Price Change

luv2go

I purchased our upcoming April 2 cruise in November from Expedia. Now I get an email from Holland America that says the price is lower than what we paid. Has anyone had experience with either of these price matching the lower cost? What is the best way to go about it. Should I contact Expedia or Holland America direct? Thanks for any suggestions.

I would contact expedia first and ask them to match Holland's fare reductions. They should do that. If they don't, evaluate what the cancellation fee would be vs what the cost is with Holland and if it's worth it, then cancell and book with Holland. I am not sure if you can just transfer your booking to Holland and then get the lower rate.. Would be nice if Expedia does not acknowledge the rate reduction.:)

I purchased our upcoming April 2 cruise in November from Expedia. Now I get an email from Holland America that says the price is lower than what we paid. Has anyone had experience with either of these price matching the lower cost? What is the best way to go about it. Should I contact Expedia or Holland America direct? Thanks for any suggestions.

I had this exact same thing happen to me (only I purchased thru a TA) for our April 2nd on the Veendam. I called my TA and she said that promotion was for new bookings only and it was too close to sailing date to cancel without penalty and rebook. She said HAL will not adjust fares for existing bookings.

I think this is bad customer service on HAL's part, but have experienced the opposite situation on another cruise where the price almost doubled from the time we booked until sailing date, so I still think it is wise to book early. You have a good selection of cabins and don't have to worry if the cruise will sell out while you are waiting for a fare drop that may never happen.

I agree. While getting a lowball price is great, I'd rather not risk waiting until my cabins of choice are sold out. We booked our August Prinsendam sailing a year in advance, and only a couple of cabin categories have been available as guarantees for months now. I also doubt you will get anywhere with Expedia ... but nothing ventured, nothing gained.

I'm guessing you got the "March Specials: Caribbean & Mexico" email. That does say "new bookings only". It's a last-minute-booking sale on whatever inventory (mostly less desirable locations) is still available. You would have to cancel your cabin and re-book (probably in a less desirable location). I doubt the "saving" would offset the cancellation penalty since you are past the "final payment" date.

Wow! A price reduction??

In January when we booked our Transatlantic on the Prinsendam for November, there was only one cabin left in our catagory, so we booked a guarantee. Come to look a few weeks later and the prices have gone UP between $350 and $1200 per person from the original prices we were offered!!

They must have a top notch marketing whiz (or maybe a little old lady with a crystal ball?) predicting what cabin types are going to sell out, and when!

Lane

I know this subject has been beaten to death as to booking early and getting what you want or waiting until the last and perhaps getting a better price.

I've used both methods am been happy. I think all the cruise lines use last minute reductions to fill out ships and they seldom reduce fares for exisiting bookings. We have a cruise booked for Dec. and I will watch the fares up until the cancellation penalty kicks in. Until that time you can cancel and rebook if necessary unless you went with a cruise agency that charges for cancellations.

I had this exact same thing happen to me (only I purchased thru a TA) for our April 2nd on the Veendam. I called my TA and she said that promotion was for new bookings only and it was too close to sailing date to cancel without penalty and rebook. She said HAL will not adjust fares for existing bookings.

I think this is bad customer service on HAL's part, but have experienced the opposite situation on another cruise where the price almost doubled from the time we booked until sailing date, so I still think it is wise to book early. You have a good selection of cabins and don't have to worry if the cruise will sell out while you are waiting for a fare drop that may never happen.

Our TA has never had a problem getting a price match - no matter how close to sailing we are... sorry, but I think the fault may lay with your TA instead of HAL.

I can tell you for a fact HAL will not match TAs prices after you've made final payment. I found one $200 less not two weeks after I made final payment. I got a big NO from HAL. I will be saying NO in return when offered drinks, massages, pinacle grill or anything else that is at additional cost while onboard.

I have heard that HAL will/does lower the rate. The reason TA's might not lower is because they have you booked into a "Group" that the travel agency (Travelocity or Costco or other large travel agencies, associations or groups) has created. So you have an "unknown" (to you) group rate. You should speak to HAL for the final word. They may be able to take over your reservation from Travelocity with permission from you (but you may have to get Travelocity to release you as a client as well.) This is not rebooking.

I can tell you for a fact HAL will not match TAs prices after you've made final payment. I found one $200 less not two weeks after I made final payment. I got a big NO from HAL. I will be saying NO in return when offered drinks, massages, pinacle grill or anything else that is at additional cost while onboard.

Sorry to disagree, but it has happened for us more than once - so I'm not sure whether you're saying I'm not being truthful????

We have used the same TA for a long time and they always get HAL to match - it is a fact. Maybe you need a new TA.

Sorry to disagree, but it has happened for us more than once - so I'm not sure whether you're saying I'm not being truthful????

We have used the same TA for a long time and they always get HAL to match - it is a fact. Maybe you need a new TA.

I didn't use a TA. I booked directly through HAL. cheapcruises.dom had the much lower price (including all fees,taxes, same cat, assigned room.) The website told me that if I had found their price before I made final payment they could pull the reservation and get the cheaper price. I've learned a $200 lesson. Day late and a dollar screwed again.

I would never call anyone a liar, only relate my own experience. I'll never book through HAL again, that's for sure.

I didn't use a TA. I booked directly through HAL. cheapcruises.dom had the much lower price (including all fees,taxes, same cat, assigned room.) The website told me that if I had found their price before I made final payment they could pull the reservation and get the cheaper price. I've learned a $200 lesson. Day late and a dollar screwed again. I would never call anyone a liar, only relate my own experience. I'll never book through HAL again, that's for sure.

Question for Cru1s1ng: I also saw an unbelievable rate on cheapcruises.com. I didn't call them because I'm not ready to book yet, but I am curious if you did. I wondered if their rate included any insurance. You mention the rate includes fees (assume port charges too), taxes, same cat. & room). The HAL website always defaults to platinum insurance (which is pretty costly) and therefore makes their FINAL cost seem higher when I am comparing certain sailings between various websites.

In order for HAL to reduce a fare after final payment the difference needs to be 10% or greater.

This is if it is a fare published on their website. They may or may not reduce for special fares to new bookings.

They get tighter about this all the time. :mad:

The HAL website always defaults to platinum insurance (which is pretty costly) and therefore makes their FINAL cost seem higher when I am comparing certain sailings between various websites.
Click the "none" radio button. That will remove the quote for the insurance. I highly recommend always getting insurance independently, like on www.insuremytrip.com where you can compare many plans side by side.

Click the "none" radio button. That will remove the quote for the insurance. I highly recommend always getting insurance independently, like on www.insuremytrip.com where you can compare many plans side by side.

Thanks for that web site info. I have noticed when I take out that platinum insurance $$ amount it makes a BIG price difference. But I'm never sure what a good estimate of "good" coverage to replace it will cost. :confused:

Question for Cru1s1ng: I also saw an unbelievable rate on cheapcruises.com. I didn't call them because I'm not ready to book yet, but I am curious if you did. I wondered if their rate included any insurance. You mention the rate includes fees (assume port charges too), taxes, same cat. & room). The HAL website always defaults to platinum insurance (which is pretty costly) and therefore makes their FINAL cost seem higher when I am comparing certain sailings between various websites.

Yes, I did call cheapcruises. Neither peices included insurance. You assumed correctly that both included port charges. cheapcruise was $200 cheaper, plain and simple.

In order for HAL to reduce a fare after final payment the difference needs to be 10% or greater.

This is if it is a fare published on their website. They may or may not reduce for special fares to new bookings.

They get tighter about this all the time. :mad:

The difference between HAL and cheap cruises was more than 10%, $200. I even spoke with a supervisor. I :mad: at hal too. Live and learn. I'll get the money back by reducing my shipboard account to $100 ($10 per day for tips).

Many more savy CCers have have shared with me about the benefits of not booking directly with HAL. Specifically, look for a TA that has a price guarantee.

The difference between HAL and cheap cruises was more than 10%, $200. I even spoke with a supervisor. I :mad: at hal too. Live and learn. I'll get the money back by reducing my shipboard account to $100 ($10 per day for tips). QUOTE]

I'm really sorry you had a bad experience with your cruise price. I am SO, SO, familiar with your feelings! I used to spend nights awake being outraged at stuff I was powerless to change. I finally had a really rough heart attack at age 41 and it changed my sense of priorities around somewhat, if you get my drift.

It's difficult to express the joy I have now, that I don't stress about people screwing me -- they're going to do it. It's real common among human beings.

But please try not to let it make you sad and diminish your fun -- especially by refusing to have a few drinks, eat in the fancy restaurant or go to the spa (boy did wifely ever spend a fortune in THAT one!). As you say, an expensive lesson (mine too, eh?). Check around on the web next time. There are a lot of online TAs with great prices, and even Costco sells discount cruises!

Lane

I didn't use a TA. I booked directly through HAL. cheapcruises.dom had the much lower price (including all fees,taxes, same cat, assigned room.) The website told me that if I had found their price before I made final payment they could pull the reservation and get the cheaper price. I've learned a $200 lesson. Day late and a dollar screwed again.

I would never call anyone a liar, only relate my own experience. I'll never book through HAL again, that's for sure.

This is the best reason for finding and using a good TA! I don't book through HAL, and never will. My Mom did recently, I had her switch her reservation to my TA and she was glad she did. This way we can rest assured that everything will be handled properly and we will get the best price - hands down!

I think that HAL reservations is definitely a conflict of interest - I can't possibly see how they are going to get you the best price - and your experience speaks volumes. I know there are people out there who love booking through HAL reservations - but I just don't see how they are going to do a good job for you. Our TA rewards our loyalty with all kinds of great perks.

I just checked HAL prices versus cruise value center prices for category "S" booking on the Westerdam for the October 22, 2005 transatlantic cruise.

HAL's price was $13, 798.20 for two including air from Orlando. The price at cruise value center was $9178.00 for two including air from Orlando. THE DIFFERENCE IS OVER $4600. It pays to book online. We booked the cruise back in Novemebr through Pavlus for around $8900.

General Max

This is the best reason for finding and using a good TA! I don't book through HAL, and never will. My Mom did recently, I had her switch her reservation to my TA and she was glad she did. This way we can rest assured that everything will be handled properly and we will get the best price - hands down!

I think that HAL reservations is definitely a conflict of interest - I can't possibly see how they are going to get you the best price - and your experience speaks volumes. I know there are people out there who love booking through HAL reservations - but I just don't see how they are going to do a good job for you. Our TA rewards our loyalty with all kinds of great perks.

ekerr19:

If you don't mind, can you send me contact info to the TA you use? I just booked my first ever cruise through an online TA (can't disclose name here per CC rules) and I think I got a pretty good deal, but who wouldn't want to get a better deal if available?! I still have a good couple of months to go before final payment and I am not quite sure how to go about hunting for price reductions. Thanks in advance.

LAX

Hi, Just spare a thought for British cruisers. If you use a TA here, then the price when you book is the price you pay no matter what. If the price goes down - tough.

The prices are always higher here too, it's like the $ sign is rubbed out and a £ sign put in it's place. So a $2000 cruise is often £2000 which means UK cruisers are paying nearly $4000 for the same cruise.

It's not even easy to move TA as you have to give quite a hefty non refundable deposit when you book. That's one of the resons I always use a US TA.

Soraya

Spare us Brits another thought. Companies like Princess and Royal Caribean will not allow British travellers to book via US internet sites, I note that Princess are selling a number of "reasonable" Med Cruises, which we can't access - shame really with all the low budget airlines over here.

Archived