New to HAL - Oosterdam cabin advise

sandyh422

I am planning a 15 day Hawaii cruise on Oosterdam in 2012. I have been looking at deck plans and see that most of the V category staterooms are on decks 4 and 5. I also see that there are life boats below deck 4. Can you tell me which deck is the better and what is the best location of the cabin. Also, is it true that a midship room would be the best location to be in when there are rough seas.

Also, if anyone has cruise to Hawaii, can you advise if there is enough entertainment and things to do during the sea days?

I was on the Oosterdam sailing the week of Oct 2 to Mexico. We were on deck 4 at the very back of the ship. It was wonderful...But the seas were so calm I thought we were on a lake. I do think the lifeboats will block your view on that deck because we walked around the promenade and they were hanging above us. Hope this helps some

I am planning a 15 day Hawaii cruise on Oosterdam in 2012. I have been looking at deck plans and see that most of the V category staterooms are on decks 4 and 5. I also see that there are life boats below deck 4. Can you tell me which deck is the better and what is the best location of the cabin. Also, is it true that a midship room would be the best location to be in when there are rough seas.

Also, if anyone has cruise to Hawaii, can you advise if there is enough entertainment and things to do during the sea days?

Hi there. I have photos and descriptions of many of the Oosterdam Staterooms and Public Areas of the ship at the following URL. http://joanjett2000.topcities.com/HAL/Oosterdam/index.html There are V category staterooms on Decks 4-8. Some are in better locations, as I am sure you noted via the Deck plans. But 1st hand comments and actual photos tend to help me out better than deck plans:)

I've been in VF 5054 a mid ship Handicapped stateroom (bend of the ship) on Oosterdam, you can see my view from the verandah at the link above (Click on Deck 5). While I did not have the Tenders/Lifeboats directly below me, they were to our left and still did not block our views. As others who've been in the staterooms above the tenders/lifeboats have said, they seldom looked down as they were to busy looking straight out:)

Joanie

Any of the VD cabins on deck 4 (middle or aft) will give you a totally unobstructed view out to sea. The lifeboats are not an issue at all.

You should also know that these balconies are 1.5 feet deeper than all the other V category balconies on any deck (other than the cabins on the stern, of course).

The VF cabins at the front have a full metal balcony instead of glass like all the other V cabins on that deck. This limits your view out to sea to when you are standing at the rail.

For the money, VD is the way to go. They are preferable to VA, VB and VC on deck 5.

Archived