Have any of you sailed Pride of America?

2cruisecats

We were on Pride of Hawaii (2nd to last cruise before NCL pulled their second ship out of Hawaii - economic). Enjoyed the very port intensive cruise. Can't compare between NCL and HAL because two different types of cruise experiences. Yes, we have don't quite a few HAL and have done the San Diego/Hawaii R/T on HAL.

For us, the HAL is just too many sea days, although we love sea days. We do a Hawaiian land trip almost every year, but did really enjoy the NCL 7 day cruise of the islands. We thought of the NCL ship of a floating hotel. Contrary to what some, we encountered very friendly crew on the NCL trip.

I say, go on the NCL cruise, but certainly don't expect it to be a HAL cruise!!!!

Agree with other posters, think of this as a floating hotel and plan to enjoy the scenery and whatever tours you decide on.

The cabins were small, the balcony was small and the beds were not good.

Service was totally lacking and the crew frequently just plain rude.

Food in the main dinning room was barely edible and that is being generous. Specialty restaurants were good however.

If you want to whale watch--Jan. & Feb. are the best, a few whales remain in March, none in April. (We have been to Hawaii many times, only cruised there once)

Entertainment aboard ship was unremarkable.

Gary & Jane

We sailed POA 6/09 for our 25th wedding anniversary. I had read all the negative reviews as well, so we were pleasantly surprised. Our experience was very much as Tinsnslus and Tamaracboy have both stated in their previous post. This is a wonderful way to see alot of islands in short time and yes, we would do it all again in a heart beat! Go and ENJOY the beauty of Hawaii!

I have been on the POA twice and on HAL (Westerdam) only once. I would not give up a trip to Hawaii just because it is not on HAL ship. The only difference I saw was the food was better on the Westerdam and the food on the POA I compared to the food on the RCCl ships.

I have only been on one HAL cruise so maybe I just don't get how it is so much different than any other mass market cruise line. It was a great cruise because of where I went (Alaska for the 3rd time) and the family I traveled with. I didn't have any real complaints except for never finding a place to eat at the buffet for breakfast or lunch but the food was good.

On the POA I was happy with the crew, the entertainment, the beds, and it has the very best library for a quiet place to relax. I would love to go again.

Archived