Help convince me Balcony to Alaska

chika

Hi Everyone:

We will be sailing on the NCL Star 7/3/05...and wondering if upgrading to

mini-suite with balcony is worth the extra $$.

We will be sharing the cabin with our teenage daughters...so the room is

a big plus...but the extra money could be used on excursions.

Ohhhh, decisions, decisions.

Please let me know your thoughts!

Thanks.:rolleyes:

chika.....

I would so recommend a balcony for an Alaska cruise.

Remember, it will be daylight long into the evening hours. The sights are beautiful...all the time. You can view a glacier...from your cabin !

:D

We sailed on a different ship in a regular balcony cabin with our 2 teens last year. I can tell you, would be definitely worth it to have the extra space. By the end of the week, it was all we could do to contain our frustration. Not with having to share a bathroom, not with storage issues, but with space for our bodies to be in.

Get a second job to pay for the excursions and go for the space, you will not regret it. I have been on NCL Star (Hawaii, not Alaska) she is a nice ship and I really liked the location of the mini suites. You will love having your morning coffee on your balcony. Also, budget in a night or two for a specialty restaurant, big difference in food and service.

If you can only get one balcony in your lifetime Alaska will be the place to have it. There is so much more to see while cruising (On the caribbean you see water) youcould always go to the top decks and view the scenery from there but it will be crowded. Seeing glaciers upclose from your balcony without the crowds is priceless to me.

Thanks for all your input...I think I'm 95% there going for the suite. Me and my

husband are early risers and we would enjoy sitting out on the balcony with our

robes and enjoying life! Besides it will be a place to hid and escape from our

daughters and in-laws! I'll let you know when I make my decision!

Thanks!

My advice -- get a balcony!! We did this cruise in 2002 and are SO GLAD we got a balcony. Always had inside rooms before. One option would be to get a balcony room (not a suite) for you & DH - and book an inside room across from you for you daugters. Give you more space and privacy and they could come over and enjoy the balcony with you. You could probably do this for about the same money or even less than booking the suite for 4 people.

We had a balcony in Alaska and spent a lot of time out there. We'd start with our morning coffee out there everyday and watch for sea life and on glacier days we would run to the top and fight the crowds when the other side of the ship was close to them and then run back to our cabin when the ship turned so our side of the ship was closer to the glaciers. We also sat out there during the evening watching the views. It was dark much later and the farther north you were the longer you could just sit out and enjoy.

Hi Everyone:

We will be sailing on the NCL Star 7/3/05...and wondering if upgrading to

mini-suite with balcony is worth the extra $$.

We will be sharing the cabin with our teenage daughters...so the room is

a big plus...but the extra money could be used on excursions.

Ohhhh, decisions, decisions.

Please let me know your thoughts!

Thanks.:rolleyes:

We had a Grand Suite aboard the Vistion OTS last June. Nothing was more comfortable than sitting on our large balcony as we passed by all the glorious scenery, especially Hubbard. The views and comfort of being in your own space, far outweigh any of the excursions (and we did one at every stop along the way).

If you're every going to splurge, this is the time to do it.

Thanks for all your input guys. We did book the suite and I'm glad! I know once I got onboard I would have regretted it! I can't wait to sit out on the balcony and enjoy life!

Archived