Survey on choice of stateroom

SilkShirt

We cruise two, three or four times a year. We always start in an inside cabin and many times we can upgrade to a balcony as the prices fall. We don't like outside cabins, only inside cabins or balcony cabins. Never stayed in a suite.

In the last eight cruises we have had four inside cabins and four balcony cabins. Our next cruise (Eclipse in March) we went from a Cat 9 inside, to a Cat C2 balcony, to a Sunset Veranda all in five days with no price increase.

Solstice class inside cabins are huge and we love sleeping in total darkness! Balcony cabins are fun, but not a necessity.

Enjoy!

Kel:)

We cruise once a year. First cruise a few years ago was an ocean view and had a great time.

after two cruises moved to a balcony. Could go back to ocean view but could not book an

inside. Have to be able to see outside from cabin.

Not sure that we would only cruise every four years for a standard suite. We choose to cruise less and have a suite but in M-class Celebrity or Royal Suites. With spending money, flghts and other pre- and post-cruise costs, the cruise price itself is still less than 50% of our total cruise budget.

Eventually, we will probably have to reduce our budget but we are saving European cruises for that time. Then we will have to decided if we need to downgrade our accommodation.

Sue

Always inside!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't need to go on the balcony to look at the water. If that is the case I can see it from the deck. Also I prefer to not eat on a balcony. I can do that at home. I take the cruise to meet people and have nice conversation. It is a fact that we only use the room to get ready in the morning and again for dinner. We we go back to the room it is time for bed. Just our opinion.

To us it depends totally on the price differential between the categories. On Solstice class the difference between inside to outside to a basic balcony is minimal. Century has had suite sales this year at $100 pp per day. We have found that on certain short itineraries isolating yourself in your cabin is ideal.

If you can stay in an inside/ocean view and eat in the specialty restaurant every day and throw in a bottle of wine as well, I would find it very difficult to choose a balcony for the same money.

It's been quite a while since we booked an inside but we opt to cruise back to backs rather than getting a balcony every time.

In November we cruised for 14 days in a OV and December we splurged on an aft balcony. Balconies are nice but I'd rather cruise more often (about 20 weeks a year). But if you can afford to do it all, go for it.

Looking at these posts' date=' I am thinking that perhaps my annual vacation budget is lower than most.

Including ALL vacations in one year, what would you say is your TOTAL expenditure?

Or is this too personal a question? If it is, I appologize and don't answer![/quote']

I prefer not to be specific, but my husband and I own our home outright (no mortgage) and bought our cars for cash (no financing) so we don't have the two biggest expenses that most people have. In addition, our days of paying college tuition and making a wedding for our daughter are behind us. This gives us the flexibility to spend whatever we are willing to spend from current income on vacations.

Celebrity's non suite cabins are frequently less expensive than comparable cabins on other mass market cruise lines while their suites are usually more expensive than their competition.

Has anyone ever booked a suite on a different cruise line for this reason when a balcony cabin on Celebrity would have cost less than that suite on a different cruise line? I've done it quite a few times.

Looking at these posts' date=' I am thinking that perhaps my annual vacation budget is lower than most.

Including ALL vacations in one year, what would you say is your TOTAL expenditure?

Or is this too personal a question? If it is, I appologize and don't answer![/quote']

All vacations per year, including short weekend get-a-way trips, we probably spend between $10,000 and $12,000 each year. However, we don't have kids or any debt other than a house payment we don't spend very much on "entertainment" such as eating out (maybe once a month), movies, etc... We would rather cruise!!

We have no mortgage, no car payments, no kids, and no pets. In addition, we have three incomes. We have down sized everything; we live in a 1,100 sq ft condo; my avatar is exhibit B. Having said all that, travel is our number one priority, and we spend eight to ten weeks on annual vacation trips. Our budget is $25,000 + each year. We want this life style while we are both young enough to enjoy it.:)

Enjoy!

Kel

We have no mortgage, no car payments, no kids, and no pets. In addition, we have three incomes. We have down sized everything; we live in a 1,100 sq ft condo; my avatar is exhibit B. Having said all that, travel is our number one priority, and we spend eight to ten weeks on annual vacation trips. Our budget is $25,000 + each year. We want this life style while we are both young enough to enjoy it.:)

Enjoy!

Kel

Nice! That is my goal in the next 5 years! It is nice being double (or triple) income with NO kids!

Enjoy!

Kel

kelmac - Your last sentence sums up the way my husband and I feel. We are healthy enough to do whatever we want when we travel, and at our age who knows much longer both of us will be that way. Meanwhile, we want to enjoy life to the fullest while we still can. There are many things that I took for granted in my youth that I no longer do.

Balcony whenever possible. Better if possible.

However, I'm open to last minute trips in whatever I can afford, But even my next cruise, I ended up grabbing a C2 (from an oceanview) when it became available because I adore that balcony. It makes the biggest different to be able to have coffee/breakfast in the morning/sit in the evening.

Kelmac, you reminded me of a phrase a secretary said to me once..."You should eat your steak, while you still have teeth to chew it."

It's certainly changed my outlook a little, especially having a disease that might make me wheelchair bound in 20 years. I think my frugality keeping me in check is a good trait to have, however! LOL

kelmac - Your last sentence sums up the way my husband and I feel. We are healthy enough to do whatever we want when we travel, and at our age who knows much longer both of us will be that way. Meanwhile, we want to enjoy life to the fullest while we still can. There are many things that I took for granted in my youth that I no longer do.

We are at the same stage of life. But still we have to make choices. If we want to take 2 three week vacations a year plus long weekends here and there, we have to curtail our expenses. Sure, I would love to go on an African Safari, take an Oceania cruise which would cost over $12,000 (for an inside!), but then I wouldn't be able to take a second vacation that year, which to me is more important. So I look for good deals instead!

Archived