Noro Virus on Jade

arlenez

This time of year, noro virus stems it's ugly head on most cruiselines. However, no worries, as NCL is always on top of the virus situation. It has always impressed me how NCL steps up and addresses this ugly issue. They have germ ball stations throughout the ship. The crew is always reminding you, and assisting you (in a friendly nature) to sanitize your hands prior to entering the dining areas. Should a passenger contact the virus, they make every effort to keep infestation to a minimal. As far as I am concerned NCL are germs freaks, just as I am, and that is a definate plus!:)

According to Heinbload's (sp?) blog there is a bit of a problem right now. He is on the 12 day cruise and has been reporting live. It sounded as if a small group of people who stayed in the same hotel in Barcelona brought it onto the ship. If you read his accounts it seems like they are very much on top of it and taking every little precaution they can. I am sure they do not want a repeat of what happened on the Jade last year. I certainly hope they get it under control as I sail on her for the next 12 day cruise on the 23rd.

We travel with caution! Who wants to be sick on vacation. We use the hand sanitizers whenever we pass on---a few times---and we keep handsanitizer in our room. WHENEVER we enter we clean our hands. Of course I wipe the handles and doorknobs when we arrive and clean off the remote. Wash your hands.

This time of year, noro virus stems it's ugly head on most cruiselines. However, no worries, as NCL is always on top of the virus situation. It has always impressed me how NCL steps up and addresses this ugly issue. They have germ ball stations throughout the ship. The crew is always reminding you, and assisting you (in a friendly nature) to sanitize your hands prior to entering the dining areas. Should a passenger contact the virus, they make every effort to keep infestation to a minimal. As far as I am concerned NCL are germs freaks, just as I am, and that is a definate plus!:)

Well, I'm not quite sure what you mean by "always on top" of it. We were on a 12-day Med cruise on the Jade last January; it was a sailing that followed a couple of cruises where there had already been huge noro outbreaks. But NCL kept turning the ship around in BCN, which imho did not allow enough time for sufficient cleaning, and, bingo, huge noro epidemic on our sailing as well.

It would be wrong to say "no worries" to future passengers; there were tons of folks who were sick as dogs on our cruise, and who missed ports because of it. Nothing "minimal" at all about the epidemic on our cruise.

Also, the authorities in Greece and Egypt delayed clearing the ship, reportedly because of the illness on board (at least as far as Egypt was concerned); we all lost a precious half day of our two days in Egypt.

I agree with you that NCL tries to do what it can while the ship is at sea. While we were at sea, the crew was working constantly to clean surfaces, the sanitizer balls were out in every elevator and public space, no one was allowed to enter any dining area without sanitizing her hands, there was no self-service in the buffet and no condiments on any table in any dining room, etc.

But I sure wouldn't say "no worries." I'd say: on top of what NCL does, bring your own little hand sanitizer bottles and use them frequently, make like Lady Macbeth and wash your hands whenever you can, don't touch your face, etc.

No worries was simply stated as a means to get the OP unwound about the noro virus. There is no sense getting stressed out about the situation prior to your vacation. Most adults already know the wash your hands, don't touch your face, use sanitizer and all of the other precautions. In fact, NCL will discuss all these tactics onboard if there have been noro problems. I am a known germ freak so I always worry. Ever heard of "Don't Worry Be Happy", that is all I was trying to exhibit here! :)

Archived