Cell phones on the Epic?

jamies78

My DH and I are sailing on the Epic on March 19th, 2011. We are traveling without the kids (yipee!) but we would like to be able to call home and check on them each day. They are 3 and 2, so we need daily updates!

Does the Epic have onboard cell phone capability? We have sailed on Oasis and we were able to use our cell phone on the ship.

Any other ideas on how to contact home each day for cheap?

Thanks for your help!!

I will be on the Dawn in February. I went to Verizon (my carrier) and they gave me prices and set my phone up for international calls. They can tell you the price from each ship and each country you will be in.

In my case it is $2.49 per minute from the Dawn and $0.99 from Mexico. Check with your carrier, and then speak real fast to your kids from the ship....lol.

Be sure you call your phone company to be sure the phone you want to use is set up and has the capability to make international calls. Should not be a charge for this feature other than the per minute rate. Also I believe most ships now have the "celluar at sea" feature that allows your phone to work while at sea. also don't know the ports you are going to but if St. Thomas is one then your phone should work like normal as it is a US Territory. Nassau you can buy a calling card in the terminal bldg for $5 and use the pay phones to call home about (.50 / minute). Also many web cafes in the ports will also have the ability to call home for way less than your cell or the ship rates. I was told to ask the Crew and that really is the best tip as they will generally know the cheapest/best way to call home in the ports.

have fun!

Thanks for the advise. Both my husband and I have company cell phones, so we can't use our own for international calls. We are going to have to purchase a pre-paid phone that works internationally. Anyone tried this before?

I will have to come check out the roll call! I haven't done that yet. . . . .:)

We added a texting package to our cells and I was able to text several times a day to check in our boys (ages 2 and 3). After day 2 they didn't want to "talk" to us on the phone anyhow. I bought 50 texts for $10 or something from AT&T and didn't even come close to using them all. I called the kids while we were in port (its free in the USVI), but again, they coulda cared less to chat. Guess the grandparents spoiled them enough so they didn't care. :rolleyes:

Archived