Docking in Nurnberg

Jesterscourt

Does anyone know where in Nurnberg the boats usually dock and how do passengers get back and forth? Do they typically stay long enough to see sights such as the **** Rally Grounds and War Crimes courtrooms? Are the tours fairly extensive or do folks go back into town on their own? All I know is we better have time to at least grab freshly roasted tiny bratwursts Nurnberg is famous for!

According to Viking, "The pier area is located in the Gibitzenhof, about four miles due south of Nuremberg city centre and the central train station."

For my Uniworld Grand European Discovery cruise, where we have passengers leaving, new passengers arriving, and passengers continuing on, for continuing passengers Uniworld will provide a motorcoach to take you from the ship into town. (They are also offering an optional Nuremberg WWII tour.)

According to Rick Steves, the Old Town is strollable, but the N*zi sites are far beyond walking distance. There is a tram that runs from the Central Station to the former N*zi Rally Grounds (the site of the N*zi Documentation Centre) every 10 minutes although I can't figure out how long the trip is.

I also can't figure out from the transit maps how convenient it is to get from the docking to the centre of town.

Jesterscourt,

The landing in Nuremberg is on the Canal near the Hafenstrasse bridge. It´s not within walking distance of anything. Cabs should be available. There´s also a bus stop on the bridge.

Nomi,

We are talking about the same landing area. But don´t make a search for Gibitzenhof as this is pretty far away from the landing.

steamboats

We are talking about the same landing area. But don´t make a search for Gibitzenhof as this is pretty far away from the landing.

steamboats

Thanks. I think I managed to figure that out later. Do you know anything about how frequent the bus might be? Are we basically looking at cab or cruise shuttle (if there is one) or could we use the bus?

Nomi,

There are several bus lines. One is 67 running every 10 min in the morning and later afternoon and every 20 min inbetween. This line takes you to the Central Station in 41 min (but you can change to the subway at Roethenbach to Central Station which is faster).

Here´s the time table for the stop on the bridge to downtown

http://www.vgn.de/efa9/efa97/roccas/AHF/00000b3f.pdf

steamboats

Nomi,

There are several bus lines. One is 67 running every 10 min in the morning and later afternoon and every 20 min inbetween. This line takes you to the Central Station in 41 min (but you can change to the subway at Roethenbach to Central Station which is faster).

steamboats

Wow! Thanks. I couldn't manage to find any of this stuff, and I'm usually very good at it.

So it seems the most convenient approach is to go on the Nurnberg tour in the morning and the optional Rally Grounds and Courtroom tour in the afternoon if that's the way they have it set up. But you mean to tell me that those that go on a Christmas Markets trip have to find their own way if they want to spend extra time at the Market?

So it seems the most convenient approach is to go on the Nurnberg tour in the morning and the optional Rally Grounds and Courtroom tour in the afternoon if that's the way they have it set up. But you mean to tell me that those that go on a Christmas Markets trip have to find their own way if they want to spend extra time at the Market?

We have found our own way back while in Nuremberg on our 2 Christmas market river cruises even though the line offered a shuttle.

Last month Avalon had a late shuttle (5:30) for those wishing to stay in port for the day. We actually hopped a train and visited Munich that day, planning our return to meet the shuttle. This did not work out as we had weather delays so we grabbed a taxi at the station.

Ok, I finally got my packet from the Nurnberg Tourist Office and took a look at their city guide and Getting Around Nurnberg pamphlet and identified the Rothenbach U2 station (vielen dank, Steamboats). Too bad the station is not within walking distance of the dock, but now I see that the Main-Donau Kanal is quite a distance from the city center. They also have a "TagesTicket Solo" costing only 4 euros for a whole day of travel per person, which seems quite reasonable.

I'm not sure what cruise you are on, so I can't really comment on your schedule. For my Uniworld Grand European Discovery we actually have 1 1/2 days in Nuremberg, with an included City tour one afternoon, and an optional 1/2 day WWII tour the next morning. Then we still have time before we need to be back on board with the new arrivals who are doing only the Rhine Discovery portion. I need to decide whether to take the optional tour or do it on my own, when I can do everything at my own speed.

Nomi,

Maybe it´s a bit easier for me being German :D!

Jesterscourt,

I´m not familiar with the Nuremberg public transportation system. So I can´t tell you what kind of ticket you can get on a bus. Here in Munich the machines on busses and trams are only working with coins and they have a limited ticket variety.

steamboats

Nomi, our trip is on the River Ambassador leaving April 22nd which is the Treasures of Prague, Rhine, and Main trip. They put us up a few days in Prague and we board in Nuremberg so I'm not exactly sure how long we'll be docked there but I'm sure we'll also be there overnight. I notice your trip leaves a week later! Give my regards to Toronto, one of my favorite cities! And it just so happens that the Toronto Symphony Orchestra will be performing in Orlando this Friday and we will be there! Steve

Steve,

Have you seen the cruise companion for your trip? This will give you a much better idea of the included and optional excursions and their timing (look at the clock face for the day).

http://www.uniworld.com/Media/US-English/2011_TreasuresPrague.pdf

You will get a nice printed copy of this brochure with your travel documents, but there is a lot of information available that you can look at now. (I was considering this tour, but at the time I booked they hadn't waived any single supplements, which for me is the main determinant of affordability. Right after I booked my cruise, suddenly all sailings waived the single supplement. I hope you have a wonderful time.)

You have an included afternoon tour of Nuremberg, with time to explore on your own, and "Throughout the afternoon, shuttle service will be provided to take you to and from the ship."

So I don't think you need to worry about the buses at all, and I'm hoping that since they are providing shuttles for you they might do it for us. (Unfortunately, for us it might depend on how many people are doing the full 2 weeks, vs. the Danube portion and the Main portion.)

Enjoy your concert! I don't go that often (I'm more of a theatre goer), but I generally get to a couple of concerts a year.

Thanks for the nice comments about Toronto. I generally like it, but we had 6 inches of snow on Saturday, and it is snowing tonight, and we expect more on Saturday again. It's only January and I am sick of it. Oh well!

Nomi, thank you so much for the Cruise Companion website. It was invaluable! I was able to learn that we arrive in Nuremberg from Prague in the afternoon and stay overnight there, with a tour the next morning with shuttle service as you have indicated. So the only transportation issues would arise if we wanted to venture into the city the afternoon/evening we arrive. Sorry about your cold weather. If it's any consolation, our temperature will go down to 32 degrees (F) tonight and this is supposed to be Florida!

For those of you who are sailing on UniWorld, cruise companions can be found on the UniWorld site/Before You Go/Cruise Companions and then there is a companion for each tour. There is an awful lot of helpful information there.

UniWorld sends you this with your travel documents, but that is only a few weeks before departure; here you can look at the details at any time.

The cruise companion info is great and really gives you a chance to read about each destination in detail and be able to think about optional excursions or what you want to do on your own. I wish they would also list the time of arrival/departure in each town as well. We usually get that information a few weeks ahead of time unless you know where to access that as well!

The cruise companion info is great and really gives you a chance to read about each destination in detail and be able to think about optional excursions or what you want to do on your own. I wish they would also list the time of arrival/departure in each town as well. We usually get that information a few weeks ahead of time unless you know where to access that as well!

I don't think that UniWorld publishes that information in advance. Every morning you get a Daily Program sheet that lists the schedule of the day's activities with information on the locations, things you might want to do on your own, and information on when you need to be back on board.

Hi Folks,

Just went on Uniworld Christmas Market cruise for Nurenburg to Vienna in early December. Great Cruise!

For your info, I found the following link to an Aussie travel agent sight with a map to the Nuremberg docking area.

http://www.aptouring.com.au/files/documents/17/29019_Nuremberg_2.pdf

Also if you use Google Map's you can find the docking area in Street View. Your view is from the bridge over the canal where the ships dock. It is known as "NuremburgHafen Ost".

Uniworld's included tour on my cruise included a visit to the **** wartime sights. The famous courtroom was Not included because it is still used as an active trial site.

Enjoy!!

Mark

Thanks for that. This map shows the s-bahn station and the walking route from there to the ship, which is very helpful.

I think that I'm inclining away from taking the optional tour on our debarkation/embarkation day, but rather travelling on my own to the N*zi Documentation centre. The only reason I might change my mind is that this will be a Saturday, and so courtroom 600 (I think that is the number) would probably be open and included in the tour.

Nomi, I emailed Uniworld and requested docking information (times for Arrival and Departure for each town) and they sent it to me. I think they need your booking number to release the information. It is nice to see how long we will be in each port and if we overnight there in case you want to make evening plans like a concert or something). Speaking of concerts, the Toronto Symphony performed a stellar concert last night and even officials from the Canadian Consulate and Ministry of Arts and Tourism were there. It was quite an event. And they have beautiful sunny 70 degree weather to enjoy the rest of their FL tour.......

I think that we started our conversation last Saturday when we had a big dump of snow. We had another on Tuesday. I woke up to another this morning. As I sit in my study, I look out over my small back porch, and there is about 10 inches of snow on the railing. I'm tired of it!

The concert sounds like it was quite something! I hope they played well.

I'll email UniWorld for information. Thanks!

Nomi,

steamboats

I have 3 questions here. The first one is that this timetable shows transportation for Furth Hauftbahnhof, and not Nurnberg Hauftbahnhof. Is that correct? In that case, we would definitely want to change to the U-bahn at Rothenbach.

Could you get us the return schedule from Rothenbach U-bahn to Rotterdamer Str? I tried really hard, but I can only find online electronic timetables, which aren't very helpful.

Someone else has also posted a map that shows a walking route from Nuremberg S-Bahn station Eibach to the docking area. I assume that if we are in the harbour area, roads aren't that close together, so this might be a bit of a hike. I think the U-Bahn/bus combination is the best option (unless Uniworld provides a very frequent shuttle). Does that make sense to you? The day pass for one person costs 4.20 Euros, and it will take me to other places like the documentation centre.

Thanks so much for your help.

Archived