Survey on choice of stateroom

SilkShirt

If your finances dictated that you HAD to choose from the following choices, which one would you pick?

A: Cruise every year in the lowest price inside stateroom.

B: Cruise every other year with a standard balcony room.

C: Cruise every 4 years with a standard suite.

If your finances dictated that you HAD to choose from the following choices, which one would you pick?

A: Cruise every year in the lowest price inside stateroom.

B: Cruise every other year with a standard balcony room.

C: Cruise every 4 years with a standard suite.

Given those options I would cruise every 4 years with a standard suite. However, there is another possibility but it is not offered by Celebrity. A few cruise lines have mini suites which are significantly larger than standard balcony rooms but not quite as large as a suite and are priced accordingly. When Solstice initially announced that class of ship its concierge cabins were suppose to be larger than than they are and I was very disappointed when they made them the same size as their other non suite cabins. In addition, suites on Holland America are a lot more expensive than Celebrity's balcony cabins but usually cost less than Celebrity's suites.

I'd choose B, for three reasons:

1) I am mildly claustrophobic, so I don't handle a small windowless room very well.

2) Just my opinion, but I think a suite is a waste of money for what you actually get out of it (how often are most of us actually in the room, anyway?)

3) Cruising once a year is too often for me, because I would rather do other types of vacations as well, other than just cruising every chance I get.

1. When the ship looses power, you still have daylight in your cabin during the day.
  2. Fresh Air helps with nausea from sea-sickness.
  3. Fresh Air in the cabin 24/7.
  4. Best place for having your morning coffee/tea.
  5. Extra evacuation exit in an emergency.
  6. Can watch sail away from balcony.
  7. Best place to read a book.
  8. Can tell what the weather is like before going to outside deck.
  9. No alarm clock needed.
  10. Extra seating.;)
  11. Air dry your hair.:cool:
  12. Sunbathe in private. :o
  13. No kids.:p
  14. No smoking. :D
  15. No chair hogs.:)

Given those options I would cruise every 4 years with a standard suite. However, there is another possibility but it is not offered by Celebrity. A few cruise lines have mini suites which are significantly larger than standard balcony rooms but not quite as large as a suite and are priced accordingly. When Solstice initially announced that class of ship its concierge cabins were suppose to be larger than than they are and I was very disappointed when they made them the same size as their other non suite cabins. In addition, suites on Holland America are a lot more expensive than Celebrity's balcony cabins but usually cost less than Celebrity's suites.

I thought Celebrity's Sky Suites were comprable to other lines' mini suites. No?

I thought Celebrity's Sky Suites were comprable to other lines' mini suites. No?

Mini suites on NCL Dawn are 235 SF which is smaller than a Celebrity sky suite but significantly larger than a balcony cabin on Celebrity. However, the junior suites on Royal Caribbean are very comparable to sky suites on Celebrity.

Hi,

Definitely for us it would be option "B."

While there are those who do the insides for personal reasons which include the oft-repeated phrase "...you only use your stateroom for sleeping and changing clothes, anyway," we aren't in that group.

For us a stateroom with a balcony is our own private retreat. Yes, there are times to be out on deck in the crowds of people, enjoying the pleasure of being in the crowd and watching all the fun. But there are other times when having the private retreat is what gives us the ability to totally relax and get all the rejuvenation benefits for which we spend our cruise dollars.

As to the question of the mini suite size..., I've heard in various places that some lines (I don't know about NCL) include the balcony when listing their stateroom square footage.

And to 1937Olds, with all due respect Bridge Maven was not changing the subject. As I see you are a new Cruise Critic poster, I welcome you to that aspect of the forum, and thoroughly enjoyed your earlier post in this thread. But please allow for the normal flow of conversation on these sorts of threads. This is a very informal place for exchange of ideas, otherwise all 15 points on your first response would have also been changing the subject.

Wishing everyone smooth and happy sailings!

CM

Definately "B"! Some people love the extra space of a sky suite but if space isn't a big thing then "B" is the way to go. The extras do not add up to the cost of the room and they don't get anything that you can't get other then maybe a plush bathrobe but who really cares about how plush the bathrobe is? Just having a bathrobe to put on after a shower is enough for me. Flowers I can order for 28.00 and champaign I can order also. I can go to the specialty resturant if I want for a 35.00 pp charge and it still does not add up to the price difference I was given pp for the sky suite.

On our first cruise we had an inside cabin and thought it was great. On our second cruise we had an ocean view and thought that was even better. Recently returned from our third cruise with a large balcony in a C2 cabin. We know we can never go back to not having a balcony. We loved our balcony so much we are choosing future cruises based on when we can book the same cabin.

When my husband and I took our first cruise during the seventies, we had an ocean view cabin because there were no balcony cabins at that the time. When balconies became an option during the nineties we were use to ocean view cabins and thought they were good enough. That was until 2001 when we booked our first balcony cabin Celebrity Infinity and felt that a balcony changed the whole cruise experience. A few years later we booked our first suite on Century because at that time only suites had balconies on Century and we didn't want a cabin without a balcony. It appears that we don't miss what we never experienced but once we do it is hard to go back.

On our first cruise we had an inside cabin and thought it was great. On our second cruise we had an ocean view and thought that was even better. Recently returned from our third cruise with a large balcony in a C2 cabin. We know we can never go back to not having a balcony. We loved our balcony so much we are choosing future cruises based on when we can book the same cabin.

Ain't that the truth !!! I wonder what cruiselines will do when there finally are no more "first time cruisers" and everybody has tried a balcony cabin.

There's going to be a lot of inside real estate to make use of!!

Ain't that the truth !!! I wonder what cruiselines will do when there finally are no more "first time cruisers" and everybody has tried a balcony cabin.

There's going to be a lot of inside real estate to make use of!!

There are still some of us "insiders" left, although you wouldn't know it reading this thread!

Generally I'd say B but it really depends on itinerary for us. We have 2 cruises booked now and we're doing inside for C/NE and a balcony for the Caribbean. It's more important to us in the Caribbean, as well as cheaper!

Archived