Azura Caribbean Dress Code

meggawatt

Hi all,

We sail on the Azura for 14 days in the Caribbean in March (first time with P&O) and would like to know from those who've recently sailed on her in the Caribbean what the score was regarding the semi-formal dress code for men.

23kgs isn't a great deal and I'm loathe to take another jacket in addition to my dinner suit just for the 2 semi-formal nights.

I consider myself at the smarter end of the dress code range but, having cruised many times with other cruise lines, have never found it necessary to wear a sports jacket ... All the other lines relax this aspect due to the climate and permit smart trousers/smart shirt without a jacket on all nights other than formal.

Any advice from recent cruisers gratefully received.

Thanks in advance

MW

We are on our 1st P&O cruise on Azura flying out on 5th Feb - we have done Royal Caribbean twice before and I asked on the P&O website forum about the dress code and found that it is much more "regimented" than we have been used to. I also read on there recently that someone was asked to leave one of the dining venues on semi-formal night as they didn't have a jacket on!

I agree with you for the luggage allowance and the sake of 2 semi-formal nights it does seem crazy taking an extra jacket to be honest the dress code mentions a jacket for semi-formal night but no mention of a tie and in my opinion I think my husband looks just as smart in a shirt and tie as he would in a shirt and jacket without a tie :confused:

Yes, I've read conflicting reports which is why it would be good to hear from someone who's recently sailed on her and can tell it how it is.

Chances are I won't take a sports jacket and we'll eat in the buffet on the semi-formal nights if jackets are required ... Very British though ... Very stupid :rolleyes:

Looking forward to the cruise though irrespective of the "jacket rage" :)

MW

We are on our 1st P&O cruise on Azura flying out on 5th Feb - we have done Royal Caribbean twice before and I asked on the P&O website forum about the dress code and found that it is much more "regimented" than we have been used to. I also read on there recently that someone was asked to leave one of the dining venues on semi-formal night as they didn't have a jacket on!

I agree with you for the luggage allowance and the sake of 2 semi-formal nights it does seem crazy taking an extra jacket to be honest the dress code mentions a jacket for semi-formal night but no mention of a tie and in my opinion I think my husband looks just as smart in a shirt and tie as he would in a shirt and jacket without a tie :confused:

mrspjotter, does it say in your personalised booklet that there are semi formal nights? We didn't have them on Ventura in the Caribbean, but I know Azura is different.

Have a great cruise. :)

Hi - yes we have 4 formal - 2 semi-formal and the rest are smart casual - I know there was a time when they were stopped in the caribbean and we were hoping we would get away with it but it doesn't look like it.

Don't get me wrong i'm happy to dress up the kids love it but it is the conflicting information that is the big problem on some cruises people said the dress code was adhered to and on others it wasn't.

Then as I said someone on I think it was the recent 28 night Xmas and new year cruise on Azura was asked to leave somewhere as he wasn't wearing a jacket on a semi-formal night - crazy when from what i've read on the P&O site there are other rules which aren't adhered to and are just overlooked!:eek:

Of course - just another question if you have previously done a P&O cruise - can you wear shorts in the MDR for breakfast and lunch or not?

On RCI we have always preferred to have breakfast in the MDR rather than the buffet unless we are really pushed for time and sometimes on sea days we will choose the MDR for lunch but i'm now thinking maybe we can't wear shorts in the MDR at breakfast or lunchtime - any thoughts?:cool:

Of course - just another question if you have previously done a P&O cruise - can you wear shorts in the MDR for breakfast and lunch or not?

On RCI we have always preferred to have breakfast in the MDR rather than the buffet unless we are really pushed for time and sometimes on sea days we will choose the MDR for lunch but i'm now thinking maybe we can't wear shorts in the MDR at breakfast or lunchtime - any thoughts?:cool:

I have worn shorts in the MDR on dozens of occasions.

Re the semi formal, ludicrous to expect men to take a jacket for 2 evenings. I will wear a tie on these nights and see where it gets me icon7.gif

BTW we are on A104 Azura 18th Feb,

Somerset Cruiser - thanks for that there just seems to be such conflicting information, we always look smart even in shorts - well I like to think so - so we'll give it a go and see what happens!

As for the semi-formal - hubby is planning to wear his jacket on the plane but if it is really warm on the semi-formal nights like you I think he will resort to a shirt and tie.

I'm guessing you've cruised P&O before - have you been on Azura?

Somerset Cruiser - thanks for that there just seems to be such conflicting information, we always look smart even in shorts - well I like to think so - so we'll give it a go and see what happens!

As for the semi-formal - hubby is planning to wear his jacket on the plane but if it is really warm on the semi-formal nights like you I think he will resort to a shirt and tie.

I'm guessing you've cruised P&O before - have you been on Azura?

Not Azura, but Oceana (and Adonia) in the Caribbean 6-7 times, a lovely sun ship, Artemis once and Oriana twice.

We have also booked Azura for Sept so I hope we like her. I say we but any ship/boat is ok for me even a Turkish Gullet icon7.gif

Not sure where you got this from HenryF72 but it is inaccurate.

The semi-formal and formal dress codes apply to the main dining rooms only and DO NOT apply to the buffet or bars ... The dress code is posted outside the main dining rooms.

I have this on good authority from someone who just came off a month's Azura cruise.

If you don't want to do formal or semi-formal then the buffet is the place for you.

Don't want to spread even more panic on these forums about this.

MW

Meggawatt - another classic example of the inconsistencies on P&O - I originally got the information from the P&O forum that the dress code applied to the whole ship each evening from 6pm and on formal nights it was suggested if I didn't want to adhere to the dress code then I should choose room service :eek:

However the P&O website quotes " In the evenings all restaurants and bars comply with the dress code of the evening, with the exception of the buffet"

So initially I was panicking like you said but then I have read accounts from people who have been on the ships and it is as you say the dress code doesn't apply to the buffet :cool:

I try and apply a little sanity ... If someone simply hasn't got a jacket it would be ludicrous to suggest that there was no part of the ship they could use after 18:00 ... People actually lose their luggage, we've known people to spend the first 3 days of a cruise with nothing but the clothes they arrived with until their luggage caught up with them at a port of call ... Great idea to suggest that they stay in their room and use room service :)

MW

On Ventura, it was announced over the PA system on Formal nights that the dress code should be adhered to in all public areas on the ship with the exception of the buffet. They didn't mention bars, but it may be mentioned in the daily ship paper. I'll have a look.

My husband & I were on the Azura Christmas & New Year cruise as first time cruisers. My husband didn't take a 2nd jacket for semi formal nights as we knew we could dine in the buffet restaurant and wanted to save on luggage. We found out the hard way that you couldn't drink in all the bars on board as we were asked to leave the Planet bar (my husband was dressed in smart trousers shirt & tie). After checking with reception we were told that the only place we could go for a drink was in Brodies. This also happened to others that we met during the cruise, so as long as you are wearing any old jacket to enter the bars there seems to be no restictions if you then decide to put said jacket on the back of your seat.

Meggawatt - another classic example of the inconsistencies on P&O - I originally got the information from the P&O forum that the dress code applied to the whole ship each evening from 6pm and on formal nights it was suggested if I didn't want to adhere to the dress code then I should choose room service :eek:

However the P&O website quotes " In the evenings all restaurants and bars comply with the dress code of the evening, with the exception of the buffet"

:cool:

which is different to what it says on page 30 of the latest P&O brochure, which states "Formal wear ... applies to all restaurants with the exception of the buffet restaurants and cetain bars." This was certainly the case on Ventura last August, the "certain bars" were Metropolis and the Red Bar, casual wear was acceptable everywhere else. However, on Oceana in December the policy appeared to be as per the web site, which caused extreme annoyance to some former OV passengers who had been assured by P&O reps onboard OV that formal dress was only required in the MDRs and in the "champagne bar" (presumably Magnums) I do wish P&O would make their minds up.

And as regards semi formal in the Caribbean, I thought that this had gone out years ago. Just what are P&O playing at?

which is different to what it says on page 30 of the latest P&O brochure, which states "Formal wear ... applies to all restaurants with the exception of the buffet restaurants and cetain bars." This was certainly the case on Ventura last August, the "certain bars" were Metropolis and the Red Bar, casual wear was acceptable everywhere else. However, on Oceana in December the policy appeared to be as per the web site, which caused extreme annoyance to some former OV passengers who had been assured by P&O reps onboard OV that formal dress was only required in the MDRs and in the "champagne bar" (presumably Magnums) I do wish P&O would make their minds up.

And as regards semi formal in the Caribbean, I thought that this had gone out years ago. Just what are P&O playing at?

Tried to edit, but my edit button appears to have gone AWOL - so

The point I am making is that P&O seem to change their minds on this so frequently that no-one knows where they stand. Brochure says one thing, website says another, onboard info probably differs again depending on ship, season and the whim of the cruise director. It all gives the impression of a company in chaos, with one hand not knowing what the other is doing and a weak and incompetent senior management unable or unwilling to get a grip on the situation. It really needs the latter to decide and publicise a clear and unequivical policy and then stick to it. Will this happen? Of course, and the pigs are fed and ready for flying!

Tried to edit, but my edit button appears to have gone AWOL - so

The point I am making is that P&O seem to change their minds on this so frequently that no-one knows where they stand. Brochure says one thing, website says another, onboard info probably differs again depending on ship, season and the whim of the cruise director. It all gives the impression of a company in chaos, with one hand not knowing what the other is doing and a weak and incompetent senior management unable or unwilling to get a grip on the situation. It really needs the latter to decide and publicise a clear and unequivical policy and then stick to it. Will this happen? Of course, and the pigs are fed and ready for flying!

Denarius,

We were on Ventura in December and I did not take formal attire. Dressed v. smart casual on those evenings and dined in the buffet or Beach House.

Drank in the pub and did not feel out of place. On 4th formal, the buffet was full of people dressed smart casual.

This was our first P&O after 3 OV cruises and we will go P&O again to the Caribbean, probably on Ventura.

I have stopped commenting on the seeming inablity of their senoir management to get a grip on dress codes etc.They seem terrified of upsetting their regular clientele, whilst trying to attract those of us that just want a laid back holday at sea.

The introduction of semiformal evenings in the Caribbean, would suggest that they are listening to the"old guard".

Seems to me like most people arent interested in semi formal anyway so why bother having it.

My hubby was going to take a 2nd suit but seems silly just for 2 nights when he will already have his tux for formal nights. I think we will go for the buffet on semi formal nights aswell and as long as theres 1 bar we are allowed in Im happy - if not the balcony it is :-) Hes also taking dark jeans for smart casual so wonder what the fussy ones will think of that ha ha

Its definitely much easier for women as I'll be taking dresses which are good for any night.

Archived