Venice Hotels

Philandher

Thanks Christine,

That's a great help but could you confirm if it was Azamara who booked the Hotel or did you book it independently.

If it was Azamara what time were you picked up and transfered to the ship, did you get time to get into Venice and back again?

Thanks again,

BCd

Hi there,

we are on the Quest Sept 24th which starts in Venice. I have just checked our reservation & there are 2 hotels offered for the pre-cruise package:

Carlton & Grand Canal with transfers

Metropole (I assume without transfers as not specified)

You can 'google' them for the location but I assume 'Grand Canal' is central!

We have a free night booked for the first night as part of our free flights from the UK but I don't know yet which hotel.

Both in 2004 and 2008 (post-/pre-Oceania cruises respectively), we booked ourselves (based on advice of other posters on this board) the Duodo Palace Hotel, a local 4 star perhaps a few hundred steps from San Marco Square (that is where most people want to be in Venice). This hotel gives you breakfast, it does not have a restaurant, but there are plenty of restaurants in that area. The water taxi can stop right at its back door on a branch canal, so it is convenient. It is quite basic, with high ceiling though. It is not as fancy as many other hotels, but is relatively more economical.

We stayed at the Metropole a couple of years ago. It is close to St Mark's Square. About a hundred yards to the right (a couple of small canal bridges away) from the Doge Palace. It is certainly old time Venice. We found it because it was being offered by the cruise line post cruise, but we just booked it directly. It has its own little dock on the side for water taxi's for going to/from the airport and/or the cruise ship terminal.

We certainly enjoyed our stay. The building where the Metropole is in was supposedly the location where Vivaldi taught music at one time. A lot of history.

We sailed right into Venice on the Grand Canal on the Journey and docked two vapretto stops from St. Marks. It was a spectacular arrival. I don't know if the ship always docks there or if we were just lucky. Two bits of advice, if you don't mind....

1. You will have a choice of either a water taxi for abot 80 euros (you can team up with a few couples, there is lots of room)

Or

you can hop on the very inexpensive vapretto which takes you to many stops which might be close to your hotel, if it is on the Grand Canal

(We got talked into the taxi by our companions and were quite chagrined when it took only 5 minutes to cross the canal and the vapretto pulled right up alongside us as we debarked! I love taxis, but this was a ridiculous waste)

2. the tour of the Laguna is totally redundant since it just goes all the way back through the same waters you've just come through!

As for hotels, in Venice it's location, location, location! The crowds are ridiculous during the day, but you will have the place to yourself in the evening when the tours and ships debark.

Wish I was going back.

We sailed right into Venice on the Grand Canal on the Journey and docked two vapretto stops from St. Marks. It was a spectacular arrival. I don't know if the ship always docks there or if we were just lucky. Two bits of advice, if you don't mind....

1. You will have a choice of either a water taxi for abot 80 euros (you can team up with a few couples, there is lots of room)

Or

you can hop on the very inexpensive vapretto which takes you to many stops which might be close to your hotel, if it is on the Grand Canal

(We got talked into the taxi by our companions and were quite chagrined when it took only 5 minutes to cross the canal and the vapretto pulled right up alongside us as we debarked! I love taxis, but this was a ridiculous waste)

2. the tour of the Laguna is totally redundant since it just goes all the way back through the same waters you've just come through!

As for hotels, in Venice it's location, location, location! The crowds are ridiculous during the day, but you will have the place to yourself in the evening when the tours and ships debark.

Wish I was going back.

Thanks for that Syam,

We'll take all of that on-board (excuse the pun!).

It's never too late to go back.:)

BCd

My wife and I did a 2 night post cruise stay in Venice back in 2005 and we stayed at the Hotel Danieli!! It is an incredible hotel.. Our room overlooked the Grand Canal and it is only steps away from Marks Square.. We lucked out big time in choosing this hotel! A sleek water taxi took us to the airport in plenty of time.. We felt like roality! Folks.. It's worth a look!

Mark and Haps

My wife and I did a 2 night post cruise stay in Venice back in 2005 and we stayed at the Hotel Danieli!! It is an incredible hotel.. Our room overlooked the Grand Canal and it is only steps away from Marks Square
We passed by that hotel when we visited Venice. It looked very nice, but a cursory check on the web for its price this year, depending on the dates, typically 500++ euros (US$700+) per night!

We passed by that hotel when we visited Venice. It looked very nice, but a cursory check on the web for its price this year, depending on the dates, typically 500++ euros (US$700+) per night!

Yes... It is pricey.. $700 hits it about right... And it was steep for me... But... will I ever return to Venice? Maybe... Probably not though.. I did it best the first time! Venice is a tourist city... See it right!

• 1 month later...

Hi Blue Comdir,

I realise this is thread has been inactive for a wee while but wanted to let you know even though I was told by my TA when I booked in Jan this year the pre stay hotel would be one of the ones on the website you listed we are actually staying off island at the hotel Christine Francis stayed at. There seems to be quite a lot of us there from our roll call. I know it has good reviews but it is not a Venice hotel:( and with flight times getting us in at 5pm for a next day sail away I would rather not be on/off a train to get in to the sites. I think price is playing a part with it listed at $70 a night. Let us know what you end up with.

maddie

I now think the ones that I quoted are the ones you get if you pay PAY for a pre-cruise stay with Azamara. As ours is free along with the flights we're also in the cheapo - nearer to the airport than the island. :(

Hi Zennor,

I think your right. I'm guessing your TA is 'the icehouse one'? I have just seen our travel documents are online at AZ and we have no transfer voucher from airport to hotel or to the ship the next day. There is one for the ship to the airport, so I will have to call them in the morning and check it out.:(

maddie

Hi Zennor,

I think your right. I'm guessing your TA is 'the icehouse one'? I have just seen our travel documents are online at AZ and we have no transfer voucher from airport to hotel or to the ship the next day. There is one for the ship to the airport, so I will have to call them in the morning and check it out.:(

maddie

We have a different TA but I think that was a standard offer. Do report back on the transfers as our TA assured us that all transfers between airport, hotel & ship were included. Would be interested in knowing what time the transfer from hotel to the ship is (although we are on a different cruise!)

My wife and I did a 2 night post cruise stay in Venice back in 2005 and we stayed at the Hotel Danieli!! It is an incredible hotel.. Our room overlooked the Grand Canal and it is only steps away from Marks Square.. We lucked out big time in choosing this hotel! A sleek water taxi took us to the airport in plenty of time.. We felt like roality! Folks.. It's worth a look!

Mark and Haps

You're right - the Danieli is worth every penny. The breakfast room patio that overlooks the Grand Canal can't be beat. You're also close to St Marks Square, etc., It has it's own dock which is important. Walking thru the streets dragging your luggage is not fun.

Hi Blue Comdir,

I realise this is thread has been inactive for a wee while but wanted to let you know even though I was told by my TA when I booked in Jan this year the pre stay hotel would be one of the ones on the website you listed we are actually staying off island at the hotel Christine Francis stayed at. There seems to be quite a lot of us there from our roll call. I know it has good reviews but it is not a Venice hotel:( and with flight times getting us in at 5pm for a next day sail away I would rather not be on/off a train to get in to the sites. I think price is playing a part with it listed at $70 a night. Let us know what you end up with.

maddie

Maybe you should just pay for another hotel that you would prefer.

Hi Zennor,

Spoke to TA today they said that all tansfers were included and not an issue about the fact that we only have a return voucher and that AZ would be there to transfer us. She said we would find out on the airport pickup when we would depart the next day. The hotel is room only so brekkie is extra. When I asked about our hotel not being in Venice she replied the other ones online must have be full:rolleyes: and it was up to AZ. The transfers in Venice/Athens are the main things for us as we are tight for flights so a train journey it will have to be.

Although th TA couldn't confirm the departure port I have had confirmation from another CC'r that it's San Basilio so that is really handy to board have lunch then hop off for a couple of hours to see the sights.:)

Maddie

Hi Zennor,

Spoke to TA today they said that all tansfers were included and not an issue about the fact that we only have a return voucher and that AZ would be there to transfer us. She said we would find out on the airport pickup when we would depart the next day. The hotel is room only so brekkie is extra. When I asked about our hotel not being in Venice she replied the other ones online must have be full:rolleyes: and it was up to AZ. The transfers in Venice/Athens are the main things for us as we are tight for flights so a train journey it will have to be.

Although th TA couldn't confirm the departure port I have had confirmation from another CC'r that it's San Basilio so that is really handy to board have lunch then hop off for a couple of hours to see the sights.:)

Maddie

Thanks very much. Do report back how it all goes. Ours is not until September! We end in Rome but have booked an excursion that day which includes airport transfer so should be OK.

Archived