find that particular song, I came across some songs that Young used to do! Wow, I miss her....

She loved this song. Run the Show; I looked on the playlist that I have from you and didn't see it, but I don't know if you know this song cause I have a really old list.

Boro Boro, by Arash

I can "almost" remember the routines to these songs.

:(