Azura Caribbean Dress Code

meggawatt

Denarius,

We were on Ventura in December and I did not take formal attire. Dressed v. smart casual on those evenings and dined in the buffet or Beach House.

Drank in the pub and did not feel out of place. On 4th formal, the buffet was full of people dressed smart casual.

This was our first P&O after 3 OV cruises and we will go P&O again to the Caribbean, probably on Ventura.

I have stopped commenting on the seeming inablity of their senoir management to get a grip on dress codes etc.They seem terrified of upsetting their regular clientele, whilst trying to attract those of us that just want a laid back holday at sea.

The introduction of semiformal evenings in the Caribbean, would suggest that they are listening to the"old guard".

I think you have hit the nail on the head. Only, I think it would be wrong for them to assume that all P&O regulars sail with them because they like formality despite what a vociferous faction on this and their own site would have you believe. Some of us do so under sufference despite it , and are prepared to put up with a few formal nights because we like the rest of the P&O product.

"To my knowledge the semi formal dress code was only ever dropped on Oceana and Ventura."

We sailed on Arcadia "Calypso Isles and Dixie" from Barbados round the Caribbean ending up in New Orleans. We only had formal and smart casual nights.

Carol x

We are on Azura 19th March and are also worried about the semi formal dress code. We have been on Ventura and Oceana and this problem has not arisen. There are four formal and four semi formal nights on Azura.

Perhaps this should be brought up when we are on the ship as there are so many conflicting reports even in their brochures.

Suggestions???

We are on Azura 19th March and are also worried about the semi formal dress code. We have been on Ventura and Oceana and this problem has not arisen. There are four formal and four semi formal nights on Azura.

Perhaps this should be brought up when we are on the ship as there are so many conflicting reports even in their brochures.

Suggestions???

We are on the same cruise, and according to our Cruise Personaliser only have 2 semi formal evenings.

We are just home from Azura

There were 2 semi formal nights in our 14 day cruise to the Caribbean and most men adhered to the code and wore a casual jacket - it is very easy no with so many variations to choose from in the shops like blazers, linen jackets or even a suit jacket and tie if you prefer but it didn't really affect weight to the case by putting a light jacket in, you could always travel in it and pop it in the case coming home.

There were men who didn't wear a jacket and were not prevented entry but that is really down to whether you feel you should follow the code in any event

Ventura does not have semi-formal and Azura would normally have 4 in a 14 day cruise but this was relaxed to 2. Any changes to printed details in brochures are on your cruise personaliser or you can telephone or e mail P&O for confirmation.

Its just really like going to dinner in a smart golf club on the casual nights - no jeans allowed.

The formal nights were black tie and gown and I would say a very high percentage dressed to the code - more than 90%

Hope this helps and hope you enjoy your cruise

Hi

I was not aware that dark jeans were allowed on casual nights - didn't see any last week but as long as you have checked there must be no problem. Just as an aside it was very hot on the ship which we have noted to P&O and lots of passengers were complaining and I would think that casual pants would be far cooler and more comfortable than jeans.

Either way I hope you enjoy

Hi

I was not aware that dark jeans were allowed on casual nights - didn't see any last week but as long as you have checked there must be no problem. Just as an aside it was very hot on the ship which we have noted to P&O and lots of passengers were complaining and I would think that casual pants would be far cooler and more comfortable than jeans.

Either way I hope you enjoy

I don't believe that they were ever specifically prohibited - certainly not in my 15 years of sailing with P&O - but were at one time rarely worn. This began to change a few years ago and P&O subsequently made it clear in their published dress code that smart dark denim was acceptable on smart casual nights. When I sailed on Ventura last August jeans were worn at dinner by many passengers.

LS78 - my hubby is taking his smart dark denim jeans for smart casual nights and so is my son - our cruise personaliser says it is allowed :rolleyes:

Hee hee I dont blame you. I think they look just as smart in any case. Hubby doesnt have casual trousers as its just not something he wears. He would usually wear a pair of smart shorts (like when we were in the Maldives) but obviously thats not allowed.

Did you see on the P&O forum there is a little meet up in the bar being arranged. Do you think you will go?

Here's a link to the P&O website with an answer specific to Azura and every cruise.

https://ask.pocruises.com/resources/carnivaluk/life-on-board/azura_2011_dresscode

Also the explanation of each of the dress codes on the website is:

Formal

This is the opportunity for ladies to wear formal evening wear such as an evening dress, smart trouser suit or a cocktail dress. For men, a dinner jacket or tuxedo are the norm, otherwise a dark lounge/ business suit and tie or formal national dress is fine. (Applies to all ships.)

Semi-Formal

Ladies can wear anything from tailored trousers to smart separates or an elegant dress, while men are required to wear a smart shirt and trousers with a jacket such as a blazer or sports jacket. A suit and tie may be worn but is not compulsory. (Semi-Formal applies to Arcadia, Artemis, Aurora, Azura and Oriana only.)

Smart Casual

Stylish resort or leisurewear is ideal, for example casual separates or dresses for ladies and open-neck polo shirts and casual trousers (not shorts) for men. A jacket and smart trousers may be worn but are not compulsory. Smart dark denim may be worn however we request that the following items are not worn: sportswear, e.g. trainers, football shirts and tracksuits. Bring your brightest clothes for our Tropical evenings. (Applies to all ships.)

LS78 - yeah I did see and i've just posted to say we'll try and make it if my mother-in-law will look after the kids?

Hope you managed to get the beach break with Spencer sorted - it sounds like you will have a great day the tour is getting excellent reviews.:D

Hi, we were on Oceana for the Christmas and New Year cruise and I must say everyone was much more smartly dressed than our previous P and O cruises. I don't know if it was because of it being Christmas, but my husband only wore his jeans on one smart casual night and felt really out of place. I kept washing and ironing his linen trousers instead.

For ladies and gents I noticed most people were dressed as a minimum in informal clothes rather than smart casual.

This wasn't a problem for me as I had taken plenty of lovely dresses, but really wished we'd packed a few more pairs of smart trousers and smart shirtsfor my hubby, rather than dark jeans and polo tops.

Hope this helps?

We were on Azura in the Carribean in November and only had late notice of the semi formal nights. My partner wore the same linen jacket with a different shirt and tie. However, many wore jackets with open neck shirts.Either seemed acceptable . I did notice some in smart casual only .

I dont think the jacket weighed that much ...

It never seemed that hot ,in my opinion ,in the public areas ,with the air conditioning ...

Im looking forward to our 2nd cruise now we have a better idea whats "expected" of us now !!!!

There's often quite a vociferous hoo-ha about wearing jeans, but in my experience on both P&O and Thomson hardly anyone does.

Carol x

I think it depends very much on the ship, the season and the itinery, which together determine the passenger profile.

On Ventura Aug 2010 in the Med, Easter 2010 in the Canaries (both school holidays) and Ventura transatlantic Oct 2009 jeans were quite common on smart casual. Some younger passengers also wore tee shirts, once - but no longer - prohibited by the dress code. On the Oceana Panama canal cruise in Dec 2010 however, jeans were only worn by a small minority. Whilst this cruise was outside the school holidays, so was the Ventura transatlantic. But there were far fewer younger people on Oceana, and under 18s were almost none existent. Interestingly, there were far fewer Goldies on the cruise as well - only 19 of us at the lunch.

• 1 month later...
On Ventura, it was announced over the PA system on Formal nights that the dress code should be adhered to in all public areas on the ship with the exception of the buffet. They didn't mention bars, but it may be mentioned in the daily ship paper. I'll have a look.

Curious! When I was on Ventura last August formal dress was only required in the MDR and select restaurants, Metropolis and the Red Bar. This is consistent with page 30 of the brochure which says "all restaurants with the exception of the buffet restaurants and certain bars"

Perhaps P&Os policy varies day by day depending on which side of the bed the cruise director got out of that day, and probably whether there is an R in the month.

They really do need to get their act together on this.

We are on a 21 night caribbean cruise on Aurora next month and we have 5 formal, 5 informal and 11 casual nights.

As the ship is air conditioned I'm thinking a jacket wouldn't be a problem to wear but we are sailing from Southampton so am guessing the only issue is travelling by plane and the weight limits.

Not having been before but is there no facility to hire a jacket for the couple of nights you are talking about? Just a thought

Hi, just got back on Sunday morning from cruising on the Azura. I turned up on the first semi formal dinner wearing a long sleeve open neck shirt, smart trousers but no jacket. I was politely turned away at the resturant doors. I was on the Ventura on November and there were no semi formal evenings.

Hi, just got back on Sunday morning from cruising on the Azura. I turned up on the first semi formal dinner wearing a long sleeve open neck shirt, smart trousers but no jacket. I was politely turned away at the resturant doors. I was on the Ventura on November and there were no semi formal evenings.

That is quite correct Ventura does not have semi formal.

With regard to Air -con this can be very coll in some places. I find the temperature in all ships to be about the same all throught the year. It is certainly not too hot for a jacket.

:):)Happy cruising:):)

:cool:

Dai

Curious! When I was on Ventura last August formal dress was only required in the MDR and select restaurants, Metropolis and the Red Bar. This is consistent with page 30 of the brochure which says "all restaurants with the exception of the buffet restaurants and certain bars"

Perhaps P&Os policy varies day by day depending on which side of the bed the cruise director got out of that day, and probably whether there is an R in the month.

They really do need to get their act together on this.

The new brochure has made changes and says on page 24

"We apply the dress codes in the majority of the restaurants, bars and in the theatres. And goes on to say it applies to all passengers over18."

So you can do you own thing but your choice of evening activities will be very restricted.

:):)Happy Cruising:):)

:cool:

Dai

Archived