Miracle 2/20-2/27 "snapshot" review

mikeymars

Literally got home about an hour and a half ago, so this will be brief (would like to write the "novel" type review, but would rather hit the headlines while my memory is still fresh).

Embarkation: we lucked out, and if you can too, do the following: due to slight mess up by van firm, we arrived quite early at the terminal 2 pier around 10:30. There were already a handful of other embarkation passengers there, and the security people were helpful in letting us know where to stand while the terminal cleared of "disembarkers." By 11:15, we were allowed into the terminal, and were literally the second group to check in. As a result, we were put in "group 1," and were among the first to board an hour and 15 minutes later.

That stated, the highlights, O.K's, so-so's and lowlights of the following seven days:

Sea days: if you want to hang out by the pool, don't drive yourself nuts trying to get the proverbial "seat right next to it." Tables off to the side work just as well (and are a heck of a lot better for eating), and here's a "secret:" Go into the spa locker rooms early and grab a locker. This gives you a secure place to keep valuables, access to wonderful warm showers (unlike the freezing ones by the pool) as well as a beautiful steam room and sauna when you want to get away from the pool mobs.

The cost for that spa use? Nada. Zero. Nothing.

Food:

lido: definitely the best variety of lido dining I've ever seen. Must admit one disappointment: tried out the supposedly great Reuben sandwich at the deli, and dumped it after two bites (yes, I'm used to the New York variant, but even if I wasn't, the corn beef in that Carnival attempt was horrible - full of gristle and poorly cut). Everything else we had was either more than acceptable or in some cases (the won ton soup) excellent. Another nice element: no matter how busy Horatio's gets, you can always find a seat.

I just wish that designer Joe Farcus (who CC gushes over as being incredibly "well read") knew his nautical history better: the model of the 1782 American frigate the U.S.S. Constitution on the mid starboard interior section of Horatios restaurant is flying...a Union Jack. Trust me, while I chuckle about that error, any navy man who sees it (all knowing the history of that vessel against the British during the War of 1812) wouldn't find it funny at all.

Cabin: I don't need to preach the gospel of "a balcony is worth it," so don't need to explain why we sprung for a category 8I. On first glance, it seemed small, but turned out to be quite liveable. I just wish Carnival would copy Disney and put in those wonderful split baths....Also, we (and other passengers in balcony cabins we spoke to) noticed that the sounds of balcony doors in other cabins slamming really carry, which can get annoying late at night.

Dining Room: lucked out again; we were seated on second level of Bacchus at rear, which per other reviews is indeed the choice spot in the room. Service was generally very good; I did get the sense the headwaiters prefer and work harder for large, older multi-couple groups (they're more "profitable," e.g. flatter 'em and you'll get a fat tip) than couples and small family parties (ours was four). All the beef and pasta we had was good to very good, with a handful of appetizers reaching towards the excellent category. Desserts (as others have observed) have been somewhat downscaled as Carnival is trying to drive business to the extra cost "dessert cafes" down on decks 2 and 3.

Shows: the good news: absolutely incredible house band and vocalist Yolanda Barber (on last sea night); truly word class musicians all.

The "O.K.": the two big dance production shows ("Generations" and the "Ticket To Ride" Beatles Tribute). Lots of glitz and lasers, but those used to genuine seven-figure Las Vegas productions quickly sense the repetitive coregraphy and the fact that "star' female vocalist Ashley Smith is clearly an alumnus of that "drama club wanna-be" clique we all knew in high school (ergo, don't worry about running into her on Broadway - her "one-note-approach-everything-I-sing-sounds-the-same" quality insures that). Her partner Scott Turner is a little better, but neither deserves the "incredible vocals of" label Carnival slaps on the show promotions.

The other stuff? Comedians were "acceptable." Hypnotist Mike Harvey takes a while to get going and occasionally wanders off into a little too much self-promotion, but once into the actual hypnosis part of his show he produces some of the most entertaining stuff you'll see in the showroom all week. I didn't check out that passenger talent show (a.k.a. "Miracle Idol,") but my wife and daughter said it was actually not that bad.

Oh, yeah - the ports of call:

Caymans: we did a private snorkeling/stingray sandbar/city tour (Captain Bryan's), and I can't recommend this approach strongly enough. The ship snorkeling/ray excursions are cattle calls. Shopping in the pier area did not impress.

Costa Maya: if you do this right, it is indeed the "sleeper" stop of the cruise. Upon disboarding, we walked right though the fabricated "port" area and caught a bus to Mauhaul. Did the good 'ole "hang out on the beach like a Corona commercial" thing for about four hours, which was nice (wife got a massage, son did sandcastles, daughter has hair braided, I vegged out -- which was exactly what I wanted to do) until loud mobs from the Royal Caribbean ships started showing up (town was dead when we arrived about 10:30 local time).

We then went back to the fabricated port and watched the "Mexican cultural show" (cute but gets repetitive after the first three acts). Kids wanted to try the pool at the "port village ," but upon entering found it full of algae and dead flies. A little shopping latter, we were back on ship.

Oh - we did Nick and Nora's that night - presentation very classy, beef good but not of the true choice quality of the Mortons/Ruth Chris/Smith and Wollensky stratosphere Carnival implies.

Cozumel: did sea lion encounter package at Chankanaab that I booked online. As others have observed, this is much more intimate and less choregraphed than the dolphin encounter (the excursion group mobs herded in and out of those make it anything but "intimate"). We also snorkeled in the shorefront area, and both my wife and I (experienced certified divers) were impressed with the variety of marine life and relatively good condition of the reef.

Belize: it's been said before, and I'll say it again: if you don't plan a sea or rain forest oriented tour here, don't bother getting off the ship. We did the River Walker/Altun Hun Carnival package, which I give a sold "B" to (river component was an A-/B+, lower overall grade due to too much time on buses and the fact the poor tour guides had to invent a whole story about "preventing hurricane damage" when one of our fellow excursion passengers asked them why all the houses had bars on the windows). We lucked out and saw dolphins (apparently the "rare" sighting, but the manatees were nothing but brown blobs that appeared at best for a split second).

Disembarkation: up until now, Disney held my prize for managing this best but I'll now hand it to Carnival. We were off the ship and in a cab to the airport by 9:30 - without EVER waiting in line!

Nice review! Thanks for posting. :D

You're welcome - and I should have added "more than willing to answer any questions." Didn't mention that we cruised with our two children (daughter 11, son 8), so I have insights and some definite opinions about the Camp Carnival program if any other parents are curious.

Thanks for the review... We are getting closer and closer and any review is welcome, but a 'good' one is what we like to see.. And the disembarkation timing puts a smile on my face as we have an early flight out of Tampa.. :)

Thanks for taking the time to post the review, especially so quickly.. :p

Thanks for the review... We are getting closer and closer and any review is welcome, but a 'good' one is what we like to see.. And the disembarkation timing puts a smile on my face as we have an early flight out of Tampa.. :)

Thanks for taking the time to post the review, especially so quickly.. :p

Stlrboo, thanks, I by no means want anyone to interpret this as a "bad" review, but rather an objective one by an admitted tough grader. No cruise is perfect, but overall I feel Carnival provided a lot of value for what we paid and the family really enjoyed the week. I'm sure others from our roll call will be posting comments about the cruise, so view my perspective as just that - one perspective. For all I know, someone else loved the reuben sandwiches and hated the hypnotist!

We were on the Miracle the week before you and loved it! Just curious about the crowd during President's Week (since we're thinking of doing it and bringing our 15-year old son next year). Were there a lot of kids on board, and how were they? During our week there were quite a few, but they were very good. I'd say almost half of our ship was from Michigan - it was their school vacation week.

Have to agree with you about the balcony doors slamming - and it was the best/fastest debarkation for us every, too - unbelievable - we were at the airport before 10:00 a.m. and able to get on a flight home to JFK two hours earlier.

We were on the Miracle the week before you and loved it! Just curious about the crowd during President's Week (since we're thinking of doing it and bringing our 15-year old son next year). Were there a lot of kids on board, and how were they? During our week there were quite a few, but they were very good. I'd say almost half of our ship was from Michigan - it was their school vacation week.

Have to agree with you about the balcony doors slamming - and it was the best/fastest debarkation for us every, too - unbelievable - we were at the airport before 10:00 a.m. and able to get on a flight home to JFK two hours earlier.

Queen, an "older grandmother" type my wife started talking to one day up on the lido deck told her the purser's desk had said there were "over" 500 children passengers onboard last week.

Frankly, that was less then we expected given the school holiday period. Kids were visible, but not nearly at the level of our Disney cruise back in 2002 (week before Easter), and there seemed to be just as many couples (younger and older) as families when we walked the dining room every night during early seating. Anyone who wanted to avoid kids could have spent days on the Sun deck and evenings in the lounges and seen hardly any.

Overall, kids were very well behaved (better than we've seen on other lines like Celebrity): I credit it that to attentive parents who generally kept their broods on short leashes.

In fact, the only "bad" behavior I experienced all week was when I got on one of the midship elevators on Monday afternoon, and encountered a group of about five young adolescents (12-14 age range). They were all giggling, and it was immediately apparent why: one of them had done the old "get on the elevator and punch every floor so the thing becomes an extreme local" thing. Upon noticing that, I immediately said "I'm sure you all -- like just about every kid on the ship this week -- are from the Northeast. I've got news for you: a lot of people from other parts of the country -- and there are plenty on this ship -- don't particularly care for the Northeast. In fact, they hate New York, New Jersey's a bad joke, and Massachusetts -- I won't even go there.

And you're exhibit A of why they feel that way."

Exit next floor.

Guest Time2gocruzn

I have read that some ships are trying out a differnt method of debarking the ship, which I have heard works well. Did they call the luggage tag colors one by one or are they going to the new method too? THX!

I have read that some ships are trying out a differnt method of debarking the ship, which I have heard works well. Did they call the luggage tag colors one by one or are they going to the new method too? THX!

Djklove, yesterday on the Miracle, the '"new" method was used for the first time, which involves no "color" groups and only two debarking announcements.

A little after 8am, an announcement was made that debarking was open for those doing self-debarking (ergo, carrying all their own luggage). Although it wasn't announced, I suspect that those with "VIP" tags were also able to leave then. You have to request those in advance, and they are only available to those with either (a) printed itinerary proof of flights before 1pm or (b) a party including someone with a clear, confirmed disability, ergo, in a wheelchair.

About 9:15, general debarking was announced. That allows anyone on any deck to leave. I think Carnival is still testing this out, given they'd requested the day before that everyone "not rush the door" at the same time. We again lucked out here, we happened to go down to the Metropolis lobby about five minutes before the general debarking announcement was made, when only about two dozen people were lined up at the exit. As soon that announcement was made, a massive flood of humanity started appearing behind us. So I suspect Carnival is going to have tweak this.

Love getting everyone's insight. Very good snapshot. We are doing Capt. Bryan's also. which Catamaran were you on? (I hear there are two.) Did you have any trouble getting a tender ticket to get to Capt. Bryan's?

June

Stlrboo, thanks, I by no means want anyone to interpret this as a "bad" review, but rather an objective one by an admitted tough grader. No cruise is perfect, but overall I feel Carnival provided a lot of value for what we paid and the family really enjoyed the week. I'm sure others from our roll call will be posting comments about the cruise, so view my perspective as just that - one perspective. For all I know, someone else loved the reuben sandwiches and hated the hypnotist!

"Give it to Mikey, he won't like it, he hates everything" (Life commercial circa 1978)

Granting the fact that I was born and raised in Massachusetts (Go Sox and Pats) AND I highly recommended the Rubens in my miracle review, I could be slightly insulted by your remarks (wink). Instead I thought you did a good job in presenting an objective, interesting angle. Good Work. You are a (typical NY native) tough grader however, as you readily admit.

Thanks again

Sweetpea, my general read on the Camp Carnival program on the Miracle:

Good news: counselers - as patient, perky and focused as what we experienced on the Inspiration five years ago. Frankly, I'm more impressed with the child staff on Carnival than what I saw on Disney in 2002 (counselers there much less outgoing, seem very "compliance" focused).

Programming: lots and lots and lots of activities, less structured as the kids get older. My son enjoyed a night doing group games, and my daughter quickly made friends who joined her in an act for the talent show.

So-so: facilities: Pinnochio's (the children's center) is classic "we need to put the kids center someplace, so stick it in this leftover space." Historically, this has been a converted set of cabins at the rear, but on the Spirit class ships, it's a slightly larger (but still cramped feeling) space way up near the bow. Older kids (over age 8) get to do most of their activities in lounges or up on the lido deck, so this is less of an issue for them.

Negatives: none.

June, we did Captain Bryan's 10:30 Buccaneer three hour, three-stop excursion. This is the blue catamaran, the one with the bar. The Hannibal ( the red one) goes out on shorter two-stop excursions at 9:30 and 1:30. We booked the 10:30 because we were worried about being able to get ashore early enough for the 9:30 (9:00am check in), plus we liked the idea of a longer tour.

In retrospect, if we had wanted to, we probably could have just made the earlier excursion; we were able to get on a tender by around 8:30 and were ashore by a little before 9. So we actually ended up killing time in the rather tacky tourist area right near the pier before the four to five minute walk to the English Bakery.

K9, I'm a Massachusetts expatriate living in New York. Was born in Boston and grew up in a suburb west of the city, so "blame" my critical standards on what I learned as a New Englander, not the culture here. At any rate, after all the "curse" guff I've taken from Yankee fans over the years, I really, really got revenge in spades last October!!

Actually, on that subject, I was amused at the annoyed looks on a lot of the Yankee fans on the cruise (I can pick these people out a mile away) everytime some New Englander with a RED SOX WORLD CHAMPIONS t shirt walked by.

We have been on many cruises and the spirit class ships are the best. We were also on the Belize river tour and were quite impressed. Even on Presidents week the kids on board were great and everything seemed organized. We were on Voyager of the Seas last year and it was crazy. We also thought that Costa Maya was the best port.

Great cruise! There were 740 kids about on board. Many families were together.... at shows, walking around, sitting on decks...

The weather was great and the Miracle is a great ship. I think I prefer the lay out of the Fantasy class better except for the dining room. We loved the disembarkation. I had the corned beef & pastrami combo and it was delish. Did not care for the pizza but my kids did.

On Saturday, they had a fruit bar with the chocolate fountain.

We had a really relaxing week.

I somehow missed the meeting in the library for our roll call. :(

We shall cruise again!

Did not care for the pizza but my kids did.

On Saturday, they had a fruit bar with the chocolate fountain.

Pizza was O.K., perhaps more than O.K. if you like the really thin crust variety and got it fresh out of the oven. I also tried the made to order caesar salad at the pizzeria late one night, and was impressed. What I got was made to order from scratch in front of me and was excellent, better than the dining room variant.

The chocolate fruit-dipping bar was also held on Thursday, and on several days, the rear lido deck ice cream area had an afternoon sundae setup. That was great if you got there early; unfortunately, once word got out, it was swamped and was the only place all week where I witnessed some people blatantly cutting into lines (and not just kids, some of the worst abusers I saw were several rather corpulent adults!)

K9, I'm a Massachusetts expatriate living in New York. Was born in Boston and grew up in a suburb west of the city, so "blame" my critical standards on what I learned as a New Englander, not the culture here. At any rate, after all the "curse" guff I've taken from Yankee fans over the years, I really, really got revenge in spades last October!!

Actually, on that subject, I was amused at the annoyed looks on a lot of the Yankee fans on the cruise (I can pick these people out a mile away) everytime some New Englander with a RED SOX WORLD CHAMPIONS t shirt walked by.

I had a Patriots/Red sox shirt for every day of the cruise. I am also a very large man with very little hair and not one New York Yankee fan said a word to me. Imagine that. (lol)

I think most of your observations on your trip were very astute.

Thanks again Brother

Dotshub, The Miracle did go back to terminal 2 on sunday 2/27. We were very lucky. This was my first Carnival cruise and I loved it. We had the best time ever on a cruise, I meet the best people. We had a blast! The kids were great, I will be going on another Carnival cruise next president's day.

June, we did Captain Bryan's 10:30 Buccaneer three hour, three-stop excursion. This is the blue catamaran, the one with the bar. The Hannibal ( the red one) goes out on shorter two-stop excursions at 9:30 and 1:30. We booked the 10:30 because we were worried about being able to get ashore early enough for the 9:30 (9:00am check in), plus we liked the idea of a longer tour.

In retrospect, if we had wanted to, we probably could have just made the earlier excursion; we were able to get on a tender by around 8:30 and were ashore by a little before 9. So we actually ended up killing time in the rather tacky tourist area right near the pier before the four to five minute walk to the English Bakery.

I just checked and the Buccaneer is the one we are signed up for. I am a science teacher and really wanted to snorkel all three spots. Thanks for the info! Now I know I won't have to rush around and try to get an early tender ticket!!

June

You Obviously Also Have A Big Head

TDK

I am also sorry you felt free to be so rude as to post something like this. Since you do not know me, you sure show a lot of Chutzpah to insult me on these pages. Then again, I see you are from "Lawn Guyland" New York, which explains a quite a lot doesn't it?

Anyway, I hope you and your family enjoyed the Miracle cruise you just returned from.

God Bless

Then again, I see you are from "Lawn Guyland" New York, which explains a quite a lot doesn't it?

On that tangent, I could tell there weren't that many Long Islanders on the ship last week, because I noticed (while taking my son up to the top of the waterslide entry platform) that the topless sunbathing deck was practically empty.

I saw the Miracle at terminal 2 on Feb 20, when you left. Did she come back to the same terminal on Feb 27, or did you have to get bussed from Hookers point?

good review, thanks.

We will be going in June.

Dotshub, trust me, if the Miracle had been diverted from Terminal 2 to Hookers Point (where the heck did THAT name come from? Uh, let's not go there...) on return on 2/27, you would have certainly heard about it from me no matter how short my review!!!!!

Archived